Legal Rammifications: Guild Lawyer Tactica

Masquer

On 2/19/2017 at 5:39 AM, Cadaverousbirth said:

Playing one of these guys tonight because of this topic. I've never seen a reason for them before, but being an annoying support model who dies have gives me a scheme marker? I'll give it a shot. He takes the spot of a second Austringer or Death Marshall who both do arguably better things, but maybe he can pull his weight.

Had maybe game last night and the Lawyer did really well! Almost too well, I wanted him to die for his marker but he survived despite my best efforts to the contrary. I'm going to definitely keep bringing him in, especially against any nefarious Neverborn crews I see. 

• Like 2

I don't think enough has been said for their longevity.  High defences.  Inbuilt ability to discard to give the attacker a :-fate.  Ability to get hard to wound.  Throw a couple of the mimic upgrades around via Lucius or a Doppelganger and you can also get another discard for :-fate attack and make them hard to shoot due to randomisation as well.

• Like 1

It's always performed better than I expected it to, though he never gets a lot done himself, he's surprisingly durable, and dropping Fees on things irritates opponents something fierce, though blackblood models just thank you for letting them do additional damage I'm not sure about putting Fees on my own models when I'm using Lucius in Neverborn.

A few combo ideas I've had off the top of my head with him:

Master Queeg to trigger additional uses of Impassioned Defense. Distributing Hard to Kill among a mass of other Guardsmen seems good when many of the Guardsmen models seem to have Armor.

Performer, Nurse, and Lawyer with McMourning to add poison as a legitimate strategy in Guild McMourning. I've not used the Performer yet, but the Lawyer and all of the 'medical' Guild models synergise with each other about as well as anything I own.

Putting Fees on enemy models, and put them in a position where they have to attack something that's got Impassioned Defense, Armor, and lots of wounds. Rather than a few points of damage, it becomes mutually assured destruction. Especially for models that do their damage a few points at a time over several or more attacks.

PROBLEMS I'VE HAD:

It's a complex support model with multiple rules, and lots of interacts with the enemy crew as well as your own crew. I constantly forget one or more of his abilities like Finish the Job and Highest Authority. For new players like me, this is the worst thing about him.

He comes in one of the worst boxed sets ever. New Lucius is great, but Guild Guard are godawful. Big additional money investment to get models that are good with him. That box comes with two Lawyers, but even at 50SS I'm hesitant to take more than one.

A poison option in a faction with relatively little need for poison outside of McMourning and bringing in Performers as mercs.

Lining up even Moderate damage from any attack off any model is a challenge, so if there are any Guild models that do hand and deck draw tricks, or grant CC bonuses other than Lucius' new Elite Training I'm all ears.

59 minutes ago, ringsnake said:

Putting Fees on enemy models, and put them in a position where they have to attack something that's got Impassioned Defense, Armor, and lots of wounds. Rather than a few points of damage, it becomes mutually assured destruction. Especially for models that do their damage a few points at a time over several or more attacks.

Lining up even Moderate damage from any attack off any model is a challenge, so if there are any Guild models that do hand and deck draw tricks, or grant CC bonuses other than Lucius' new Elite Training I'm all ears.

Welcome to Guild, faction of additive bonuses and exploiting...what did he call it, tempo?...exploiting whether the enemy has activated or not in the turn, and a surprising amount of chain activation. Hand and deck manipulation are notoriously absent, save the watcher's trigger to look only one card ahead in one deck.

Melee bonuses are restricted by keyword: Lady Justice inspires all nearby minions for killing things herself but that is just about the only other one I can imagine boosts lawyers in melee. We can hire mercenary card draw (Hannah, Anna Lovelace, Sue) or mercenary bestow focus (Envy) but they need to enhance models better than lawyers to be worth their cost. If we need attacks to go through, we use 1AP to focus and then the other to hit with the positives to attack and damage.**

It's the mutually assured destruction of Fees which excites me most. Reliable damage sans damage flip is acceptable but 1 damage per AP is so low.

The lawyer I ran alongside Queeg did more for him by applying hard to wound than he did for it. Technically a Promises carrier in a McCabe crew, such as Queeg, could stand by the lawyer which receives a McCabe upgrade and then bestow positive melee flips, but again, another model probably needs it more.

[Black Blood: currently in vogue in my meta for wounding without damage flips, therefore black blood shamans are seen. Last I saw a Titania was experimenting with a blooded knight reeling in armored opponents base-to-base and then bleeding on them. I'm sure a lawyer could add fees to the mix before wandering off to litigate elsewhere.]

*from recent intro game: "just assume everything [Gnomezilla] brings has crit strike"

**spent much of yesterday focusing, actually, against a Rasputina crew with lots of "after attack, attacker ends activation" defense triggers; while one game is hardly a true sample size and I cannot do the card math, it didn't fish out severe damages but did a decent job pulling out moderate

I still don't get their longevity thing. Maybe it's because I like to brawl with Ryle and Francisco. Francisco usually wants one card to flurry and one card to put up Finesse to give the meanest opponent negatives against him. Ryle usually wants any tomes to get to armour 3 and one card to discard for his heal. Those two also tend to companion as my first activation on all turns after turn 1. If I had a less card hungry crew I might see how the lawyer could get some of that. Now that Lucius buffs mimics I have been using Ryle a bit less although Francisco usually eats my first two discard friendlty cards.

I ran lawyers with McMourning in a theme list that included nurses, orderlies, heartsbane, and other such models. I called it 'Medical Malpractice', and did it more for the amusement value.

The Lawyer was surprisingly effective, and especially against Nicodem Resser; the bonus flip to horror duels was very useful. Running an Orderly that got Disrupt Magic off of Heartsbane into Nicodem's face off of Injection was also highly entertaining, as well as being able to distribute more poison than my opponent expected. Still lost, I lose most of my games, but again I totally forgot Finish the Job and Higher Authority.

I've also used the Lawyer with Moonlighting on McMourning, and I'll be honest, the Lawyer seems more useful with McMourning as a Resser, and Lucius as Neverborn.

Ressers McMourning gets a model with Finish the Job, grants bonus to terror duels for those WP:4 nurses, and distribute poison almost as well as their other options.

Neverborn Lucius gets WP based attacks that compound with all their other WP based hijinks as well as an ability to distribute Hard to Wound onto otherwise fragile models.

• Like 1