tournament report 2/11/2017

Mxbedlam

So this weekend I loaded up my Arcanists and tried to win a few rounds to get my challenge of winning a tournament game with each Arcanist master this year.  This might be a harder task than I imagined considering my 1-2 record for the day. Sigh. Anyway onto the reports

Round 1--- Ramos vs Sandeep

Flank Deploy

Interference

My list: Ramos ( Under pressure, field generator), Captain (Patron, BET), Johan, Electric Creation, Mech Rider, Brass arachnid

Opponent's List: Sandeep (Resevoir, Not sure the rest) , Amina, 3 Mages (Shielding, Runes), 2 Wind gamin, Mech Rider

I went into it trying to be cute and not realizing the brass arachnid should have been something else for all the good it  did. I also took Tail 'Em not realizing that Sandeeps (0) let he and Amina place behind blocking terrain to stop me scoring. My other pick was claim jump which I only got 1 point for.

Turn 1, Ramos made 2 spiders, Mech Rider ran up the board, Captain failed an Airburst, pushed Johanna and dropped some wind walls, Johanna took slow off 2 spiders, spiders dropped claim markers.

My opponent sumoned Banasuva and a gamin, moved up his Mech Rider and gamin dropped scheme markers, mages and Amina got into position and killed 1 spider.

Turn 2, Ramos made 2 spiders, Banasuva flew into Ramos, Johanna charged Banasuva (missed both times), Captain dropped wind walls and pushed a spider, Gamin accused a spider, Spider dropped a scheme marker, Amina tried to put summons on the spider, Spider tagged Amina for Tail 'Em, His mech rider summoned a metal gamin, My mech rider summoned a fire gamin and killed a wind gamin, mages missed a few attacks.  We each got interference and claim jump, he got 1 point for accuse, I got 1 point for Tail 'Em. 

Turn 3, Johanna Flurried a Mage and missed all 3 attacks, Mage retaliated and put a little damage on her, Spider tagged Amina for Tail 'Em, Amina placed out of LoS, Spider dropped a scheme marker, Metal gamin charged mech Rider and did minimal damage, Ramos summoned some spiders, mage killed scheming spider (We forgot that the mage was engaged by Johana, silly 3 inch melee), Mech rider summoned another fire gamin and charged the his mech rider. He ended up scoring both accuse, claim jump and interference, I didn't get a single point.

By that time the game was done. We spent a lot of time figuring out what the other was doing and waiting on a rules call. (Banasuva who can't take attack actions, cannot disengage). In the long run I had never played vs Sandeep before so it was a tough game for me. I think if I had to do it over, the game would go much better. Also, Johanna missing every attack and captain failing 3 airbursts really hurt all in all.  Good game though and my differential wasn't terrible.

Game 2- Marcus vs Sonnia

Corner Deployment

Guard Stash

My list: Marcus (Trail, Hunger cry, feral), Cassandra (PP), Myranda (imbued), Cerberus (Imbued), 2 molemen, Jackalope, performer, and a raptor.

His List: Sonnia (can't remember the load out), Grimwell, 3 stalkers, malifaux child, 2 traps and a handler

I took Claim Jump and Leave your Mark. 

First turn, I move the jackalope up around terrain and out of sight of his crew, He moves up a stalker. I move cassandra 2x, drop a scheme and trapdoor a marker exaclty 8' from the molemen. He moves a stalker. I place a moleman, walk and drop a marker. He moves a stalker. I place the other moleman and double walk it further down toward the corner. He has the child drop flame pillars by one of hte stash markers. I walk a perfomer and go defensive. He moves Grimwell up and tows Sonnia. I move myranda. He moves Sonnia up, and misses a few shots on the performer. I measure it out, activate marcus, give him 8' wk, alpha the cerberus, feral Sonnia, put her on negative flips. Cerberus goes, wk, leap, wk. Cerberus takes its action for the turn. Charges sonnia. I get 3 maul triggers in a row. Bird comes down at end of board. Sonnia is at 2 wounds at end of turn 1

I win intiiative. Kitty kills Sonnia. Grimwell attacks the Kitty with his (2) and puts it on 2 wounds. Marcus charges Grimwell puts some damage on him, ferals a witchling stalker. Handler charges Marcus does some damage to him and he defends the second attack onto the beast stalker which blows up. Opponent reveals Eliminate the Leadership. Myranda moves up in Guard range and heals marcus up. Stalker kills the kitty. cassandra kills the trap and drops a marker, trapdoors a marker by the bird. Stalker attacks Marcus does some damage. Moleman does his thing, drops another marker. Malifaux child fails to heal a stalker, Performer just moves around. I score claim jump, guard and leave. opponent scores 1 point for Eliminate. 

Turn 3, after marcus goes first and melts Grimwell my opponent concedes to a 10-1 victory for super aggro marcus. Was a fun game and my opponent just didn't realize how far a cerberus could get, and the cards just played into my favor. My opponent took it well and we laughed and went to watch other games.

Round 3- Marcus vs Lilith. 

My list: Marcus (trail, feral, hunger cry), Cassandra (PP, well rehearsed), myranda (imbued), cerberus (imbued), jackalope gunsmith, raptor, performer.

