Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- March

prof_bycid

On 3/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, Joachim said:

Is there a way to post pictures from an album in a smaller size?

@Joachim  That doll and its base are both beautiful.  I think you need to format the image before inserting into the gallery.  If you don't have any raster image software like Photoshop, GIMP is an awesome program that is free and open source.

@prof_bycid Thanks prof...I really don't want to jam up this board with my woes...but no the photo isn't in the Members Gallery....should I be using that ?...Please feel free to PM me rather than turn this into a how to upload lesson...but I don't understand how my WIP at 300kb was fine but now it is saying I can only upload 20kb...do I need to delete previous attachments ? Very frustrating as I was looking forward to celebrating tonight and instead just ended up cursing all things technological:angry:

Lots of great looking models have been showing up here lately. Great job everyone!

So I managed to finish Zipp (15), Datsue Bae (8), the First Mate (9), and 3 Iron Skeeters (18) for a total of 50ss.

And here they are. Thoughts? I'm toying with the idea of using wire to add lightning to Zipp's gun and give his blue glow an actual Object to provide Source of the Lighting.

large.20170331_234940.jpg.938deebcfced7d3ed172fa8e806e7570.jpglarge.20170331_235247.jpg.4ac0cb6ce5357fd5f9b046157823b832.jpglarge.20170331_235315.jpg.d6c1bf19cab56494e23a31f46d7002fb.jpglarge.20170331_235400.jpg.d9d8cfdc7df8ccaeea426dc7f44578e8.jpglarge.20170331_235457.jpg.9b8b192dd6651ab470ca8c44e4e97fb6.jpglarge.20170331_235105.jpg.6470b07e7e66799300035d0a43eb6b32.jpglarge.20170331_235153.jpg.f15ebfe53cb4791df75df77f1e16098a.jpg

• Like 7

Ok, so in March I painted about 195 soulstones...

(15) Mei Feng

(10) Arcane Emissary

(7) Firestarter

(15) 3x Rail Worker

(12) 3x Fire Gamin

(12) 3x Wind Gamin

(12) 3x Ice Gamin

(7) Mechanized Porkchop

(7) Gunsmith

(9) Kang

(3) Emberling

(9) Sensei Yu

(15) Shenlong

(4) 2x Peasant

(7) Beckoner

(18) 3x Monk of High River

(24) 3x Shastar Vidiya Guard

(6) Soulstone Miner

(3) Malifaux Raptor

I also started working on Kaeris yesterday but I don't want to count her yet.

I still haven't taken photos of some of those but most are in my album.

I painted my first ever miniature in January and I'd like to get better at it, so I'm getting as much practice in as possible. I depleted my queue quite a bit, so it looks like I'm going to have to spend more money :D

• Like 6

On 31/3/2017 at 4:16 AM, Franchute said:

@Chou just to honour a Spanish expression, your ice golem is la ostia! I really like that you painted in white the ice peaks getting out of his body.

jajajajaa muchas gracias @Franchute!! I thought that painting it completely blue would be quite boring for the eye, and white seemed like the only choice. 

By the way, love your Ramos! The expression in his face, the basing, outstanding work!! 

• Like 1

Hi all, apologies for not posting my progress sooner, lots of hospital stuff in real life has gotten in the way.

ive managed to finish my bayou display board (yes, I'm one of those guys....) and also finish Ol Major and one Akaname.

the Sow still needs more green stuff to tidy up all the seams and the stuffed piglets still need glueing together before any under oats get applied.

points for March

old major

akaname

pics inc tomoz when I can find cable and have had some sleep.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:03 AM, so_diogenes said:

I painted my first ever miniature in January and I'd like to get better at it, so I'm getting as much practice in as possible. I depleted my queue quite a bit, so it looks like I'm going to have to spend more money :D

One thing I suggest to beginning painters is something simple:

Magic Wash.

Really, any wash will do, and some miniature companies make premade ones, but you can make it yourself. One part acrylic floor wax + 2 parts water + dark pigment = instant shading on any miniature you paint. I actually mix up 32 ounces of it at a time (without pigment, just the floor wax and water), and pour a little bit out to mix with a dark pigment when I need shading. The brand in the states is Pledge Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish.

Sue, here, was just flat colors (gray coat, silver guns/shinguards, yellow ochre guitar, blue pants) before getting a single coat of black wash:

large.58bba6ffa837b_malifaux-outcastssue

Viola, instant shading.

I tend to use it as just basic color + wash because that's good enough for tabletop; however, if you want to look better for cameras then you can do basic color, highlight, and then wash in the shadow in which also damps down the highlight.

It really helps for bare skin, too. This isn't the BEST example, but it's what I have for sculpted abs like Kang has:

large.58e5e220456b8_malifaux-neverbornst

Their skin was just tan flesh with a purple wash over it (because that's how I decided Neverborn look in my color palette, purple undertones to their skin). Quick, dramatic, effective. On real bare skin you want a red/brown wash mix, with more brown on asian skintones and more red the farther west you go.

Getting the correct amount of pigment IS tricky; the wash needs to run into the cracks but not just pool on the back of the miniature. I usually keep a sucker test model nearby to trial the mixes, and have a dry brush handy to whisk away any unexpected pooling. But it's worth it to learn.

Yes, overused it's a lazy habit (that I plead guilty to!), but it also lets people get their armies painted and looking tabletop good very quickly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trixter said:

Can you tell how did you do that? Or web-link maybe?

It is a simple mix of Vallejo still waters with some nurgles rot from GW, with some other greens sometimes to creates some shadows beneath water. Apply in thin layers as recommended by Vallejo. The mix is typically 50-50. Sometimes I put more still waters than nurgles rot in the top layers. Maybe @Viruk has better suggestions than the ones I've just made.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 5:41 PM, Rikk said:

Hi all, apologies for not posting my progress sooner

Okay, new rule:  post by the end of the month or take a Mulligan.  I hate to be like but checking back in last months thread a week later with ~40 people posting is going to get old fast.  Rikk, as this is a new rule that I didn't state before, you get a pass.  If you can post the actual SS painted in the next day.  The new rule applies starting, ..., now.  :)

• 2 weeks later...