Can anyone use a grimoire?

DarkSpade

Is there any kind of limit on who can use a grimoire(aside from any restrictions imposed by the grimoire itself) or can anyone who studies one start slinging spells?

Since a character doesn't have to have the grimoire physically on them to "access" it, would that allow two characters to access the same grimoire at the same time?  I'm probably not going to allow it in my campaign since I like the idea of the players stopping some magic throwing bad guy by taking control over its grimoire.  just curious as to what the official(or just popular) ruling is.

7 minutes ago, DarkSpade said:

Is there any kind of limit on who can use a grimoire(aside from any restrictions imposed by the grimoire itself) or can anyone who studies one start slinging spells?

Anyone who finds a grimoire can study it (typically called "attuning" to it) and then use the Magia and Immuto it contains.

7 minutes ago, DarkSpade said:

Since a character doesn't have to have the grimoire physically on them to "access" it, would that allow two characters to access the same grimoire at the same time?  I'm probably not going to allow it in my campaign since I like the idea of the players stopping some magic throwing bad guy by taking control over its grimoire.  just curious as to what the official(or just popular) ruling is.

There is nothing that prevents characters from sharing a Grimoire, though a character can only be attuned to one Grimoire at a time.

In the 2nd edition rules, a character's attunement slowly fades, so if they don't check up on their Grimoire from time to time, they'll start forgetting the Magia and Immuto that it contains.

• Like 2