Breakdown of Lucius MKII

ringsnake

After doing this treatment in a different thread in Neverborn, I thought I'd go back to my roots. Actually, I started with Guild, and most of what I currently own is still Guild.

I played my first few games of Malifaux with Lucius pre-erratta, and it was a horrible experience, but I loved the model, so I carefully went through all the changes point by point.

He looks WAY better than he was before.

He gets a mask baked into his DF, which does nothing on his card, but lets you much more easily trigger the "Secret Service" Mask+Ram trigger from the Surprisingly Loyal upgrade. This is a major boost, since it means you have a roughly 20% chance of just flipping the needed ram off the deck, and can cheat a ram from your hand or burn a stone AND get the stone back, which brings us to...

The damage inflicted by Devil's Deal on any friendly model within 6" is reduced to 2 from 3. The damage is irreducible, and Lucius can now heal two damage from minions with one of the Issue Command triggers. It seems to me that'll be most used to spend soulstones for Rams to get Secret Service working, or to get a lot more heals than most Masters can manage. So long as he has minions, guardsmen, and mimics around he seems way tougher.

Highest Authority is unchanged, discard a card to inflict a negative flip for those times when you've blown up your followers with a combination of Secret Service and 'free' rams from Devil's deal, and failed to tangle the enemy in red tape from the sword cane. I don't recall any Guild available models that allow you to draw more cards, but I'm relatively new to the game.

The radius of Elite Training has been increased from 3" to 6", grants a bonus flip to melee attack flips AND horror duels instead of just horror duels, and affects all Minions, Mimics, and Guardsmen instead of just minions! This is HUGE, and something I didn't notice. It changes Elite Training from a non-ability to something that has some real use. A model within the radius of both Lucius and a Lawyer is getting two positive flips against Horror duels, which brings us to...

Commanding Presence has been changed to affect ALL other models instead of just minion models, but the radius of the bubble has been reduced from 18" to 12", but since I never seemed to have anything further than 12" from him when I used him before I consider that a more than fair trade off. The TN has also been reduced from 13 to 12, which means it's been reduced from an 8 to a 7 card for most models, and all mimics, guardsmen, and minions can generally expect to get a positive flip or two on that into the bargain. Again, this is HUGE, because we can now take Guardsmen and Mimics that are Enforcers and Henchmen without losing as much.

No more hating on Captain Dash from the boxed set.

BACK OF CARD

The Red Tape ability has been vastly improved, tangling up the struck opponent through the next turn until Lucius activates next turn or leaves play. With the improvement to Devil's Deal, it looks like the trigger is much easier to pull off. I doubt I'll try and use Lucius as a tarpit, but he can charge an enemy model that's positioned to jump him the next turn and hope to tangle it up instead of running away, or burn stones and cards to defend himself, and dump the damage on his lackeys. Note that Red Tape helps only minions and mimics, and does not assist Guardsmen who are enforcers or henchmen.

What Lackeys are For is unchanged, but the ability to walk twice 4" forward each time, and use those walks to much more easily trigger two uses of Commanding Presence, and then drop a scheme, and trade places with a slow brute type model seems like it would be pretty good. Especially when you can also add the (0) Hidden Sniper from secret Assets on top of that. I can imagine sneaky tricks involving Beckoners where you use commanding presence to have the Beckoner pull an enemy model forward, which could reel in models that look like they should be safe.

Guild Intelligence has also been improved and simplified. Instead of working only on minions, it allows ALL friendly models within 6" to take interacts while engaged. Since some of the best mimics and guardsmen are enforcers and henchmen, this move away from 'minions only' seems like a massive improvement to me. It also happens automatically. It's no longer a CA that requires a card of a nine or higher in value. That's a HUGE change.

Issue Command no longer hates on Austringers, and seems to be the ONLY on card ability that only affects minions, and only has its best effect on minions that are mimics or guardsmen by boosting the range from 8" to 14". The triggers are all different, but the core effect is the same, it allows Lucius to use other model's powers during his activation, though he has to use the 1 action from where those models are standing. The general concept is the same, use commanding presence and this power to have any friendly minion use their (1) action up to three times.

