Moments of Levity

Joel

So, I managed to get another cheeky game in this week, and this time I decided to drop the pariah upgrades and just work in-faction.

standard deployment turf war

claim jump

eliminate leadership

accusation

last stand

frane for murder

my opponent declared Ressers. Table was a town square - buildings, fountain, trees dotted about.  No real issues on movement but plenty of cover. 

I chose the following crew:

leveticus (oathkeeper, desolate soul, to earth return) 3ss cache

2 hollow waifs

ashes and dust

desolation engine (oathkeeper) 

vanessa (oath keeper)

2 abominations 

My opponent went with:

McMourning (spare parts, couple of others) 6ss

zombie chihuahua

sebastian

phillip and nanny

nurse

canine remains

hayreddin

given this I opted for frame for murder on the desolation engine and accusation.

the game involved me throwing the desolation engine forwards, killing hayreddin, getting it killed by McM - getting frame for murder - reforming the engine thanks to Vanessa's (0) action - killing anything he moved up to contest turf war.  

Ashes and dust boxed Sebastian into a corner and accused him a bit before killing him in a later turn (giving up 2 frame for murder points)

leveticus killed the canine remains, making an abom and then took Phillip to the point of death and drained my opponent of soul stones to keep him alive. He later punched 11wds off McM and accused him. 

Vanessa camped on the centreline shooting things, using her deck manipulating trick to randomise into combat with accuracy and surge for more cards. She finished off Phillip. 

The desolation was taken down again, but on the killing of the last enemy model on turn 5, had the aboms to reform it a 3rd time. 

Score was 10-3 at the end (he'd got one turf war point). 

Looking at my crew at the end of the game, it was minus 2 aboms and the 3 oathkeeper upgrades only...

I enjoyed this crew a lot, and Vanessa was so potent I might  make her a regular feature for a while. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Joel said:

So, I managed to get another cheeky game in this week, and this time I decided to drop the pariah upgrades and just work in-faction.

standard deployment turf war

claim jump

eliminate leadership

accusation

last stand

frane for murder

my opponent declared Ressers. Table was a town square - buildings, fountain, trees dotted about.  No real issues on movement but plenty of cover. 

I chose the following crew:

leveticus (oathkeeper, desolate soul, to earth return) 3ss cache

2 hollow waifs

ashes and dust

desolation engine (oathkeeper) 

vanessa (oath keeper)

2 abominations 

My opponent went with:

McMourning (spare parts, couple of others) 6ss

zombie chihuahua

sebastian

phillip and nanny

nurse

canine remains

hayreddin

given this I opted for frame for murder on the desolation engine and accusation.

the game involved me throwing the desolation engine forwards, killing hayreddin, getting it killed by McM - getting frame for murder - reforming the engine thanks to Vanessa's (0) action - killing anything he moved up to contest turf war.  

Ashes and dust boxed Sebastian into a corner and accused him a bit before killing him in a later turn (giving up 2 frame for murder points)

leveticus killed the canine remains, making an abom and then took Phillip to the point of death and drained my opponent of soul stones to keep him alive. He later punched 11wds off McM and accused him. 

Vanessa camped on the centreline shooting things, using her deck manipulating trick to randomise into combat with accuracy and surge for more cards. She finished off Phillip. 

The desolation was taken down again, but on the killing of the last enemy model on turn 5, had the aboms to reform it a 3rd time. 

Score was 10-3 at the end (he'd got one turf war point). 

Looking at my crew at the end of the game, it was minus 2 aboms and the 3 oathkeeper upgrades only...

I enjoyed this crew a lot, and Vanessa was so potent I might  make her a regular feature for a while. 

Interesting interesting.  I've been crutching on Necropunks so hard haha, I take one in almost every levi game as it usually means 3 points for claim jump (It's just not worth the resources needed to kill one unless you play heavy snipers).

On 4/9/2017 at 4:27 PM, keget said:

I can't wait to try the following.  I think the amount of things that I can fling in and not worry about getting them killed will be very hard to deal with.

50 SS Outcasts Crew (9 activations)
Leveticus + 5 Pool (attacker)
 - Pariah of Bone 
 - Desolate Soul 
 - Oath Keeper 
Hollow Waif (extra life)
Hollow Waif (extra life)
Ashes and Dust (fast beater, and teleport point)
Bete Noire (in your face, hope she and an abominations can come out turn 1)
Johan (anchor and midfield beater)
Flesh Construct (super ⚓)
Necropunk (scheme runner)
Abomination (extra activation, get card off A&D turn 1, card off FC turn 2, and clogger for mid feild)

Will let you all know how it works (fingers crossed that I can play it on Tuesday). Any thoughts before then I would love to hear.

