Brewmaster in tournaments

Jafar

i've only ever played Gremlins once in a tournament and to prove a point to a friend took mono Brewmaster (in a fixed faction tourney). I finished 8th of 30 plus players and took best gremlin player. Brewmaster isn't underpowered necessarily maybe just seen less. He doesn't kill anything BUT he really can stop other people killing/achieving stuff. Have Francois around the bubble taking things out very easily and you've a great start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SurreyLee said:

i've only ever played Gremlins once in a tournament and to prove a point to a friend took mono Brewmaster (in a fixed faction tourney). I finished 8th of 30 plus players and took best gremlin player. Brewmaster isn't underpowered necessarily maybe just seen less. He doesn't kill anything BUT he really can stop other people killing/achieving stuff. Have Francois around the bubble taking things out very easily and you've a great start.

But the real question is had you taken a different Gremlin Master, do you believe that you wouldn't have made 8th? In Malifaux skill trumps a lot. Brewmaster isn't unplayable and I don't think that anyone is saying that one can't win with him. I've played him quite a bit and I feel that I do by far the weakest with him (even with Francois around the bubble taking things out ;) ).

He is also far more counterable than other Gremlin Masters. Heck, Chiaki counters Brewmaster almost by her lonesome!

Just now, Math Mathonwy said:

But the real question is had you taken a different Gremlin Master, do you believe that you wouldn't have made 8th? In Malifaux skill trumps a lot. Brewmaster isn't unplayable and I don't think that anyone is saying that one can't win with him. I've played him quite a bit and I feel that I do by far the weakest with him (even with Francois around the bubble taking things out ;) ).

He is also far more counterable than other Gremlin Masters. Heck, Chiaki counters Brewmaster almost by her lonesome!

That i'm not sure. Not many Gremlin Masters appeal to me. Somer seems a little non player experience for the oppo and a little dull. Ophelia is a bit straight forward. Wong looks okay, Zipp and Mah i've not looked at.....as a non-gremlin player i'd say Brewmaster and Ulix look the most fun, if the least competitive. I had a lot of fun with Brewie....mind you, he can be a total non player experience. In the past however i've played Nico, Pandora, Levi and about to go to Hamelin. Maybe i just like masters that annoy the oppo....

How does Chiaki counter Brewie out of curiosity?

2 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Removing Swill and Poison is pretty nasty (as those are what Brewmaster mostly does) and Chiaki is extremely mobile and durable.

I wouldn't really call Wk 5 and incorporeal extremely mobile. Her condition removal has good range, though, and that does help. As does also her ability to pass her own conditions to other models.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

I wouldn't really call Wk 5 and incorporeal extremely mobile. Her condition removal has good range, though, and that does help. As does also her ability to pass her own conditions to other models.

Yeah, I more meant that she is mobile for her mission - she can hide behind something and come forth with Incorporeal and she cannot be Slowed or Paralyzed. But yeah, it was badly communicated.

I saw this list, was pretty good, I hope not mixed anything

BrewMaster + 3ss for cache (6 in total)
Binge - 1 ss
BrewMaster Totem - 3 ss
Akaname - 4 ss
Sow - 8ss
Trixie + her upgrade - 9ss
Burt + D.C - 8ss
Iron Skeeter - 6 ss
Taxdermist - 7ss

Taxdermist makes stuffed piglets from corpses provided by Akaname.
Skeeter + Burt kills enemy models.
Akaname + Trixie for schemes.
Sow for killing.
Brewmaster sets his aura + gives [-]  + swill.
Totem to pump poison on akaname and swill enemy models that have [-].

Not perfect list, but quite good and makes sense. I would switch in some scenarios Sow for two scheme runners or Merris and give other models upgrades. Upgrade on Trixie was bad choice for me but her lure was great.

• Like 1

I do like that list. Very similar to what I've been planning to test once I feel like playing Brewski again.

Trixie's Upgrade is the weirdest thing. When I take it, in half the games I end up not using it. When I don't take it, I always find places to use it. Maybe it's just that the opponent is wary of it or something.

• Like 1