Start-Up Painter Kalmondo

kalmondo

Hello! So I recently began working on my own collection of gremlins that i have had for a long time. I have one painted, and am hoping to do some more painting tomorrow. I would love some constructive criticism on my work. I am aware of the green and red splotches, but rather then try to fix them on the figure I have finished, I have decided to leave it there, as a story, and a reminder of my first painting. Sentimental I know, but hey, I am the sentimental type. http://www.keithheath.com/2017/02/gremlins-and-bayou.html

20170222_230837.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the wonderful world of painting and hopefully you enjoy it enough to continue to do so. This is a great start for a first attempt at painting.

My advice would be start small and learn new techniques as you go. I would say your best place to look would be YouTube. There are countless helpful videos for improving your skills and mastering techniques.

A few of the easier and most impactful are Dry Brushing and Washes. Look into those as a start. And always Thin your paints!

• Like 2

Because thick paint can obscure details and in some cases actually create a texture where you don't want it - you can see brushstrokes on the model if your paint is too thick.

Thinner paints make for a smoother coat and make painting transitions and layering way easier. They just "flow" better in general, although they may require more than one coat to fully cover (especially on a dark background), that's totally worth it.

• Like 3

Thin paint may be harder to controll and needs to be applied in more than one layer most often than not - but it achieves much better results, doesn't create texture on the surface of models, clogs details and so on. Also, your burshes tend to last longer.

Maybe start by adding a drop of water to your paint and see how you can manage with that. Ideally, when you run your brush through the paint, ii shouldn't 'push' the paint forward, but the paint should 'flow around' it.  Don't know how to describe it otherwise.

Important is, that you always 'unload' your brush before applying the thinned down paint. For that, tip the end of the brush (the thick part) sideways onto a piece of toiletpaper (or the like). This way, excess water and paint is soaked into the paper. Otherwise, all that watery paint will flow everywhere onto your miniature as soon as you put the brush on it. The water will drag all the piment with it into the gabs of the miniature and not much will stay where you actually want it.

Also, prime your miniatures. I'd suggest white or grey. Even better, spraycoat it in grey. Than spraycoat it white but just from above/slightly angled. This way, when you apply thinned down paint, you will already have different shades of colour, allowing you to see where highlights and shades could go - or even just apply one layer of paint and call it a day :P.

• Like 1

The problem comes that most of the paints are my roommates :D. Also, we are using the Citadel Paint pods, so I am not sure how much "Flowing" around my brush they can do when I whip them off the nozzle thing. I'm going to be updating a bit later today with the stuff I managed to assemble and prime and paint yesterday. 

On 26.2.2017 at 3:33 PM, kalmondo said:

The problem comes that most of the paints are my roommates :D. Also, we are using the Citadel Paint pods, so I am not sure how much "Flowing" around my brush they can do when I whip them off the nozzle thing. I'm going to be updating a bit later today with the stuff I managed to assemble and prime and paint yesterday. 

Just get yourself a palette. Plastic one will do, but ceramic might be better. I use a white ceramic floor tile...