Competitive Sonnia, what pieces i need?

TeddyBear

1 minute ago, TeddyBear said:

thanks for reply, in tournament samael is generally used? (he seem very strong, but he need more movement trick...maybe with austringers?)

@wizuriel: how do you use ryle?

thanks again

Handler gives him burning +1 on his attacks and Ryle I find can easily hit things with his gun (and with rams can set a lot of models on fire). I usually have the 2 of them handle a flank with Sonnia coming up the middle taking advantage of the models they set on fire. 

• Like 3

Some of my favorite picks when Playing Sonnia

1) Brutal Effigy- Fear not the Sword is exceptionally powerful with Sonnia, perhaps more than with any other master.  Heals / card craw is per model damaged or killed, so a big blast can potentially heal her several wounds per blast.  He is also a 4ss minion who is pretty durable and finish the job.  The card draw is also really nice- since Sonnia tends to demolish a hand with all her discard abilities.

2) Guild Pathfinder- Moving and relocating Traps is very powerful with somebody like Sonnia, they tie down enemy models, potentially make them slow, and force them to deal with Disengaging Strikes.  Clockwork traps are extremely expendable, so if Sonnia randomizes onto one she can cheat to make a big explosion.  Traps also have heavy armour, so if Sonnia blasts one for Moderate it will live to fight another day and continue tying down enemies.  Pathfinders also have a mask trigger on their musket to ignore armor, Sonnia's crew tends to have some issues with Armour, and generally doesn't need a lot of masks, and they can draw a card once per turn when something nearby dies, and Sonnia loves cards.

3) As mentioned Handler is nice for sling shoting witchlings into engagements, and generally improving the burning of nearby friendlies.  Note that if a Witchling Stalker is in range of the burning aura, each of its ml6 attacks will apply Burning +2.  Also if you are playing Hopkins with Vengence Bullet + Debt to the Guild, if you can draw a bead to a Master or a Henchmen in cover and 10 inches, you can activate Debt, Rapid Fire and Vengence Bullet your first hit for a :+fate to negate cover.  Make sure it hits, and you've now got burning on em, so the rest of those shots ignore his cover and do more damage and apply more burning.

4) A Body guard who can move her around (sorry Sammy).  Francisco with Hermanos and Wade In is probably the best overall, but Grimwell with Research Grant can be a solid choice.  Francisco offer's better protection overall by boosting Sonnia's defense to respectable levels and can hop into melees and push friendlies- like Sonnia out if you need to.  Grimwell offer's a bit more speed, benefits from the potentially crippling Disrupt Magic upgrade, and can replenish soul stones which Sonnia loves spending.  Judge can also work, especially if you are running Emissary and Samael.

Samael is interesting and I have trouble fitting him into my lists.  He really needs some help moving around, but since Sonnia does too they are often competing for the attention of the limited movement tricks available to Guild.  The Emissary helps Samael a lot however, Samael really appreciates the placement possibilities offered by Back in the Box.  As you can set up a scheme marker in the perfect spot to drop him for a viscous rapid fire, or drop him off next to the Emissary if he is in a good enough spot.  Judge with Unrelenting Leader helps with this strategy.  Judge can use the Unrelenting Leader upgrade to have the Emissary box Sam out of activation, can use his (0) to pull Sonnia (or the Emissary)into a better position.  The Emissary can- as always set something out of line of sight on fire with a (0), and now it can use Visions of Flame and Tyranny of Order to shoot it with Samael's Min Damage 4 Gun.  Once the Emissary is done, Sam Hops out in base contact or next to a scheme marker in prime position to rapid fire.

For Sam I like Debt to the Guild and Vengeance Bullet.  If you can get a chance to rapid fire on a Master or Henchmen, you can burn both upgrades to unleash hell.  If your poor target is on Fire... you will be ignoring cover and line of sight with a min damage 7 shot and two follow up shots at min damage 5.  If your poor target is not on fire and in cover, try to have Sam in a Withchling Handler's Burn them all aura.  The first shot of the rapid fire will negate the cover with the Vengence Bullet, and the Fire will take care of the cover from there.  Just make sure the Vengence Bullet doesn't miss.

