Timing of After Resolving vs. After Damaging

Morach

Question

Hello, everyone.

I've recently started playing Malifaux and had a question come up regarding the timing of After Resolving vs. After Damaging.  Essentially, the defender had a trigger to push after resolving, and the attacker had a trigger to push after damaging.  The player controlling the attacking model wanted to know if he could push to follow after the defender pushed away.  Looking through the rulebook I see the following on Page 32:

•After resolving: These effects happen after Step 5 regardless of who wins the duel.
•After damaging: These effects happen after Step 5 and only if the target suffers 1 or more damage from the Action. These effects are resolved before the damaged model is removed if it was killed by the damage.

Step 5 in this instance refers to the step in the duel itself.

We also see a note indicating that the Defender's trigger is resolved first.  So far this seems pretty clear cut, but the thing that's confusing me is when is damage applied?  From looking on page 37-38 it seems that damage is applied during Step 3 of the Attack, "Resolve Results."  My questions are below:

1. So would the `After Damaging` trigger occur during  Step 3 of the attack (still after Step 5 of the duel), and then the `After Resolving` trigger would occur after Step 3 of the attack?
2. Is `After damaging` essentially the same as `After resolving`, but with the condition that the target must have suffered 1 or more damage?  Meaning they take place at the same time, and if two triggers occur simultaneously the defender's is resolved first?

Apologies for overcomplicating this, and thank you in advance!

2 answers to this question

After Damaging is the same as After Resolving, but only if the target suffered at least 1 damage. Although damage is applied during step 5 (resolve duel & apply results), After Damaging & After Resolving both happen after this, at the same time. Therefore in the case of an After Resolving/After Damaging pair of triggers, the defender's will happen first.

After Succeeding is also the same time, but only if the model with the trigger won the duel.