Thanks,

Steven

All,

So I did get to play my Levi army on Tuesday.  So here is my battle summary.  Std Deployment, Headhunter, CJ, Dig, Accusation, Undercover Entourage, Recover Evidence.

His army (approx.) Ramos, Howard, Captain, gunsmith, Willie, fire gamin, arcane effigy and some upgrades.

Final score (7-6).  We both got 3 for HH, I got 1 for Dig, and 3 for UE on Levi.  He got 1 for accusation, and 2 for RE.  We did not get a turn 5.

Big picture points:  Tough crew for Bete.  Lots of armor, and she only ever popped out of my aboms (as the things I killed on his side were neither living nor undead).  At the crew building level , I should have swapped out the Necropunk (yes he did great, see below), but with the S&S a belle would have made it a bigger and easier win.

Levi – Killed several spiders, killed fire gamin, made 4 (I think) abombs.  Did his job, and got to the endzone.  Note: all his kills (as he was poping out abombs) dropped no scrap, driving Ramos crazy.

A&D – Under performed a little.  The fight was too much in the middle for him to charge in.  He was a good point for Levi to teleport to (did it twice) and made the necropunk and the flesh construct fast.

Bete – Paralyzed 2 models, but his effigy, just removed it.  Killed gunsmith, keep popping out of my abombs, right in the middle of his crew.  Was accused, and just buried herself to clear it.  Did well considering the opponent was about the worst for her.

Johan – Did his job.  Was anchor, did a ton of damage and killed Ramos when given the chance late game.

Flesh Construct – Super anchor, got 2 heads, when fast killed a spider in one hit, walked onto a head and cleared his accusation.  Funny note, even with his def down to 2, a spider could not hit him.

Necropunk – almost died to fire gamin shots/burning.  But got away and was to full health 2 turns later.  Dropped a ton of schemes (but always just a little too far away for dig).  Got one head.  Great 5 points.  This S&S pool is one of the few that would make me consider not taking him again, other wise almost an auto include.

Abomb – Got me 2 cards on first 2 turns.  Walked him right out into the open on turn 2 and Willie was kind enough to blow him away….letting Bete out and allowing her to charge right in.

Waifs – Did their jobs.  I made one mistake with them…I was trying to guard an evidence marker and should have stood her right on it.  Instead I walked past it and he had Howard (who did not attack all game, but picked up 2 heads and 2 evidence markers in this game) walked around her to pick it up.

Will totally try this team again.  Enjoying talking Levi, please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Steven

• Like 3

I've been playing in the UK doubles GT this weekend, so 5 more games with Leveticus as part of the crew.  

The 25ss I used as my crew were:

leveticus (oathkeeper, desolate soul, tally sheet)

2 waifs

2 abominations 

ashes and dust

(in a couple of games I swapped ashes and dust and tally sheet out for a desolation engine with oathkeeper)

my partner took Parker:

parker (stick up, highwayman, oathkeeper)

doc

sue (return fire)

johan

Hodgepodge effigy

( in two of the games we used a trapper instead of Johan)

too much to go into details, but Levi did ok - nothing really stellar or interesting, just workmanlike.  The combo of models doesn't have any special combo or synergy, but can draw several extra cards a turn and even generate 2-3 extra soulstones a game.

we won all 5 games in the event and took first place, defending our title from 2016.

Outcasts have a few options to ignore Armor, some always on while others are Triggers.

• Ronin, 6ss - Always ignore Armor with their Daito attack.  Has a :crow trigger for :+fate to damage to better guarantee the higher end of their damage track.  Can add up quickly with their Flurry, but only 1" melee range makes this difficult sometimes.
  • Bishop, 10ss - Ignores Armor, Hard to Kill, and Incorporeal on a :tome trigger.  At the start of Bishop's activation, you can choose to add any suit to all duel totals until end of activation to guarantee the trigger you need.
  • Strongarm Suit, 10ss - Damage cannot be reduced on a :ram + :crow trigger, with the :ram built in.  This is better than Bishop's ability.  Not only does it get past Armor and Incorporeal, it goes through other abilities that reduce damage such as Arcane Shielding.  Does not stop damage prevention via soulstones or other means.
  • Hans, 8ss - Ignores Armor on a :tome trigger, ignores Incorporeal on :mask trigger.  He has a (0) that allows you to discard a card to apply its suit to all duel totals for the remainder of the Activation, which allows you to guarantee the trigger you want.

