Totems for Hoffman

Ludvig

So I may have started assembling Hoffman since I have all the guild constructs already built and painted.

I'm looking at the attendant and I'm thinking that the automatic power loop is nice since it guarantees the loop df 5 even if I don't bother to loop something better in and the blasty stuff may come in handy. All around it looks like a decent model for the stones that seems to require very little active effort on my part. It also fits well as a slow target. My big question is really: what the hell is relay information supposed to do? Hoffman's big drawback seems to be low range, not lacking LoS. He hardly ever attacks stuff from what I've gathered, he mostly buffs his big pals... Anyone come up with a good use for that ability?

The child can do the perma loop thing but at a pretty hefty cost. I would be reluctant to keep that up though the game and it feels wrong for Hoffman of all people to routinely kill innocent children whose only crime was wanting to be just like him...

The governor's proxy... Sigh... If anyone can get me even slightly interested in bringing that waste of our faction totem space I would be in eternal grattitude!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

You forgot the Metal Gamin. The true Hoff totem. 

It isn't a totem you know so I can use it regardless of using one of the actual totems. No matter which totem I choose there is a high probability of me including both a gamin and toolkit, I just need to find a suitable proxy for the gamin. Bits of sprue and lizardmen have come up as suggestions ;) 

I'm not really sure what makes a metal gamin distinct, the sculpts look noting like each other so it's hard to know whaqt to take into my conversion. Edit: I guess a rail gamin to match a hypothetical future rail golem. Barrels as legs, couple of smoke stacks on the back and a grille for a face should be doable.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I'm looking at the toolkit and I'm thinking that the automatic power loop is nice ......

I think you may actually mean the Mechanical Attendant? ;)

Also, more on the matter - you are right that the Metal gamin and Mobile Toolkit are not Hoffmans totems as per rules definition, but they do fulfill some of the roles a good totem should and are in a comparable price class, so it`s only natural that people consider them as totem.

After all, you could always use the the stones for something different, no need to buy several "totems" just because you can^^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tris said:

I think you may actually mean the Mechanical Attendant? ;) 

After all, you could always use the stones for something different, no need to buy several "totems" just because you can^^

But the surprise on people's faces when Hoffman is outactivating them makes it worthwhile! :D

I don't like to play the effigy as the armor and O.S.A. sink (for no good reason--it's well built for the role), so I have mostly settled into taking mechanical attendant as the totem in a pure Guild crew and/or if I suspect hunting party. The child tends to be fielded with Arcanist Assets cheap construct back-up since she is unreliable.*

*even more so these days, as one of my opponents has made a point of planting a headshot in her skull the last X games we've played

• Like 1

If you're going pure Guild, which is much more viable with the Emissary, I'd take the Attendant every time. He's just so easily replaced with the metal Gamin and Arcanist Assets has that great heal on its card which is pretty integral for my Hoff play. Paying five stones total for Ca8 and healing is worth it every time. Plus Howard with Armor+2 and Numb to the World...hard to pass up. 

• Like 1

Since I will be sinking a lot of stones into big models I will need several cheap activations. The metal gamin is a buff piece but also an ok scheme runner since it's significant. Totem of choice, gamin and toolkit only puts me back 9-10 ss for three activations and some helpful buffs. I was thinking arcane reservoir might be worth it just for the buff models and heal action, it seems like an auto-take upgrade.

I guess the emissary makes the toolkit slightly less necessary but the peacekeeer's harpoon could probably enjoy a :+fate to damage and the emissary itself could perhaps have fun with Papa Loco's attacks with :+fate to damage and ml 6. It's quite the damage spread with some juicy blasts after all.

14 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Since I will be sinking a lot of stones into big models I will need several cheap activations. The metal gamin is a buff piece but also an ok scheme runner since it's significant. Totem of choice, gamin and toolkit only puts me back 9-10 ss for three activations and some helpful buffs. I was thinking arcane reservoir  Arcanist Assets might be worth it just for the buff models and heal action, it seems like an auto-take upgrade.

I guess the emissary makes the toolkit slightly less necessary but the peacekeeer's harpoon could probably enjoy a :+fate to damage and the emissary itself could perhaps have fun with Papa Loco's attacks with :+fate to damage and ml 6. It's quite the damage spread with some juicy blasts after all.

Emissary with :+fate from Toolkit. Howard with Armor 3. :+fate to Ml are all great and worth the cost. You also have programmed directive to put a marker with toolkit and then explode.

• Like 2