Several engagement questions

Alexander Tsikarev

Question

Hello.

My model has a 3'' :melee range. Enemy model has 1'' engagement range and is 2.5 '' away from my model. In this case both models are considered engaged and cannot interact, charge and make :ranged attacks? The only advantage of my model is that it can attack, and the enemy modell will have to walk to attack, right?

Second question: if my model cannot attack (Commands in Wind upgrade, for example), is it still considered engaged if enemy model is within its :melee range or vice versa? I think that it only cannot make disengaging strikes, so engaged models can go away from it if they want, but they still cannot  interact, charge or :ranged, right?

Same question for Amina Naidu's abilities: If an engaged enemy model has Liability or Inchoate Rage, my model can walk away from it without a disengaging strike, but cannot interact, :ranged or charge, right?

4 answers to this question

Yes. Engagement goes both ways. So if one of the 2 models has a long enough range, both models are engaged. And as you said an engaged model can't take :ranged actions, Charge, or take interact actions that don't target an enemy model.  The otehr advantage yo ahve in the first set up is you as the model with the longer range can walk away, and the eney can't decalre a disengaging strike, as they don't have one that reaches. 

The ability to make attack actions doesn't have a bearing on engagement so they are still engaged regardless of their ability to attack. . But you are right, they would not be able to declare a disengaging strike as that is an attack. 

To resolve a disengaging strike, the enemy models that are engaged with the moving

model may choose to take a free Attack Action with any one Close (y) Attack
which the disengaging model is within range of.

Page 49 of the manual.

If you can't legally target the model that has declared the walk action with a :meleeattack, you can't declare a disengaging strike, but that doesn't stop you from engaging them to deny actions. 

4 minutes ago, Alexander Tsikarev said:

The only advantage of my model is that it can attack, and the enemy model will have to walk to attack, right?

Well, so much of this game's VP are scored and denied via engagement. all of the interact schemes, can easily be denied. even the non-interact schemes like interference can be denied by engagement quite easily. So being able to smack a model and them not smacking back is always nice but there's a lot of other perks to engagement.

So any model that gains conditions that wouldn't allow it to attack these models are still engage and would provoke a disengaging strike. Engagement range isn't based on the ability to attack, but the range of the close :meleeattack.  

4 hours ago, Thimblesage said:

Well, so much of this game's VP are scored and denied via engagement. all of the interact schemes, can easily be denied. even the non-interact schemes like interference can be denied by engagement quite easily. So being able to smack a model and them not smacking back is always nice but there's a lot of other perks to engagement.

So any model that gains conditions that wouldn't allow it to attack these models are still engage and would provoke a disengaging strike. Engagement range isn't based on the ability to attack, but the range of the close :meleeattack.  

I get the feeling that the OP was hoping that you could keep someone in your engagement but still shoot, charge and take interacts yourself. It would make long engagement ranges better.