Puppet Wars Sculpts

Nemesis0284

Question

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on getting back into Malifaux and had a quick question about using Puppet Wars models. I've read in multiple places on the forums that PW models are legal alternate sculpts for the models that they represent (ie Puppet Lady J as Lady J) provided they are placed on the appropriately sized base for Malifaux. Does anyone have happen to know where this is posted? I can't find anything official but with the number of posts in the forums confirming this, and my own foggy recollection, I know it has to be stated somewhere, right?

3 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Nemesis0284 said:

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on getting back into Malifaux and had a quick question about using Puppet Wars models. I've read in multiple places on the forums that PW models are legal alternate sculpts for the models that they represent (ie Puppet Lady J as Lady J) provided they are placed on the appropriately sized base for Malifaux. Does anyone have happen to know where this is posted? I can't find anything official but with the number of posts in the forums confirming this, and my own foggy recollection, I know it has to be stated somewhere, right?

As far as I can tell, this is a result of a combination of wishful thinking and Gaining Grounds not specifying what "the official Wyrd miniature" is.  That's probably compounded by product text pointing out that the Puppet Wars poker decks can be used in Malifaux.

Let's suppose you own the 1st edition Malifaux boxed set "The Viktorias" and you go to a tournament.  According to the box contents, the two Viktoria models are "Viktoria Swordmistress" and "Viktoria Bounty Hunter".  In second edition, the models are named "Viktoria of Ashes" and "Viktoria of Blood", and the plastic models in the "Hired Swords" boxed are different.  But it's agreed that "Viktoria Swordmistress" is "Viktoria of Blood" and "Viktoria Bounty Hunter" is "Viktoria of Ashes".  Because the alternative is telling someone who bought 1st edition Malifaux models that they don't have official models any more.  That's not going to happen, even though several models got renamed or changed from henchman to master in the edition change.

The Puppet Wars models don't have that same sort of "I bought this model with the word Malifaux on the box" protection.  Instead, they fall in to that category of "It's a Wyrd miniature, it has the same name" while overlooking the fact that it's a figure for a different game and it had to be rebated.