Tips for Brand New Player Starting with Asami?

ImmortalStrain

Hello,

I am new to Malifaux and just ordered my first set of stuff to get started. I picked Ten Thunders primarily for the Ascetics and having a strong desire to paint Asian themed models after playing many hours of Nioh.

I have picked through a lot of threads, watched videos, etc. so i at least have a baseline idea of how the game runs. I have many years of skirmish experience with the likes of Warmachine and Infinity. I know she may not be the easiest Master to start with, but i'm ok with a steep learning curve because our local miniatures groups are pretty brutal to begin with usually.

Basically I'm hoping you guys/gals can give suggestions or tips on things I should try or focus on since i'm new. As well as model suggestions to pick up next after i get a feel for her and the game.

These are the models I ordered today and should have next week:

Wrath of Oni Box
Tengu Box
Lone Swordsman

Kamaitachi

You're going to want her other summons eventually, so Obsidian Oni and Jorogumo. If you have any McMourning players around you, Akaname as well. Other than that i would suggest Katanaka Snipers and Low River Monks to help round out the crew. 

Asami is very versatile to use and can do everything well so don't worry about her difficulty at first, you will catch on fast. Remember that you don't NEED to summon all the time, walking and putting a scheme marker down is sometimes the better play. Good luck!

Yasunori + terracotta are sick with her.

Ama is also nice for more flying 1ap charges.

Heavenly design is my favorite upgrade along with equality on her.

Yokai are best initial summons as their extra flicker helps with gaining activation control.

I like a wandering river monk to drop schemes for her on flanks. 10t bros can do this less effectively though cheaper.

Dragging opponents out of Position with reaching tendrils can be huge.

She is a very versatile master, enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

My initial Asami crew setup:

• Asami Tanaka
    • cuddlearious Pact 
    • Grasping Strands
    • A Heavenly Design
  • Amanjaku
  • Ohaguro Bettari
    • The Fate of Mortals
    • A Taste for Flesh
  • The Lone Swordsman
    • Recalled Training
  • Katanaka Sniper
  • Obsidian Oni (x2)

I have the other Oni to summon (except Akaname)

I haven't had a chance to run this crew on a table yet, but excited to try Asami out!

• Like 1