• Like 2

All,

So I got to try the same Levi army again.  Here is my battle summary.  Std Deployment, Headhunter, CJ, Eliminate the leadership, FFM, Leave your mark, Covert Breakthrough.

His army – Tara (Dead of winter, Knowledge of eternity), Nothing Beast (void shield), Aionus, Scion, void X3, malifaux child.

Final score (6-6).  We both got 3 for HH, I got 0 for FFM on Johan (with 2 henchmen, and the fact that he always kills Johan made me take it, but not this time) and 3 for leave your mark.  He got 3 for FFM and 0 for Eliminate. 

Big picture points:  Another tough crew for Bete.  Again almost nothing on his side could she pop out of, once again she only ever popped out of my stuff.  Also this time he could attack buried things, so Bete and Levi were not safe underground (and they were attacked there).  I picked wrong with FFM.  Was surprised at how much this crew killed this time and how little his crew did (only killed abombs).  Eliminate or breakthrough would have been better choices.  Finally, not sure if all the abombs I made helped or hurt in HH.  He got to place some heads, but I got one of them, and he did not go after others because he picked up abomb heads.

Levi – Killed a Beast, void, Tara, and while slow picked up a head.  The beast was fast and unburried 12.2 inches away on turn 1 and he was ready to charge.  I could have engaged with A&D and see what would happen or do what I did.  Activated Levi, 0 to move up 6 inches into base with abomb (the exploded chest guy died like 4 times this game, this being the first) and shot.  Flipped no SS and did 4.  Second shot, burned stone and flipped RJ damage.  So it never got to activate, but did net him 3 points for FFM.  Later, Levi did end up killing Aionus with def trigger.

A&D – Got into the mix in this game.  Did 6 damage to Aionus (he stoned all 3 times for weak), killed Child and made an abomb, took 4 damage to gain me cards, ran to endzone to ensure leave your mark.  My good opponent did not think he did 13 pts of stuff.  He may be right, but gave me a lot of options, and will keep him in and try and make better use of him.

Bete – Started in field as could be attacked while buried.  Turn 1 moved her to be a distractor, and a target.  Got attacked early in turn 2 and was buried, and only could get back out at end of turn when Levi popped out of a waif (which thinking of it now may not have been legal, please chime in with an answer).  Charged Aionus and did some damage.  Will still say she well considering the opponent was about the worst for her.

Johan – Sorta did his job, but did not die.  Was anchor, charged Aionus (he took a ton a damage, but used like 6 stones staying alive).

Flesh Construct – Super anchor, helped block Tara’s not interact aura so I could get heads, put some damage on Tara

Necropunk – Even with a void and the scion trying to stop him from getting leave your mark (and they delayed him one turn) they could not. 

Abomb – Got me 2 cards on first 2 turns (second turn was from a summoned one).  Was the jumping to point for Levi, and was just a general pain.  Made a few and had many die.

Waifs – Did their jobs, and this time helped to block Tara aura.

Still liking the number of activations this army has, and the number of things that are just a pain to really kill.  Again, a tough match up, but that can mean it can only get better.  Your comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, keget said:

Sorry all, did not mean to kill the thread.  ?

Thanks,

Steven

Lol, don't think you have.  I've been thinking about what to try next with Levi - so I've gone to the pariah upgrades and tried to build lists that ONLY use pariah models (aside from the waifs of course).

i found this easy to do for iron and much tougher for bone, but all were fairly silly ? I'm looking forward to trying them out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crimzzen said:

I've really been struggling to keep bete in my lists. Her output even with a paralyze trigger is a bit low for 8SS imo as is her suvivability. I get that she can come back but you pay a steep price for that in essentially having a 5 card hand and always losing a 10+.

I look at it as the 10 card games at least 2 actions (usually more, and a card) to make me use it.  I like that trade.  That said, what are you thinking to replace her at 8 stones?  Always open to a better use of stones.

• Like 1

Hi folks.

Last saturday i had a 50ss tournament in Madrid, Spain. Played 2 of 3 games with Levy, finished 3rd (2nd game was against the best player of Madrid and probably Spain, I used Hamelin, but 9-3 was the best I could earn). The crew was the following

Levy - Bone and To the earth return, 6SS

2 Waifs

A&D

Johanna

2 Rotten Belle

Flesh Construct

Bete Noire

1st game was against Perdita

Guard the Stash | Claim Jump, Eliminate the leadership, A quick murder, Undercover entourage, Dig their graves

Picked Eliminate and Quick murder.

