Schemes & Stones Quick Reference (Arcanists)

Khyodee

Comments on things that I at least consider noteworthy that were not included:

"Sparks; can turn other models into constructs and give constructs fast" well yeah, but after seeing Hazardous Work Environment shut down synergies/combos (much less to say entire models like Colette who many seem to just like to use for Prompt), that should probably be called out too (in my mind)

I'd also add a mention of Kang under Mei too as he can do a lot against constructs/undead/terrifying.

But if those are too specific of instances since it depends on what you have in your crew too I could understand why it is not included in the "general" list.

Sieze the Day - pluses to init flips seem to be a big thing locally, maybe that is just a local thing though.

I don't know if people will make the connection from Practiced Production and something like Malifaux Raptor & "Leave Your Mark" on first glance. I know a few that have been blind sided by that even after reading the Upgrade.

• Like 1

Very useful for folks unfamiliar with Arcanists.  I misread the part about Howard's trigger, though, and thought you meant that he had it built-in.  Aside from that, a good rundown of the masters and things you might expect to see with them, along with a few power players in the faction.

38 minutes ago, 7thSquirrel said:

Comments on things that I at least consider noteworthy that were not included:

"Sparks; can turn other models into constructs and give constructs fast" well yeah, but after seeing Hazardous Work Environment shut down synergies/combos

Last time I used Sparks he had a couple of turns of making something fast (including the Coryphee Duet), but his biggest impact on the game was intimidating my synergy-reliant opponent into giving me early board control.

• Like 1

What does Sandeep do?

Allows models in his crew to take CA actions on his card (each Ca action once per turn)

Please mark that this cast suffers -1 Ca, this is often missed when calculating totals

[UPG] Gains action that lets him take damage to draw a card when friendly models discard a card. 

Friendly Academics only.

Thanks for the review, looks good to me

I would also add to the Colette summary that she multiplies AP when it comes to scheming: friendly minions and showgirls withing her aura can do (1) interacts as (0) instead. This plays into other things that she does with Scheme markers, and with some practice can make working certain combinations of models, strats, and schemes much smoother. It's something to look out for because it means that as long as Colette is alive and nearby, a single model can score Claim Jump, and certain models like Performers can perform Set Up in a single activation.

Mei Feng has a conditionally long non-linear threat range. She can also use Rail Walk to get out of combats that she doesn't want to be in and target things that otherwise thought they were safe. If a friendly construct or any scrap marker ends up about 11" off of and in LOS to a scheme runner or support model, Mei Feng can reach that model. This comes up if she's not babysitting her crew with Vent Steam.

Under Ramos, he has the ability to detonate his own spiders to clear conditions (like Accused!), or they can merge into a swarm that will drop those conditions as well and have the ability to eat scheme markers. Schemes relying on setting conditions on opposing models are not going to work as well against Ramos.

Also, under Sandeep, one of the things to look out for is how far he can project power and control on the board. In standard deployment on a 36" table, he can put Banasuva with 3" :melee, immunity to pushes and inability to walk, and positives on the attack with min damage 3/4 in the opposing deployment zone in Turn 1. All while being a min damage 3 Master himself. People caught off guard by this often find themselves stuck in a bad way.

On 23/03/2017 at 7:25 AM, spooky_squirrel said:

I In standard deployment on a 36" table, he can put Banasuva with 3" :melee, immunity to pushes and inability to walk, and positives on the attack with min damage 3/4 in the opposing deployment zone in Turn 1. 

As Banasuva has to do damage to a friendly nearby Gamin when summoned or he evaporates immediately, am I right in thinking this would also need a 'leaping' Wind Gamin, the Ice Golem's toss, or that new "swap a beast and a construct" upgrade + probably a raptor to achieve? 

5 hours ago, madaxeman said:

As Banasuva has to do damage to a friendly nearby Gamin when summoned or he evaporates immediately, am I right in thinking this would also need a 'leaping' Wind Gamin, the Ice Golem's toss, or that new "swap a beast and a construct" upgrade + probably a raptor to achieve? 

Can't swap with the raptor, it's a peon

So I like it, and it parallels well with what I was thinking about doing - a shorthand list of model stats so that a player could look at them quick and easily see what a model is capable of. Losing in Malifaux is often determined by lack of knowledge rather than tactics (though the Red Joker flipping on damage multiple times doesn't help!), and something that a player could consult taking up less than a page would help.

Considering how few models there are in the game per faction, a quick 2-page double column list of a faction's models, with one-sentence notations about Enforcers/Minions/Peons and longer notations about the more important models, would be within reason.

One thing that might help is a quick one to three word phrase that sums up a model. Howard Langston, Melee Beater. Silent One, Casting Beater Healer. Colette, Control Buffer. Rail Golem, Melee Tank. Performer, Control Schemer.

7 hours ago, madaxeman said:

Nope, Sandeep summons the ice/poison/whichever Gamin in first, then summons Banasuva. What gets him across the table is his own stuff moving up and copying his lure (Wind Gamin is great for this), then one or more Oxfordian Mages using their attack's push trigger to bump him another 6"-8" max each (Nemesis Ward can get a max of 8" on the push), then when Sandeep activates, he can (0) to place another 6" up the board. He only needs two AP to summon the support Gamin and Banasuva, so if he's not yet close enough, he could walk.

I've been going with Ice Gamin with Commands the Wind because it gives positives on the attack from the upgrade, can (0) for Bite of Winter, and has 5 wounds. Banasuva comes in either immune to slow or with a 3" melee, copies Frozen Heart and goes to min damage 4 with BoW's effect and having positives. All of this happens about 8-9 friendly activations into my turn, which means I'll have the final say in the turn in most cases.

Earlier in the turn using the Beacon ability, I can get an extra AP out of Sandeep to either summon in a Gamin or walk a little more towards where he's going to be putting in work. All of this absurd mobility is coming from Sandeep, a hired Gamin (or Kudra in a pinch), and the Oxfordian Mages.

One more comment: I think that any [UPG] items should be listed last That'd be a good organizational tip to help players easily find what's on a base card and what's on an upgrade card. I kind of see that you've got a set organization for grouping a given Master's Movement/Defense/Attack/Buffs together, but separating out the UPG items would let players know what's consistent across the board and what's variable much more easily.

I mean, it's GREAT. It really, honestly, 100% is, and is perfectly usable now. It just could be slightly better, at least in my opinion.