Monthly painting challenge 2017 -- March

prof_bycid

So some WIP of a stuffed pig (have an upcoming tournament and would like 2 of them down). Trying to go for more of a fresh undead or more slightly off than totally zombified. Though think it might look too living though.

IMG_20170303_175648.jpg

IMG_20170303_175633.jpg

compared to Gracie anyways

gracie002.jpg

thoughts?

• Like 2

Looks like an early error on my part in my first challenge.  I didn't realise pre-paint images and WIP were part of it.    Any way my plan is to get my two Coryphee painted for Twatifaux on the 13th.  They're mostly finished now (very productive end of the week).

1 hour ago, JB11 said:

I didn't realise pre-paint images and WIP

Hey, JB, pre-paint images are kind of how we start out, but to be honest, I don't plan to police things too rigidly.  If the stakes were higher (i.e., >0) I might, but I think we can trust each other.  We post, but if life gets in the way once or twice, that's fine.

The work in progress photographs are get feedback, show off some techniques you are working withs, or to keep up the friendly painting banter.  I will say that us novice painters really gain a lot seeing WIP photos and then the finished product. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute nice work on the mobile toolkit - your green water bases look great....also your flesh tone on Ramos is nice and warm...can I ask how you achieved it as I am still experimenting to find a tone I am happy with

Sure. I'm also experimenting though :)

I primed in white this time. I mainly use GW paints. I went with a base of Ratskin flesh and highlighted progressively with bestigor flesh, ungor flesh and finally added ushabti bone (and maybe a little bit of white, not sure though) to the ungor for the extreme highlights. After that, the base tone looked a bit too orange to my taste, as if Ramos was coming back from Hawai. So, I added a slight wash of screamer pink in the shadows.

By the way, the green water bases are inspired from @Viruk's genius :)

• Like 3

Here's what's on the menus for March Madness (so far):

Marionettes X4: 12SS (3SS each)

Insidious Madnesses X2: 10SS (5SS each) (Get it? March Madnesses? See what I did there?)

Bandersnatch: 5SS

Mysterious Emissary: 10SS

Modified Lucious: 15SS

Total: 52SS

Slightly excessive, but i need these models done

58bacafcbddc5-March2017Models.jpg58bacf71bd6a7-TwistedMarionettes.jpgGuignol.JPG

• Like 3

@wizuriel, If the taxidermy iz done right, the pig should be almost lifelike :D. That said, looks good. When i did mine, they stayed a bit closer to the living colors than undead shades, just a bit more grey and pallid than my normal piggies. Definitely don't be concerned about makin' em a bit more "fresh". The gunpowder and dynamite makes them more than recognizable.:lol:

On 03/03/2017 at 6:46 PM, prof_bycid said:

Hey, JB, pre-paint images are kind of how we start out, but to be honest, I don't plan to police things too rigidly.  If the stakes were higher (i.e., >0) I might, but I think we can trust each other.  We post, but if life gets in the way once or twice, that's fine.

The work in progress photographs are get feedback, show off some techniques you are working withs, or to keep up the friendly painting banter.  I will say that us novice painters really gain a lot seeing WIP photos and then the finished product. 

Hi prof_bycid. In the last challenge i believe vaiuri was fine with finishing in progress models and things. Is that still the case now you are running this new challenge? My painting tends to be ongoing sometimes over a few months with a set of models as I work through them. Is this ok?

I like the idea of sharing more in progress pictures. I won't have pics of unpainted models at the start of each month and then completed models at the end of each month. I'm happy to post WIP pictures. I hope this works.

• Like 1

Uh... not so much 'work in progress'... and tell me if it's uncouth to post finished pieces, I did these yesterday afternoon and I'm not sure if I should just hold off until the end and post them all as a mass?

large.58bba701ee7b0_malifaux-gremlinssam

This is the first time that the Foldio has failed me; I just could NOT get Sammy's lower face lit up well. Somehow, though, it works as a shadow.

large.58bba700ece38_malifaux-gremlinsmer

I did a little splish of water to make it look like she's soaring out of the swamp. Wet-blended the flame and tried for a little OSL on the backs of her legs.

These two Gremlins were commission work for a friend who had bought some pre-painted LaCroix, and because I didn't have the flocking to match the current bases I went with more swampy bases. The nice thing is that the gamestore owner saw that the turnover was only a week and is now making louder noises about me painting his models.

large.58bba6ffa837b_malifaux-outcastssue

I lost the flame for Sue's guitar a long time ago, and improvised a piece out of some transparent sprue. This is a repaint, and overall I'm pleased with how my skill level has gone up some since he first time I painted him.

Now, I just wait until my Oiran and Lelu & Lilitu come in Tuesday. Maybe Torment: Numenera?

• Like 2

@iamfanboy it looks like you are going straight from the base color, to a wash of nuln oil (or some other black), is that correct? I would recommend trying a three color scheme; where every color is made up of three different colors. This would be a deep shadow, then the mid tone - this is the actual color you want the area to be, then a highlight. You can then use a wash to knit the three layers together. This will make the colors more dramatic. Just some food for thought -- what you have already done works great for tabletop.

8 hours ago, RustAndTheCity said:

Hi prof_bycid. In the last challenge i believe vaiuri was fine with finishing in progress models and things. Is that still the case now you are running this new challenge? My painting tends to be ongoing sometimes over a few months with a set of models as I work through them. Is this ok?

I have some models in this category too. I wasn't sure if I could include them or not, so I went for Ramos, but I could have chosen Hoffman who is 2/3 painted or my dogs who are in the same situation. I'm also interested in knowing what is the accepted beginning-of-the-month state of the mini we choose to paint.

2 hours ago, athelu said:

@iamfanboy it looks like you are going straight from the base color, to a wash of nuln oil (or some other black), is that correct? I would recommend trying a three color scheme; where every color is made up of three different colors. This would be a deep shadow, then the mid tone - this is the actual color you want the area to be, then a highlight. You can then use a wash to knit the three layers together. This will make the colors more dramatic. Just some food for thought -- what you have already done works great for tabletop.

For some minis I do that (looking forward to the twins), but the LeCroix I had to match are just base color+dark brown wash, and this is the second I've had to paint Sue due to chipping. Iron Wind Metals ralidium hates paint no matter how well you prep and seal it. I went tabletop because it upsets me when a metal miniature gets chipped, in proportion to the amount of time I spent on the mini.

Forgot to post my models.

I'll be doing Sensi Yu to start. Trying to get my temple of the dawn crew done for my henchman application. Because he's a pretty simply model I'll also be doing rock and roll peasant.

As for the HRM I'm just gunna finish him up since I started him awhile ago. I dont think he counts for points but might as well get him done. :P

https://imgur.com/gallery/7PN9Y

For some reason I can't get it to embed the link from my phone.

@athelu

Very nice colour on the unfortunate piglet. I am really looking forward to my pack of Pigs, hopefully coming soon.

I could finish the skin colour and start working on the blue trousers today - since I cannot paint the whole coming week, it was important for me to get as much done as possible:

Painting%20Challenge%201%20WIP_zpsfkrq4g

Normally I vary more with the colours of the trousers and do grey or an off-white from time to time, but I seem to have my blue phase at the moment :D There will be more alteration in the future, however

EDIT: The bases will be filled with resin in the end. They are really cool swamp bases from Tabletop Art, unfortunately, I had some trouble getting the Pigapult on the base - therefore, I came up with some solution ;-)

• Like 3