1st turn Effigy and Perdita died (Eliminate the leadership), 3-1

2nd turn, Died santiago, Abuela and francisco half life down, Greed trying to do things, the reporter scheming. (He did the stash and Claim Jump) (4-2)

3rd turn, Reporter, Abuela and Francisco died (A quick murder), blocked his claim Jump. ( 8-2)

4th 'n 5th turn, Greed an perdita totem running away, i just was taking the stashes (10-2)

-------

3rd game was against dreamer.

Extraction | Leave your mark, Accusation!, Set Up, Tail 'Em. Picked Leave your mark and Set up (Teddy).

1st turn. He pushed 1 Teddy (had 2) Up to pass the half of the table. Levy killed him with an Earth return and red joker. Johan and Flesh golem advanced near the sides with 1 waif for leave your mark.

2nd turn. Filled the confidant zone with scheme markers for set up, johan and flesh continued advanced. Insidious Madness dying, non relevant hit exchange. Took the confidant (1-0)

3rd turn. 2nd teddy charged a waif due to a big fail with a fence, The construct saying that is not his trouble and started scheming, johanna at the other edge scheming and protecting a waif. A&D killing nightmares. Took again the stash, not letting my opponent leave his side. (3-0)

4th turn. Lured teddy into the markers. He killed A&D. Desolation core, Levy and Bete killed Teddy and set up triggered. Construct continued Scheming. Johanna trying to Hold Dreamer, an insidious and the widow, killied a stitched. A&D reformed. Controlling again the confidant, but he managed to take 1 point too. (8-1)

5th turn. Construct scheming again. Johana trying to hold them again. Levy Killed Widow. Earned last 2 points, (10-2)

This crew is a meat tresher with semi-inmortal Beaters. Give it a chance.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2017 at 7:35 PM, keget said:

I look at it as the 10 card games at least 2 actions (usually more, and a card) to make me use it.  I like that trade.  That said, what are you thinking to replace her at 8 stones?  Always open to a better use of stones.

Yeah it's a fair point but I don't think she's any better or worse at drawing cards out of an opponent than similar models in that roll.  If an opponent just naturally flips high, do you cheat a high card in an attempt to beat it (increasing the number of cards we're into bete for)?  I'm also finding between A&D and bete playing so far forward I've got issues with keeping anchors around for the much slower waifs.

I'm thinking of just swapping her for a trapper or Joss.  So torn because I think she's neat :P

Edit: I'm also thinking of taking Bigger they Are on Dust.  I use him to chase down other big beaters who usually have an upgrade.

49 minutes ago, crimzzen said:

Yeah it's a fair point but I don't think she's any better or worse at drawing cards out of an opponent than similar models in that roll.  If an opponent just naturally flips high, do you cheat a high card in an attempt to beat it (increasing the number of cards we're into bete for)?  I'm also finding between A&D and bete playing so far forward I've got issues with keeping anchors around for the much slower waifs.

I'm thinking of just swapping her for a trapper or Joss.  So torn because I think she's neat :P

Edit: I'm also thinking of taking Bigger they Are on Dust.  I use him to chase down other big beaters who usually have an upgrade.

I do not cheat in a high card unless there is a good reason for it, but again, with a def of 7 and 4 wounds, even if they flip a high card, it still is at lease 2 attacks.  I agree that I have A&D and Bete forward, and they often are not anchors.  Just as Johan and Flesh are slow and often are back to be my anchors.  That said each game I have had one turn where Levi turned into waif, and I was glad that I had 2 things way forward that could be an anchor for it.  I don't find that I need a 3rd anchor in the backfield.  

I will pay attention to next game to see if Bigger they are would help A&D.  I know that last game it would not, but that Tara list is not the norm.

• Like 1

So, last night I had a game vs arcanists.

standard deploy extraction 

claim jump, dig graves, mark for death, eliminate leadership, show of force.

i used this:

levi (iron, oathkeeper) 1ss

2 waifs

2 soulstone miners

9 steam arachnids

i kept the miners buried on turn 1, meaning I started with no anchors on the table. I chose claim jump and marked for death. 

