Toshiro and Shifting loyalties ( a new player needs help )

areanl4

Ok guys please help me out in very simple terms here ! :) ( ive played 2 games so far, so very very new )

We are starting a shifting loyalties campaign and i am going to go with Toshiro as my henchman..

MY question is do the Yokai work well with him as they have the just a taste trigger on their attack  which states : After succeeding against an enemy, place a corpse marker in base contact with the target . 

Does this mean after a succesful attack i can use toshiro to make an ashigaru from this corpse token ? and what exactly does it mean 'after succeeding against an enemy '?

Please keep explanations simple ( if you can !!!!! ) as im trying to get my head around the malifaux rules as we speak ! :)

Thanks in anticipation.

For the Yokai to drop a corpse marker they must attack an enemy model with their Kama, have a crow in the final duel total (so have used a Crow card in the duel) and declared the just a taste trigger and won the duel.

If those all happen, then they will drop a corpse counter, and Toshiro can attempt to summon an ashigaru from that corpse. (if you have bought the right upgrade for him) (He can only do that in his turn, so the corpse will have to be made before he activates).

If they attack a friendly model, or don't have a crow (or have instead declared another trigger such as soul burn), or lose the duel, then they won't get the corpse. Hope that's clear

It's not a great pick, as if the Yokai doesn't get killed, he likely sacrifice every game and pick up injuries really quickly. A better choice for a similar effect would be an Obsidian Oni: they have a built in trigger to drop a scrap markers from their cast attack, so you don't need the :crow and can do it from further away. Komainu are also probably slightly more useful in most situations.

I ran a Toshiro shifting loyalties list with 2 illuminated that worked pretty well: just made corpses by killing stuff. This was magnified by gaining instinctual on Toshiro so my early turns went like this: activate one illuminated to move up; activate Toshiro and put fast onto first illuminated; activate second illuminated and move up; second turn Toshiro makes second illuminated fast, drops a scheme marker and then burns it to give both illuminated focus. You now have 2 fast, focused illuminated, possibly with :+fate to :melee. That will do some fairly spectacular damage to anything.

• Like 1

Getting injuries on a 5ss model isn't the end of the world. If you have a lower Crew Rating your scrip bonus will see you in the green for the majority of any campaign.

Case in point I ran two High River Garbage Monks who accumulated their max injuries after two games and netted me scrip just for playing against people. Good times.

Trouble is that the Yokai are almost guaranteed to die in every single match. Minions with 2 injuries that gain another are annihilated and removed from the crew. Unless you hoard low cards to avoid injuries, they have a very limited shelf life in a campaign.

But I can definitely see cheap models with injuries being a viable campaign strategy. The extra soulstones and scrip are not to be underestimated, and many of the injuries are highly situational.

1 hour ago, Carecalmo said:

Trouble is that the Yokai are almost guaranteed to die in every single match. Minions with 2 injuries that gain another are annihilated and removed from the crew. Unless you hoard low cards to avoid injuries, they have a very limited shelf life in a campaign.

But I can definitely see cheap models with injuries being a viable campaign strategy. The extra soulstones and scrip are not to be underestimated, and many of the injuries are highly situational.

All true. Good thing Yokai are "free" hires each week if you need more ^_^

I think Yokai should perform well with Toshiro helping them along. They're twice as fast as Punk Zombies and hit almost as hard for much cheaper. Plus, crazy apes going bananas are fun.

• Like 1