Issue Command has new triggers: Take Aim! is the same; for a Ram it grants focused +1 before the target takes it's action, and now compounds much more easily with the boosts from Dash. Subterfuge and Get Down! have been dropped from the card which sucks a bit, as the ability to drop schemes seemed like a central trick for Lucius. They've been replaced with Watching Closely, which for a Ram heals the target by 2 points. So you Devil's Deal a model to keep soulstones, and then order that minion to take an action and heal the damage back. He's no Dreamer, but it's nice to see some healing. Move it! costs just one Mask, and provides yet another threat extender by 3" allowing slow minions to move much faster than expected.

THE GENERAL GIST OF THE CHANGES

His abilities function more easily, more reliably, and/or out to a longer range; and you don't have to wrack your brains or limit your lists trying to figure out which models are legitimate targets for which abilities. The breakdown of legit targets goes like this:

ALL MODELS: Devil's Deal, What Lackeys are For, Commanding Presence (used to only be for minions), Guild Intelligence (used to only be for minions)

All minions, mimics, and guardsmen: Elite Training (used to only be for minions)

Minions and mimics only: The attack penalty inflicted on enemy models by Red Tape.

Minions only: Issue Command (used to be denied to Austringers)

--- WE MUST ALSO CONSIDER HIS MINI-ME

The Scribe has had quite a few changes made to it.

With the changes made to Lucius, the only power Lucius has that cannot affect the Scribe is Issue Command. this is an invisible change that is rather dramatic. I'm seeing a ton of sneaky tricks with scheme markers, Secret Assets, What Lackeys are for, Companion, Commanding Presence, and Elite Training already.

It loses Insignificant, and replaces with an ability called "The Secretary's Eyes and Ears" that let it take Interact actions while within 6" of a friendly master, which 99.999% of the time is going to mean while within 6" of Lucius. In 35 point games with only six or so models in your crew this seems rather huge.

Butler gives +1 DF to ALL other friendly models instead of just friendly mimics! While it seems likely that you're only going to have Lucius and a Lawyer nearby, the ability to give +1 DF to any model that you take along is pretty cool.

Companion is the same, but since the Scribe can now do interacts, and is a legitimate target for far more of his abilities, this ability is much more flexible and potent.

Glove Slap is mostly the same with the same extraordinary boost that Lucius gets on his sword cane. The red tape two negative flip penalty against minions and mimics lasts until the Scribe activates again or leaves play.

Flurry, which while amusing when considered with Glove Slap, has been replaced with the much better: "Do you have an appointment?" An easy to cast ability that puts the Scribe BtB with Lucius, and then pushes Lucius 4" away. I know that it will have me experiment with being much more aggressive with Lucius in unison with upgrades like Secret Objectives dumping off scheme markers to get additional attacks with the sword cane.

Your Mask Sir is unchanged, but since it's easy condition removal you needn't feel obligated to drag Witchling Stalkers along.

--- UPPGRAYYDS

The upgrades are unchanged, but the changes to Lucius do change them.

Surprisingly Loyal: You can bring in up to four out of faction Guardsmen or Mimics as if they were in faction. Lucius can now affect Enforcers and Henchmen with abilities that were previously only available to minions. Guild can now take mimics like the doppelganger AND the doppelganger gets access to abilities that were only available to minions, and Elite Training grants bonuses to close combat attacks. That said, I am going to experiment at least a little buildind crews that don't use this upgrade, and take only minions and Guardsmen.

Legalese: This seems better, now that Lucius can more safely play in a more aggressive way. The ability to treat enemy auras and areas as friendly would be of more benefit to someone who had better command of all the stats of all the cards than I have. I'd have to rely on my opponent to be aware of things like this making Lucius immune to Sebastian's Catalyst power.

Secret Assets: It's an extra attack as a (0) that has some interacts with scheme markers. There's an interesting new tax against this ability that makes it less impressive than it was. Before, this upgrade was a no brainer, because you needed a 9+ to even get Guild Intelligence to work at all. Now that Guild Intelligence is significantly better the sniper isn't quite as compelling. I'm thinking that whether or not I take this will depend on what Strategy and Schemes are out. Schemes that involve murdering people you take this upgrade, but schemes that involve lots of (1) interacts I might consider leaving this aside.

