gozer

I'm looking into getting a crew lead by Nekima with one or two Black Blood Shaman as support. However, I'm not sure what types/quantities of nephilim I should run. Here's what I'm wondering:

Should I field more terror tots and focus on growing and scheme running with them?

Instead, should I focus on young nephilim for a kill squad with mature growth as a bonus?

Or, would an even mix of both tots and young nephilim be most advantageous?

Also, are mature nephilim worth bringing?

How about Black Blood Shaman: one or two?

Finally, are there any other models that might synergize with this "divey", black blood slinging party?

Thank you!

If you want to go that way and want to stay in theme you should have a look at Barbaros and the twins. Barbaros has grow shenanigans and the twins are solid. Especially Lilitu can help you Lure your prey into a position where you can eat it with something that grows afterwards. 

I don't have any experience with growth lists but from reading the forums one gets the impression that they are not very reliable. You can't guarantee that something will grow and building your list only for that purpose could be a trap. In casual games I'm quite sure these kind of lists work quite well if you focus on achieving your schemes and not on growing. Good luck and tell us how it worked out. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gozer said:

How about Black Blood Shaman: one or two?

Finally, are there any other models that might synergize with this "divey", black blood slinging party?

1. One, and the Doppelganger. Much better than a second BS and you can still pustule up to five times.

2. Illuminated. Give them the Blood Infusion and set the world on fire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mutter said:

1. One, and the Doppelganger. Much better than a second BS and you can still pustule up to five times.

2. Illuminated. Give them the Blood Infusion and set the world on fire.

I absolutely love both these ideas. I knew the Doppleganger was tits because of her initiative cheat, but I never considered the synergy from copying a Shaman.

Also, I already have illuminated so yay! I will try this idea out too! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gozer said:

I absolutely love both these ideas. I knew the Doppleganger was tits because of her initiative cheat, but I never considered the synergy from copying a Shaman.

Also, I already have illuminated so yay! I will try this idea out too! 

Keep in mind that the Doppelganger does not get the triggers.  So no healing or giving plus flips.

17 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

But you can't copy the triggers that the BBS has, which is a lot of their usefulness.

That is true, but quite often it's more about spamming the BB damage. But you're right, that is indeed a disadvantage.

In almost all situations I'd still rather have the doppel and a shaman rather than two shamans. Especially seen as the doppel can copy Illuminated/Nekima, too, to get her hands dirty if needed.

I think most has been said and you'll find even more information on the Pullmyfinger page, but i suppose i can give my perspective as i use Nekima as a leader since...well since she appeared in Malifaux (1st ed). She's definitely my favorite character of the setting and i honestly hope someday she'll be able to lead crews no matter the ss limits, but of course we've house ruled it over here already.

The backbone of her crew is the Black Blood Shaman as stated above. They synnergize extremely well with her and even her upgrade. I always take one, but i wouldn't mind 2 on a turf war. The triggers from the pustules are nothing short of awesome, especially on :crow, a suit we barely use. Pustule also works better than on a Lilith list because of Nekima's 50mm base. I think that the BBS are the only models that i associate with Nekima's theme automatically. I'll even go so far as to say that they make the investment worth it, as she is extremely expensive if you go all in.

I've had a lot of success with the Lilitu in order to pull the opponent out of position, but she often didn't make the cut as the BBS are already support models. Nekima is all about catching people at the right time she needs a sort of bulldozer momentum in order to work at her best. This is also where the Doppleganger comes in. With Nekima, there is always a sequence where having the initiative will determine if she dies before activating or not. Goes without saying that on that turn, having the Doppleganger can help immensely to get back on the investment. Initiative can translate into damage of course, but this is also needed for regeneration/teach them fear or the BBS to heal/buff her up.

Now you need scheme runners, and we have some of the best around. Terror Tots are amazing at this job...in fact, it is often counter-productive to grow them up.

I never forcused on growing anything in my games. This is peculiar because Nekima is the center of that whole strategy when it comes to the game. But see that's the problem, it's a strategy...and it gives no VP. So to me it's a nice bonus, but nothing to really work for. And that's probably how the designers wanted it to be i guess. So it occured a few times, but more often than not it was a tot that was summoned by Nekima in the first place. I hire Tots with a job in mind...and it rarely is about killing or standing around a fight. I take a minimum of 2 tots, more often 3, to run those schemes. I've once hired 5 of them...so it varies alot.

With their price tag in such a juicy range, the Young Nephilims are often at odds with my choices. I see them made for Lilith's pounce-o-thon tactics, and i would rather use those SS to buy a doppleganger or a shaman. That being said, i did hire a Young Nephilims in many games where i thought i'd need to hunt scheme-runners while i couldn't send Nekima or a Mature.

Last but not least, the Mature Nephilim often made my lists. He's a massive pain in the sides when there's another similar threat around like Nekima. Also, the "largest" neverborn female is a real hog about resources, and the Mature's :+fate to attack makes it highly reliable without spending those good cards. While she has to plow through armor the hard way, the Mature is one of our best candidate to carry Retribution's Eye. He is also very happy to dislodge enemies from contested areas...with his automatic push 0, or even his trigger to charge through. The main drawback at 40ss is that you will tend to loose on the activation numbers or your ss cache/upgrades, but there's something about target saturation with the combo of Nekima+Mature, so if they entirely focus on one, they'll let the other do its thing...and if they divide their attention, it might just not be enough to stop them.

So basically, models i use mainly:

Nekima, BBS, Doppleganger, Terror Tots, Mature Nephilim, Lilitu, Young Nephilim,

with varying quantities depending on game size, strat/schemes available.

As a side note, this crew has its banes, and some strategy/combo will have you play against the odds....but it's a wonderfully thematic crew. Nekima and the BBS are fluffy as can be.

Variety/Novelty: Angel Eyes, Tuco, Scion of Black Blood, Blood Wretches also fit with Nekima as per the stories.

Edit: Scion of the Black Blood is an option that can definitely come in handy if your opponent is a tad too keen on conditions.