Henchman Hardcore

Kirby

Hello fellow Outcasts!

I have a Henchman Hardcore tournament coming up and am looking for something to play.  I usually go with the following:

• Rusty Alyce - Oathkeeper
  • Librarian
  • Johan
  • Ronin

It's certainly a solid crew, but I was thinking about changing it up a bit or even entirely.  A pretty basic deviation could be:

• Hannah - I Pay Better
  • Librarian
  • Johan
  • Trapper

Since all four models are Mercenaries, getting a free Focus can be quite handy.  Hannah can heal, remove conditions, or get a freebie ranged attack as a (0).  Alternatively, could swap out I Pay Better for her personal upgrade and attempt to bury opponents.  Losing a model to burial when you only have 4 to start with can be pretty rough, but I'd have to find a point somewhere by downgrading a model.

One thought was bringing Viktoria of Blood and trying out some fun there, but it is very risky.

• Viktoria of Blood - Survivalist and Oathkeeper
  • Student of Conflict (to bounce Vik around and hand out Fast)
  • Johan
  • Sue maybe?  Nice for card draw and supporting auras, but he's slow.

Another thought is bringing along the Nothing Beast now that it is a henchman!  I'm also not sure what to bring to support it.  Sue with the anti-Ca aura could be nice, but I worry that he is slow and could get left behind.

• Nothing Beast - Void Shield
  • Sue
  • Ronin
  • Johan

I've also thought about doubling up with Hannah and the Nothing Beast since she enjoys borrowing its extra 3" melee attack.  It's just tough limiting myself to 10ss for two models afterwards.

I'm extremely tempted to run Aionus as a leader, but that cache of 1 just plain hurts.

There's also the denial game to be played:

• Rusty Alyce
  • merc Sloth+ Creeping Terror
  • Guilty
  • Hodgepodge Effigy or Abomination

or swap Sloth for Pride and add Survivalist to Rusty

I've had moderate success with a rapidfire crew

• Mad Dog + Poncho
  • Rusty Alyce
  • Bandido
  • Hodgepodge Effigy

Or go full HtK

• Rusty + Survivalist / Mad Dog + Poncho
  • Sue + maybe Return Fire
  • Johan + maybe Oath Keeper (depending on whether I take Return Fire)
  • Effigy

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2017 at 5:48 AM, Kirby said:

Oh!  I totally forgot about the Strongarm Suit!  Hannah can copy its (0) Charge Up for a damage boost, not to mention it's pretty great at jumping around and tearing things apart.

Suit (I think) works really well.  I'm playing in my first HH tomorrow and am expecting on a Hannah + Suit combo to wreck my opponents.  The 0-action sharing also is crazy handing, either for extra damage or for counter Ml damage.  

My standard is 

Hannah (Survivalist, I Pay Better)

Johan (Oathkeeper)

Convict Gunslinger

Void Wretch 

The list has solid damage and durability, with the ability to hand out slow with the Gunslinger triggers and Void Wretch. I Pay Better and 3 mercs amplifies the amount of AP you have, and since Hannah has Arcane Reservoir you have plenty of cards to discard. Johan's Condition removal is extremely relevant when a lot of crews like using Slow and Defensive, and Hannah can copy it. 

• Like 1

Montressor w/ Survivalist and Fearful Whispers

Nothing Beast + Void Shield and Bigger They Are

2x Void Wretches

with this list, I'm just trying to make you expend resources and take over AP control. 

I Pump out more AP with the two henchmen, take away AP with the Void Wretches, and take away activations with Burying and Paralyzing.

Caveat with this list, I was running Montressor as the Henchman. The next tournament i will run Nothing beast and the will swtich 1 SS upgrades. I happened to lose Monty more than I would have liked, and I was playing recklessly with him.

So what I would do would do what I could to go first. Walk Monty towards their crew (their crews tended to bunch up) charge their Hench, either pull it in with trigger or if I can make B2B stone for crow the paralyze. Now I'm up on AP. Use fearful Whispers to pull the rest of the crew into B2B. Here's the fun...They have to take the DF duel for B2B, then Terrifying duel if they move out of B2B or target Monty AND discard a card to target Monty. Monty is H2W, ten wounds with about 3 soulstones and terrifying 12. Eats up ALOT of resources.

I then use the Void Wretches to score for Turf war and use Hectic Glow slow his other models and if I fail I'll still cheat a lower card I want to dump my hand ASAP and drain opponents resources. Using my superior DF stats to keep the main hitters alive. 

Then I'll activate the Beast and either Walk, Focus Attack or Charge then attack. This step can come after Monty has activated and depends on the cards still in my hand. With bigger they are my damage spread is 3/6/8 against leaders and most secondary model they take, because MOST lists the Henchman is gonna have an upgrade along with the Enforcer/Henchman in the crew.

The only weakness is cast...Namely Stitch Togethers. Not being Living, Ca attack and min 3 damage destroyed this list, But everything thing else I steam rolled.

Again next time Nothing Beast will be the Hench because he can negate severes and Red Jokers entirely!

• Like 1

Don't worry there's so many upgrades keeping track of them is tough! Personally i think your list is fantastic, i love Montresor but have not had much success using him in Henchman Hardcore, your list seems to take advantage of his mighty -1 wp aura.

-1 WP is HUGE! it makes Nothing Beast essentially 8CA, Terrifying 11...Montressor Terrifying 13...its a lowkey game changer. just make sure you tell your opponent about it whenever you need to. I tend to see opponents "forget" about it if you only tell them once.

On 25/04/2017 at 1:36 AM, MetaphoricDragn said:

Judging from adepticon, Nothing Beast is a must take 3 or 4 of the top 4 all ran him in various combinations

Do you have any idea where to find information on that tournament and its lists? Or even a vague idea of the ways NB was used?

Do you have any idea where to find information on that tournament and its lists? Or even a vague idea of the ways NB was used?

As I've noticed, the Malifaux top players have kept close to the vest how they run their lists. Tournament reports on top tables are non existent. I do kind of understand though. Why give up your game dominating secrets? lol

55 minutes ago, Nukemouse said:

I reached out to Sean, but it he doesn't think its up yet.  I believe 2nd place had Scion, Nothing Beast, 2x wretches but I dunno who was lead.  I can keep reaching out.