• Like 9

Witchling Stalkers! Seriously, those little buggers are amazing. Put disrupt magic on Sonnia, and give them some movement boosts like from the Handlers to get them upfield, and you can turn off a summon list by inflicting a negative flip on their casts. This is one of the few situations where I have personal experience.

I also found the Orderlies from the starter set good with the Witch Hunters. They're also witch hunters, unimpeded, and pretty quick, which added scheme runners and models that got up close to a summoner to inflict the negative flip. My opponent had to take time out to get rid of the Orderly to be able to do anything with Nicodem.

• Like 2

Honestly, the old list still generally works, though you probably don't need the Death Marshal anymore and Numb to the World is pretty mandatory on Papa.  Phiona can be a strong alternative to Francisco as a means of getting Sonnia out of combat and enhancing her denial with an extra 50mm pillar.  The Thralls are an interesting addition when you can give a low Df model a high Wp to turn on Ancient Runes.   Watchers are still very strong as well.

• Like 3

If you want to run Sam effectively you really need the Brutal Emissary and Abuela Ortega. She orders the Emissary to box Sam at some point after your opponent has committed a good target model. The Emissary walks up, (0) puts burning on the target, Sam drops out and Rapid Fires at Weak 4. This kills most things in the game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

If you want to run Sam effectively you really need the Brutal Emissary and Abuela Ortega. She orders the Emissary to box Sam at some point after your opponent has committed a good target model. The Emissary walks up, (0) puts burning on the target, Sam drops out and Rapid Fires at Weak 4. This kills most things in the game.

Some might prefer the Judge with unrelenting leader to Abuela for a similar effect but more durability (at a cost in ss of course).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Some might prefer the Judge with unrelenting leader to Abuela for a similar effect but more durability (at a cost in ss of course).

Judge is also unique in that His Combat Effectiveness is a (1) action, and his Stand for Judgement is a (0) action.  So if you want to both queue up Hopkins in the Emissary's box, and still pull Sonnia's fat ass into position, Judge is the only one who can do it.  

EDIT but before we get too excited, lets all take a moment to remember that Samael w/ Vengeance Bullet + Debt, Judge with Unrelenting Leader, and the Emissary is 32 points.  If you want a Witchling Handler in there too we are looking at 40 points minimum!

• Like 1

On 23.2.2017 at 10:23 PM, Ludvig said:

@Corn Haha, that trick with vengeance bullet is pretty sweet!

Trick, which trick? - Sams Bazooka is considered a trick now? Is my Peacekeeper a trick too? :P

(Sorry, found that one funny^^)

Envy could also be an interesting choice, as @trikk for exapmle mentioned already in another thread - grants Sonnia at least two focused shots in a turn, if you want to, and is still a decent model on his own.

@Tris If you pay for a one use upgrade and add about twice as many soulstones than the original model was worth to get in a gotcha that will catch an opponent by surprise once I would consider it a trick yeah ;)

Peacekeepers have a solid profile that will always be solid but won't catch anyone off guard. Less of a trick.

7 hours ago, Bakunin said:

I'm curious, are pushes really a must-have for Sonnia? With a 14" range and the ability to ignore LoS, does she need someone with movement tricks to get her places?

Less AP walking is more AP blasting.

Pushes will be really handy once someone engages her too. Terrain and flamewalls help, but 14'' by itself is easy enough to push+charge for a lot of crews/models.

9 hours ago, Bakunin said:

I'm curious, are pushes really a must-have for Sonnia? With a 14" range and the ability to ignore LoS, does she need someone with movement tricks to get her places?

Her ability to ignore LOS is extremely unreliable.  Not having to spend the AP to get a line on the target is a huge help, and having a way to push out of combat is pretty mandatory.

• Like 1