Secret Objectives: This seems to live in the same space as Secret Assets. If you've got a murdery set of schemes, and little use for scheme markers, you can use Lucius to use a combo of Commanding presence, Issue Command, and Guild Intelligence or Hidden Sniper to drop up to a few scheme markers into a combat, and then have Lucius transform into a mincing machine with that sword. Though since Lucius himself doesn't get the bonus from Elite Training, you might instead have a Doppelganger replicate a face puncher like the Executioner to do that.

Useless Duplication: Can be put on any Mimic, and I hear Mister Tannen is both unpopular, needs to be up close, and is squishy. Since I can see moving Lucius, Tannen, and the Scribe all together with maybe also a Lawyer and Mister Graves along for the ride, this looks fun. Just don't do it around Rasputina, right?

• Like 2

I played a ton of preerrata lucius (I would have bet more than anyone on here until @Ludvig said he played him for 14 months without straying).  I believed that Lucius was a mid range choice until gg2016  schemes really wrecked him.   I think these changes have the potential to push him up into the guild top level of masters (with dita,  sonnia,  nellie and Lucas).

Some things I've observed in a few games since the errata. 

1. I thought the biggest changes were the red tape change and the guild intelligence change.   I Was wrong.   The devils deal change, commanding presence change and the push on issue command made the biggest difference. (And the scribe)

2. That's what lackeys are for used to be my favorite ability on the card.  I considered it the most important by far.   Now,  It gets used sometimes but it is much more situational. 

3. One equivalent 8" walk makes lucius into a scheme runner sometimes.   That's helpful. 

• Like 3

WHAT THIS MEANS TO THE GUILD BOXED SET

It kicks ten times more ass than it did before. For those who, like me, have faltering memories due to old age, the boxed set has Lucius, The Scribe, two Lawyers, Captain Dash, and Two Guild Guard.

THE CHANGES

- Dashiel can now be affected by ALL of Lucius's abilities except Issue Command and the defensive bonus granted by Red Tape. His attacks are nothing to write home about, but Elite Training lets him crack skulls to inflict slow a little more effectively in a pinch, which is also new. Between the two of them, Dash will be the only one actually burning up Soulstones. Best of all, Commanding Presence now works on Dash, and is nearly a sure thing if he's within 6" of both Lucius and a Lawyer when Lucius Walks. This grants bonus uses of Ready Aim! and Fire! actions, or bonus walks to deal with Dash's waddling pace. It makes the Guardsmen in the box a lot more scary as...

- The Guild Guard pick up a boost to close combat attacks, and can get a extra focus and attack combo over what they used to get pretty easily. Mostly, it seems like they're a more imressive firing line, and better at scheme running with Guild Intelligence. Still, they're not exactly setting the world on fire compared to all the other Guardsman options.

- The Lawyers are also significantly better with the modifications to Lucius, and I cannot imagine a crew where I didn't take at least one of them. They used to get more done than the Guild Guard in my games. They now get a positive flip on the close combat attack from Elite Training, and are minions, so with the right cheats you can do an Issue Command with two positive flips on the attack with an ability that causes Slow on Moderate and Paralyze on Severe. Even with Finish the Job they're too slow for scheme running, but Issue Command now has the Move It! trigger to add a 3" move, so that particular weakness isn't as bad as it was.

IF I WASN'T CURRENTLY DOING THE NEVERBORN SCUM THING I'D STILL BE DOING THE NEVERBORN SCUM THING

Neverborn Lucius actually has a better reason to try playing without Surprisingly Loyal, as Lucius and Lawyers can focus on speed, close combat attacks, additional activations, and WP shenanigans that just aren't available to Guild.

Guild is going to love them some Mimics. Here's what you get with Surprisingly Loyal, including Enforcers and Henchmen that didn't use to benefit from Lucius's abilities, but now DO benefit from those abilities like Commanding Presence and the vastly improved Elite Training:

Candy - All kinds of extra and annoyance factor, but a lot of it is WP based.

Mr. Graves - Close combat beatstick with board control, which guild has, but if you take Tannen...

Mr. Tannen - Chatty, turn off ability to spend soulstones, extra movement shenanigans for Graves, seems worth the try

Doppelganger - A bit of anti-synergy there, as it's an Enforcer who's main ability is a (0), but gets boost to close combat and moves from Lucius. Seems solid in fast face beating crew that has good face beaters to copy.

Beckoner - One point more expensive than a showgirl, and showgirls do poison stuff along with Lawyers. You don't get access to brilliance tricks that Neverborn have.

