Merc Buying List

farmoar

First time post from a new player.

I have lucked my way into a decent Neverborn army, featuring Collodi, Pandora, Titania and Lilith (which is good, because I am not that interested in Zoraida, Lynch or Lucius). I will eventually pick up The Dreamer as well, but I feel like I have a good starting point.

My question to the Neverborn masses is what Mercenaries should I be looking for? From skulking in the forums already, I know of Lazarus, Freikorps Trapper and Envy off the top of my head, but want to know what other Mercenary models you would suggest.

Help me purge the humans off of our land.

Neverborn seem to have quite a good toolkit in faction already. The only thing that's jumped out at me is how the Oiran are way better with Lure than anything we have in faction. CA:8, and with Pandora you can use them to rope enemy models into Pandora's death bubble, or so I assume.

They (and Performers) are certainly way better at it than Kade or Beckoners, which you won't use because you don't want Lynch. Since NB have all kinds of built in card cycling hijinks, the lack of a crew built into the Oiran's Lure should be less of an issue.

To be honest though, I've been thinking about Oiran more in the context of Lucius, since he can help them walk twice, and stack another 3" on top of that, and thence put them unexpectedly into aplace where they can use their 2AP Assassins Gift with Elite Training stacked on top because they're minions. Chop-chop-chop-chop....

Not sure that any thread involving mercs with NB would be complete without a mention of Killjoy. He's got black blood, so there are synergies there that don't exist with other mercs. I've faced him once, and it was not fun.

Aionius Lord of Time is a neat model, and looks like he'd be really frustrating for an opponent when paired with a Voices Pandora and Widow Weaver. Spendy though, and this is just me throwing random ideas out there.

12 minutes ago, ringsnake said:

Neverborn seem to have quite a good toolkit in faction already. The only thing that's jumped out at me is how the Oiran are way better with Lure than anything we have in faction. CA:8, and with Pandora you can use them to rope enemy models into Pandora's death bubble, or so I assume.

They (and Performers) are certainly way better at it than Kade or Beckoners, which you won't use because you don't want Lynch. Since NB have all kinds of built in card cycling hijinks, the lack of a crew built into the Oiran's Lure should be less of an issue.

To be honest though, I've been thinking about Oiran more in the context of Lucius, since he can help them walk twice, and stack another 3" on top of that, and thence put them unexpectedly into aplace where they can use their 2AP Assassins Gift with Elite Training stacked on top because they're minions. Chop-chop-chop-chop....

Not sure that any thread involving mercs with NB would be complete without a mention of Killjoy. He's got black blood, so there are synergies there that don't exist with other mercs. I've faced him once, and it was not fun.

Aionius Lord of Time is a neat model, and looks like he'd be really frustrating for an opponent when paired with a Voices Pandora and Widow Weaver. Spendy though, and this is just me throwing random ideas out there.

Thanks ringsnake. I have a couple of Beckoners already, but I prefer the Lure with Lilitu.

I'll have to take another look at the Oiran in the books, to see if they can find a home with one of the Masters.

Killjoy is on the shortlist for sure.

For a while, I thought Aionus was just a promo model, because no one talked about him. Could help against anyone that buries models.

6 hours ago, ringsnake said:

The only thing that's jumped out at me is how the Oiran are way better with Lure than anything we have in faction. CA:8, and with Pandora you can use them to rope enemy models into Pandora's death bubble, or so I assume.

They are and they aren't. Ca8 is great. Not having a required suit built-in isn't. If you just want a lure there are more reliable models.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

They are and they aren't. Ca8 is great. Not having a required suit built-in isn't. If you just want a lure there are more reliable models.

Agreed.  I'll take Lilitu's Lure and kit any day!

Johan is the only merc I really consider a "must have" in Neverborn.  He's a good model that can fix conditions and be copied by Doppleganger.  He's usually considered part of the "Neverborn All-Stars" which is basically just Neverborn good stuff.

Freikorp trappers have a lot of synergy with Changelings, because they can cheaply copy their shot.

Lazarus is fun, as you've discovered.  

I also really want to try Performers with Widow Weaver (Paralyze, give 5 poison, do 5 damage).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

Agreed.  I'll take Lilitu's Lure and kit any day!

Johan is the only merc I really consider a "must have" in Neverborn.  He's a good model that can fix conditions and be copied by Doppleganger.  He's usually considered part of the "Neverborn All-Stars" which is basically just Neverborn good stuff.

Freikorp trappers have a lot of synergy with Changelings, because they can cheaply copy their shot.

Lazarus is fun, as you've discovered.  

I also really want to try Performers with Widow Weaver (Paralyze, give 5 poison, do 5 damage).

Thanks Ergonomic Cat. First time I have heard mention of Johan. I'll have to take a look.

22 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Lust is another good merc, especially in a Pandora crew.

Envy also has some use in a Collodi crew - Envy can use a 0 to make Collodi Focus, which gets passed out to all puppets in 6"....

21 hours ago, H4ml3t said:

Bishop has many uses.

Does Bishop do anything useful for Neverborn, though?  What does he bring that we can't get in faction?

1 hour ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

Envy also has some use in a Collodi crew - Envy can use a 0 to make Collodi Focus, which gets passed out to all puppets in 6"....

Does Bishop do anything useful for Neverborn, though?  What does he bring that we can't get in faction?

I have already recognized the Envy possibilities (and listed him in my opening post along with Lazarus and the Trapper.

I am also curious as to what Bishop would help bring to Neverborn, as he seems like a melee beater; something we have in spades.

18 hours ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

Bishops ability to attack df or Wp along with neverborns relatively easy access to Wp debuff skills are probably the main combination that see him suggested. He is a toolboix able to ignore almost all defences between his combination of picking a stat, and guaranteed trigger of his choice. Does that make him more useful than a native neverborn beater? That's personal choice, but Bishop can be at his best when combined with daydreams, insidious madnesses, web markers, misery auras and so forth.

As Adran stated.

I mostly find Bishop is a nice beater in a Pandora list, when you want to focus on the Misery Aura, as the target will also get Misery damage. If you take the Dreamer and have Daydreams or a Widow Weaver, that is very nice too. Also Will o' Wisps. There are many fun combinations. But he is very costy.

On 14.3.2017 at 9:15 PM, Eorek said:

I Think Anna Lovelace is a solid pick if you ever face gremlins, Especially against Zipp, it shuts his movement down quite significantly 

Which movement are we talking about - Zipps own or the movement of his crew?

Becuase I´m under the impression that Zipp mostly takes walk actions to get where he wants^^

3 hours ago, Tris said:

Which movement are we talking about - Zipps own or the movement of his crew?

Becuase I´m under the impression that Zipp mostly takes walk actions to get where he wants^^

Zipps grab a rope. Him dragging earl. Skeeter ride. First mate leap. Zipps df trigger. Are the zipp ones i was thinking of. 

But also ever singel form of squeel. Saddle. Trixie luring gremlins. Hitch a ride. Nudge them on. Let mah handle this.  Lenny toss. Pigapult launch. Etc.

It basically shuts down alot of stuff in almost every crew that makes gremlins good when it comes pushes and places. 

'Nekima charged a somer with auto mask on df? Loudest Squeel? I think not'

But yeah. Zipp still gets around. But killing him gets easier and he cant move his crew around as well as he is able.

• Like 1