Any thoughts on Enchanting?

baggined

So I'm tossing around ideas in my head for a character who's focus is on self-improvement and buffing.  He's starting off Augmented and I'm hoping to get at least Animate Limb at some point so I can be self-suficient, but i'd also like to pick up some of the other buff Magia in some fashion.  Kinda like a Magical 60,000 Scrip Man if you will.  I've been thinking Mage or Tinkerer as places to dip into (a construct buddy never hurt).   My question to everyone here, are there any pursuits that lean themselves to the Enchanting skills?  So far it seems Dabbler leans Sorc; Grave Robber leans Necro; Illusionist leans Prestidigitation....I just haven't seen/can't remember of a pursuit that leans towards Enchanting like those.

The Tinkerer is probably the closest in terms of "Enchanting" pursuits, although the Engineer provides a lot of similar design space (buffing constructs and building technology). You could definitely go for a mix of that if you wanted to build a robot-focused character that can buff themselves. The Tinkerer definitely has its own problems, however. It won't provide too much in the way of Enchanting focused talents, even though the pursuit pegs itself as a Machine/Magic hybrid.

That said, it really comes down to your skill in Enchanting, and what Magias/Manifested powers you have access to. If you want to focus exclusively on spells, I'd actually suggest still going with either Dabbler or Mage. Mastered Immuto or Magia will help you out a great deal, and taking Manifested Powers as a Mage can give you enchanting spells without relying on a Grimoires, which you may or may not easily find.

If buffing is one of your goals, you may also want to look at some less magically focused Pursuits. Also take a good hard look at General Talents, since many of them could help you out a lot. Simply using Specialized Skill and taking a useful trigger from "Into the Steam" can prove highly effective. For example, you could take "Elemental Weapon" and buff a gun, and then get a trigger to boost someone's Might or Grace.

• Like 1

I think the Mage Pursuit is your best bet if you want to add Enchantment Magia of your choice to the character. Adding them as Manifested Powers per that Pursuit seems to me to tie in pretty well with the concept you have in mind.

• Like 1

For Enchantment magia you some options.  There is no class specifically that caters to it after starting pursuit, but to be fair Dabbler does not really cater to Sorcery after it starts *it first talent removes a tome from casting, which helps several different magia including animate limb*.  If anything Dabbler pursuit is nice for anyone with a Grimoire if they plan to master Magia or immuto.  Mage as mentioned is nice as you can just learn the spells as a manifested Power and can either add immutos or craft new spells when you get the talent again.

Another option is to get Literacy 3, a Grimoire, and the Inscription Talent and 'edit' the Grimoire to have the enchanting magia you want.  This is nice if you get a grimoire that has one of the magia you want and the immuto so you can really flush it out. Also note that the Darlin Theories Magic Talent might not be a bad idea, it makes spells easier to cast.  Once the Augmented Pursuit would make you count as a Construct it will get a -2 TN.  Having a Focus Object Immuto could also reduce the cost casting your spells too.  Also should you have the Literacy 3 you can get the Tome trigger that gives you the Decipher trigger.  So when you find the grimoire and use Literacy on it you can get an extra Immuto from it.

Engineer is another one kind of similar to Mage.  But rather than manifested powers you have the Invention Talent that lets you craft gizmos for your character that work like Manifested Powers. 

That said the Tinkerer pursuit can give you a few things for your Augmented.  The first Talent gives you the ability to take 1 damage for a positive when using your pneumatic limb.  And later Unrealistic Expectation basically gives you +1 to one of your Physical Aspects and lets you change which one has the bonus with an hour of work.  Considering how hard it is to improve an Aspect this can be real nice.

• Like 2