My opponent's list: lilith (not sure of load out), nekima, 2 tots, doppleganger, graves, johan, mysty emissary, puke worm.

Standard Deploy

Headhunter

I took Leave mark, and quick murder (nekima)

Turn 1 I win intiative raptor makes gunsmith a beast and gives him fast. Puke worm does nothing. jackalope moves off to a corner. Graves pushes Lilith and moves up himself. Marcus gets +3 wk, Howls his beasts, walks up, turns lilith into a beast, puts her on negatives and moves out of tangle range. Doppleganger copies show me the door and pushes Nekima up. Performer moves to the side. Johan moves up under cover. Cassandra drops a marker, nimbles and drops a marker. tot goes. Myranda moves into range to give marcus positives on Def. Nekima moves up under cover. Cerberus goes, leaps charges nekima. Drops her down to 6 health. Lilith drops some trees to block LOS to Marcus, tangles a tot. 

turn 2 opponent wins initiative. Nekima goes, kills the cerberus and runs away. Quick murder accomplished.  Marcus goes +wk, +damage, melee expert, moves up to Lilith and Nekima. Ferals Lilith. ALphas her, melee expert to kill the tot. Lilith kills Nekima. Quick murder accomplished Lilith goes, hits marcus but marcus tosses damage ont the gunsmith and takes a small chunk to reveal Eliminate the Leadership. Myranda tries to heal marcus, fails. becomes a blessed. Johan charges marcus and misses but puts all heads in his melee. Performer drags Johan away. Puke Worm does nothing. cassandra moves, grabs a head, blasts graves for a severe that also hits doppleganger and lilith. 

I score Leave mark, quick murder and headhunter. opponent gets quick murder, eliminate, and headhunter. 

turn 3, opponent wins initiative and kills marcus, blessed and gunsmith with Lilith. Cassandra grabs a head and blasts again but misses. on a negative flip on the charge, Johan flips severes on attacks and then graves does the same thing killing her. We both take a moment to look at the board state, realize I'll get all my points for leave your mark and he'll get all of his points. so we call it at 10-8.

This was a good game where my deck just ran real hot and then sputtered out when I needed it to work for me. Some very awesome cinematic moments in the game and I should have just killed Lilith when I had the chance.

All in all good day but I could have performed better. 1 win for marcus, 6 more masters to go. 

• Like 3

Good stuff! A pleasant read and some good detail in there. I'll ignore the Ramos games because all I know about him is that it's usually amusing to Alpha him... 

Your claim crew is one I ran at UK Nationals last year, but with a Razorspine rather than the Performer and Raptor. Similar to your experience, I went hyper agressive and got a big win. If you can get a Cerberus attacking Sonnia, particularly if she's domesticated, she simply disappears. I believe that's how Sonnia has died in every single game I've played against her (maybe sometimes with a shillelagh to the face too). It also helps that you can usually do it either as the last activation of turn 1, or the first of turn 2. Another way you can do it is to put Darzhee's Chaunt on the Cerberus (assuming it's the last activation of the turn) which makes you run through so many cards the tombs just pop out left right and centre... but obviously it's easier for Sonnia not to be able to cheat. My usual approach is (after opponent is all activated) Myranda walk-walk-cerberus, Marcus walk-Alpha (plus 0's), AlphaCerberus Walk-leap, Cerberus leap-charge. That way you can pretty much get to the far side of the table with it before your opponent can react, and because Myranda has died you have 4 extra cards in hand for Mauling.

The Headhunter crew is an interesting one. With Quick Murder in the pool, the Cerberus is always a risky option. Obviously without that your opponent would just have picked Myranda, which is even worse, but Cerberus's rarely survive games. This is where someone like Joss or a Rogue Necromancy (or a Dawn Serpent?) is useful to have in your back pocket just in case. I'm intrigued with the Gunsmith. They're lovely models, and I've had some success using them with Kaeris, but with Marcus I'm not sure that they pull their weight. Me being me, I'd take a Razorspine instead, but the other obvious alternative is the December Acolyte. That being said, I do appreciate people trying "non-standard" compositions, and if Gunsmiths work for you, then keep using them. Hard to Kill and their triggers are certainly good things to have.

You were unlucky to lose 3 big models to Lilith in 1 turn. It may have been better to hit people in the face, rather than Alpha Lilith, but it's certainly not a bad play. Again, at Nationals I had a game where Marcus ended up in melee with Lilith and Nekima at the same time. If you Feral Lilith (wp5) and melee nekima with your trigger (df5), neither of them can hit you, because you can just use your defensive trigger to stick the damage on the other one... very funny. Also Law of Meat can be useful for shutting down Nekima (if you can get rid of Johan).

Either way, an 8-10 is certainly not a bad outcome, and as you say, the deck can ruin the best laid plans. Sounds like you had good fun. I look forward to your Kaeris games (the only other Arcanist I have a reasonable amount of experience with).

My Kaeris experiments so far revolve around Carlos and Envy (because Envy and Carlos are amazing).  

I really sort of messed up the first turn against Lilith. Forgetting all about her ability to drop forests. I'm probably going to drop Marcus again in the tournament next month, as he is absolutely the strongest master in the fact for most scheme pools. His versatility is just nuts.