Changling - I don't know if you can still copy the attack of the Austringers, but they can still copy other ranged attacks. It's a minion that can copy ranged atttacks in Guild for 4SS, which makes them just about the first thing I'd reach for.

Terracotta Warrior - Beatstick, though you cannot turn off the damage that's dumped on it with Lucius' DF trigger due to rules stuff.

To be fair I don't get that many games in. About two games a month and a couple of tournaments per year. The big deal was that I didn't allow myself to play anyone else.

I think the Tn of all his abilities being lowered as well as his aura becoming a lot more usable has given me the most joy. Commanding prescence changing so you can do a lot more fun stuff with the high end mimics and guardsmen has also been a big deal. His crews aren't as inflexible anymore and the dopplegänger is truly frightening for opponents.

7 minutes ago, ringsnake said:

Is it just me, or is replacing Dash with Master Queeg and something else fun and thematic? I'm not sure what else I'd take, as I don't own the model, so I don't know where the synergies are.

Queeg has a long engagement, makes scheming into a (0) and can push himself/friendlies/enemies for some damage with his whip. He is also like Lucius in that he can scare people when he walks but he scares them to do (0)s. Another big thing is that he can carry promises which buffs everyone with upgrades. I'd say Queeg and Dashel are a nice pair, Queeg can make a guardsman near Dashel (0) focus, then companion into them and shoot twice with focus. Since Dashel now always carries his 0 ss upgrade, Queeg will boost the attacks of himself, Dashel and Lucius.

Because promises is good with enforcers and masters,  I often feel like it has anti synergy with lucius. 

Pre errata, one thing I noticed about lucius is he liked to have a model like Ryle to operate away from him,  draw some attention,  not compete too much for cards.   Phiona might be a good choice for that as well. 

I hate the idea of buying a box for one model, ; much less buying it twice, but has anyone done dual fk trappers since the errata? 

Another thing I haven't heard anyone talking about is using surprisingly loyal to get ffm done.   It can surprise your opponent if you damage your own model 2 damage for the stone first. 

• Like 2

I think the Brutal Emissary is an excellent consideration for Lucius lists especially for looking to get up close and personal with some of the new toys like Witchling Thralls.

If you play an aggressive list, the Emissary's Brutal Conflux stacks with Lucius' Elite Training.  So your minion's :meleeattacks are now at :+fate:+fate for some shocking accuracy out of solid attacks like Witchling Thralls, Pine Box, Glove Slaps, etc.  Due to aura healing coming out of A Cage for All, and no reason not to spam A Cage for All in most Lucius crews, I think Brutal Conflux is the way to go.  A Cage for All is also a nice with the :tome trigger granting healing to all friendly models activating in that aura.  It heals 2 damage, coincidentally the same amount of wounds you have to pay for devil's deal.  So you can drain your opponents deck, potentially hand out some slow, and heal your own models- whats not to love!

As an aside, Conflux of Tyranny isn't bad, since when combined with a Cage for All, you could be healing 3 wounds just for activating nearby the Emissary.  Lucius Himself can be a legitimate close combat threat- pair him with a Transparency Phiona and some reporters, fill the area around him with scheme markers, Activate him late and make use of Secret Objective's (0) and enjoy an onslaught of free back stabs to make any melee Master jealous.  Devastating if you can pull it off, but would require way to much set up.  This trick would be far more useful in Neverborn to add a Healing Aura to the Mysterious Emissary, and the Autumn Knights have more synergy with Lucius than Phi due to benefiting from his Elite Training Aura, and being able to be issued Commands.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trikk said:

One more thing the OP skipped but is now well known:

Lucius can target himself with Commanding Presence.

That's so wrong. If I understand you correctly, so long as the high WP Lucius who can get a bonus flip from a Lawyer (but not himself) makes his WP checks you can Move, Issue Order, Move, Issue Order, Move Issue Order?

I guess his overwhelming arrogance allows him to be inspirational even to himself, and the Black Joker is him basking in his own radiance? Or does he negatively talk himself down as a means of motivation, occasionally ending up in a black depression when you draw the Black Joker?

Seems safer to use it on other crew members. I know my luck, and unless I have the Black Joker in my hand, I would be certain to draw it on walk #1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ringsnake said:

That's so wrong. If I understand you correctly, so long as the high WP Lucius who can get a bonus flip from a Lawyer (but not himself) makes his WP checks you can Move, Issue Order, Move, Issue Order, Move Issue Order?