I was facing a colette list of:

colette (arcane reservoir, nothing up my sleeve, the surge on prompt upgrade), 2ss

cassandra (practised production)

carlos (stunt double, imbued energies)

slateridge mauler (0ss upgrade)

2 corpyhee

performer

my opponent picked show of force and marked for death schemes.

The levi list looks weak, but the number of activations more than makes up for that.  It is possible to get 18 activations in a turn if required.  (levi, 3 waifs, 9 spiders, 3 swarms, 2 miners)  It also gives you the ability to place anchors on the fly which was interesting.

The game was close.  turn 1 my opponent formed the duet only for levi to drop oathkeeper and use 2 focussed shots to blow it off the board.  He then killed levi before he could activate in turns 2-3 costing me waifs and killing power.

My opponent took an early lead as he was able to get marked for death points from the spiders and I couldn't shift cassandra from getting show of force.  we were both scoring extraction and I was moving the marker each turn, but it wasn't until turn 5 that I could deny him a point from the strategy as his crew was amazingly mobile.

In the end the game finished 10-9 to me as in that last turn I got initiative (despite a soulstone from my opponent) and levi punched cassandra off the planet while a swarm finished off carlos leaving him with only colette on the board and unable to contest extraction.

super fun game though and its a list I'd use again.

• Like 3

How do you feel errata and wave 4 have effected your consideration of Bone vs Iron Levi?

I feel like Iron has spiked in usefulness thanks to the fact that we can get away with not using our bury (0) every turn. Eating a Mech Rider summon for 2 cards at the beginning of an activation feels like it would be huge. But what really attracts me is the Terracotta Warrior flipping whatever upgrades we take into Oathkeeper, since 2-3 activations with 5 AP (counting Channel as an effective +1 AP) is almost back to the effective 6AP/activation we used to have.

Has anyone tried this? I own neither the Rider nor the Warrior, or I would try it myself...

2 minutes ago, VaudevillianVicious said:

How do you feel errata and wave 4 have effected your consideration of Bone vs Iron Levi?

I feel like Iron has spiked in usefulness thanks to the fact that we can get away with not using our bury (0) every turn. Eating a Mech Rider summon for 2 cards at the beginning of an activation feels like it would be huge. But what really attracts me is the Terracotta Warrior flipping whatever upgrades we take into Oathkeeper, since 2-3 activations with 5 AP (counting Channel as an effective +1 AP) is almost back to the effective 6AP/activation we used to have.

Has anyone tried this? I own neither the Rider nor the Warrior, or I would try it myself...

Rider is great with Levi, as you said it's two zeros for 2 cards which is fantastic.  I don't see the point in hiring a terracotta warrior thou. It's a lot of points to save 1 point and an upgrade slot. Levi crews traditionally don't need the protection.

9 hours ago, Joel said:

So, last night I had a game vs arcanists.

standard deploy extraction 

claim jump, dig graves, mark for death, eliminate leadership, show of force.

i used this:

levi (iron, oathkeeper) 1ss

2 waifs

2 soulstone miners

9 steam arachnids

i kept the miners buried on turn 1, meaning I started with no anchors on the table. I chose claim jump and marked for death. 

I was facing a colette list of:

colette (arcane reservoir, nothing up my sleeve, the surge on prompt upgrade), 2ss

cassandra (practised production)

carlos (stunt double, imbued energies)

slateridge mauler (0ss upgrade)

2 corpyhee

performer

my opponent picked show of force and marked for death schemes.

The levi list looks weak, but the number of activations more than makes up for that.  It is possible to get 18 activations in a turn if required.  (levi, 3 waifs, 9 spiders, 3 swarms, 2 miners)  It also gives you the ability to place anchors on the fly which was interesting.

The game was close.  turn 1 my opponent formed the duet only for levi to drop oathkeeper and use 2 focussed shots to blow it off the board.  He then killed levi before he could activate in turns 2-3 costing me waifs and killing power.

My opponent took an early lead as he was able to get marked for death points from the spiders and I couldn't shift cassandra from getting show of force.  we were both scoring extraction and I was moving the marker each turn, but it wasn't until turn 5 that I could deny him a point from the strategy as his crew was amazingly mobile.

In the end the game finished 10-9 to me as in that last turn I got initiative (despite a soulstone from my opponent) and levi punched cassandra off the planet while a swarm finished off carlos leaving him with only colette on the board and unable to contest extraction.

super fun game though and its a list I'd use again.

Interesting list. Do you feel going the spider route for activation control was needed? My standard list of 9-10 models usually has activation control (or gets it quickly) with a bunch of business models.