I guess his overwhelming arrogance allows him to be inspirational even to himself, and the Black Joker is him basking in his own radiance? Or does he negatively talk himself down as a means of motivation, occasionally ending up in a black depression when you draw the Black Joker?

Seems safer to use it on other crew members. I know my luck, and unless I have the Black Joker in my hand, I would be certain to draw it on walk #1.

Since after passing a Horror Check you`re immune to Horrors you can:

AP1: Walk, Commanding Presence Yourself to Walk and Commanding Presence Model #1

AP2: Walk, Commanding Presence Model #2

AP3: Walk, Commanding Presence Model #3

4 Walks and 3 Commanding Presence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trikk said:

Since after passing a Horror Check you`re immune to Horrors you can:

AP1: Walk, Commanding Presence Yourself to Walk and Commanding Presence Model #1

AP2: Walk, Commanding Presence Model #2

AP3: Walk, Commanding Presence Model #3

4 Walks and 3 Commanding Presence.

I think I'm just going to pretend that he can't use it on himself, because that's just rules lawyering run amok.

Besides, I remain certain that I'd Black Joker it even if there was only one horror check to make.

• Like 1

Something I haven't seen mentioned about Conflux of Tyranny is that Backstab is :melee2, instead of the Sword Cane's :melee1. That lets Lucius fight back against melee-focused models without wasting an AP closing the distance. Seems it would also be fun to drop with Hidden Weapons for a bunch of possibly 4/5/6 track attacks.

• Like 3

I haven't been able to use the emissary since I spent a year afraid to start painting Sonnia's avatar. May need to break it out for this weekend's tournament :)

Queeg making everyone interact as a (0) and Lucius letting them do it while engaged can get markers out but the real challenge is getting markers within the legal minimum for interacts since otherwise you cap out quickly. Any ideas except finish the job and lackeys? I know Lucius has hidden assets but you can't really spend 3ss on upgrades that both grant (0) actions.

At any rate hidden weapons should allow him to avenge models with finish the job, just getting one or two attacks is ok for a single use of a masters (0), not sure how many attacks I would want to set up through the game to feel I got my stone's worth. Could Lucius become a real brawler with that and maybe promises?! Just realized Tannen and the backstab go well together :D I also persist in my assertion that a doppleganger should be able to copy backstab since it's on the emissary's card.

3 minutes ago, trikk said:

To be honest Rules Lawyering seems like exactly something Lucius would do ;)

Hahahaha! Argument stolen!

It's not that lawyery, there is clear precedent from Lilith tangling herself. If you don't want people doing it on themselves use "other" in the action/ability.

• Like 6

I'm not sure using Commanding Presence on Lucius is really needed. He's slow, but his commands have decent range and he can walk while doing them, and he can use That's What Lackeys Are For to get closer when needed. I haven't played as many games as some others, but my girlfriend who plays him never seems to have issues with him left behind.

• Like 1

If you want his aura far up turn 1 it can be nice. There is also that mad dash last turn to either score undercover entourage after standing in your own half of the table or to deny enemy breakthrough or something with legalese.

That 18" move for two ap ifyou trade places with a well placed friend isn't too shabby, 22" if you walk for the last ap. You might also want to walk and place a marker for stake a claim each turn if the opponent killed all your minions too fast.

7 hours ago, ringsnake said:

WHAT THIS MEANS TO THE GUILD BOXED SET

It kicks ten times more ass than it did before. For those who, like me, have faltering memories due to old age, the boxed set has Lucius, The Scribe, two Lawyers, Captain Dash, and Two Guild Guard.

THE CHANGES

- Dashel can now be affected by ALL of Lucius's abilities except Issue Command and the defensive bonus granted by Red Tape. His attacks are nothing to write home about, but Elite Training lets him crack skulls to inflict slow a little more effectively in a pinch, which is also new. Between the two of them, Dash will be the only one actually burning up Soulstones. Best of all, Commanding Presence now works on Dash, and is nearly a sure thing if he's within 6" of both Lucius and a Lawyer when Lucius Walks. This grants bonus uses of Ready Aim! and Fire! actions, or bonus walks to deal with Dash's waddling pace. It makes the Guardsmen in the box a lot more scary as...

- The Guild Guard pick up a boost to close combat attacks, and can get a extra focus and attack combo over what they used to get pretty easily. Mostly, it seems like they're a more imressive firing line, and better at scheme running with Guild Intelligence. Still, they're not exactly setting the world on fire compared to all the other Guardsman options.

I would add that Ripples of Fate in conjunction with the Lucius buffs did a huge job to improve Lucius' box.   Dashel's 0 upgrade Arrest Him! allows him to summon a Guild Guard off your enemies, this makes Dashel one of Guild's only summoners, and Guild Guard are a lot less unimpressive when they are summoned in.  This means that in a game you can avoid actually hiring Guild Guard in favor of other Guardsmen, but still use the full Lucius box by summoning them in with Dashel over the course of the game.  Thanks to Arrest Him!, my 3 metal Guild Guards, some of my absolute favorite sculpts in any miniatures game, actually see action.  Summon in, (0) focus, and take a swing at their new friend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Hahahaha! Argument stolen!

It's not that lawyery, there is clear precedent from Lilith tangling herself. If you don't want people doing it on themselves use "other" in the action/ability.

Definitely. See also Ryle's heal - "target friendly Construct heals blah blah" he can target himself, because he is a friendly Construct. Commanding Presence says friendly model, and Lucius is himself a friendly model. Easy. There's still a risk of Black Jokering yourself, so you still have to be careful. 

Another fun thing to do is Commanding Presence himself to get an Issue Command out if you're just out of range. 4" of free movement for the cost of a 5 is nice. 

• Like 1

I used him last night. If I'd used his commanding presence on himself, I'd have drawn a Black Joker on it and paralyzed him.

I rest my case.

Also, his boxed set sucks against crews that are not boxed sets. If Queeg does the same (0) interact trick that Captain Dashiel does, I see no point in ever using either Dashiel or the Guardsmen.

What is up with the Guild Guard? Am I missing something, or are they the weakest minions of any faction ever?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ringsnake said:

I used him last night. If I'd used his commanding presence on himself, I'd have drawn a Black Joker on it and paralyzed him.

I rest my case.

Also, his boxed set sucks against crews that are not boxed sets. If Queeg does the same (0) interact trick that Captain Dashiel does, I see no point in ever using either Dashiel or the Guardsmen.

What is up with the Guild Guard? Am I missing something, or are they the weakest minions of any faction ever?

Dashel and Queeg do very different things, and they actually pair very well with each other.

Dashel's aura gives all other guardsmen near him the ability to take a Focus as a (0). he has an other aura that gives all guardsmen sh actions :+fate.   Queeg can make minions take a (0) by walking and passing a horror duel, and he can take a 1 action to give himself an aura that lets minions take interacts as a (0).  Queeg walking and models taking (0) focus actions is only possible with Guard Minions where the abilities overlap.  However it is very powerful when set up right, just make sure you aren't spending too much on support and not enough on the models being supported.

Guild Guard are terrible, never hire them.  Hire things like Riflemen, or Guild Hounds, or Pathfinders, Austringers... anything but Guild Guard.  However its good that they come in the box with Dashel because he SUMMONS THEM.  Dashel is one of Guild's only summoners, and he can summon Guild Guard from an opposed walk duel thanks to his 0 point upgrade Arrest Him.  If you are playing Dashel you typically want to place him where his auras have the most effect and try to summon as many new Guild Guard as you can.  Guild Guard feel a lot less underwhelming when they are summoned in.  Truthfully Dashel was pretty mediocre before Ripples of Fate, but I've had a good time using him as a mobile aura bunker and summoner which is unique to guild, it helps that his Summons can usually immediately make use of his (0) focus to make their slow first activation count.

Lawyers are lawyers... there is a whole thread talking about them right now.  The general conversation is "what reason should I take em?" "I have no idea, but for some reason they usually exceed expectations"

Lucius' box has the same issue a lot of boxes do, it really needs some additional purchases to flesh it out.  Staying in Lucius' thematic, Pathfinders are great to help with armour and to summon obnoxious traps, Wardens and Hounds are solid melee guardsmen who benefit greatly from Lucius' :+fate:melee aura and Dashel's (0) focus aura.  Austringers are always spectacular.