Help with crew

Magictimes4ever

New to the game. Can you gentleman help with building a crew. Feel free to e mail me. Soccer_james14@hotmail.com I don't wanna buy anything without knowing what I need. I was told gremlins aren't very competitive but please send me thought suggestions and tactics on lists for a tournament I wanna dive in with a decent crew 

thanks 

It depends on who you're interested in playing. I assume "sent" was autocorrect for "aren't" and I think a lot of people would dispute that - every faction can be competitive if you play them right.

Top three masters I think for starting are probably Som'er Teeth Jones (The Bayou Boss), Wong (Explosive Solutions), or Zipp (The Sky Pirates). My personal favourite of those three is Som'er, but I'd buy whichever seems most interesting to you.

Then I'd follow up with:

• Burt Jebsen - a just generally great enforcer with a melee focus, comes in his own box
  • Slop Haulers - amazing purchase for new gremlin players, they're healers which is useful, but they can also pack a pretty surprising punch both ranged and melee, I barely make a crew without them
  • McTavish - a very reliable henchman who ignores basically all the downsides of shooting
  • Merris LaCroix - lower priority if you pick up Zipp's box because The First Mate can do similar, but she is very good at doing schemes that require scheme markers

Those four with whichever starter will give you ~60-70 SS worth of models to play with, and you can't really go far wrong with those options tbh.

• Like 2

I would add Gracie to that list, and when you can the box called Creative taxidermy. Another box I recommend in any case is Ophelia one, just because it's a straight forward crew, that offers a lot of piece you can use everywhere. About gremlins being not competitive I would disagree and agree with @Dogmantra (I wasn't on podium only at my first tournament, from there never lower than third).

Welcome

Malifaux is a little different to most wargames, in that you don't need to build your crew until you know what your individual mission is, and so you can customise exactly what you bring to meet what you need to do. As such a general list is very hard to produce, because it might do well in one game, but be completely rubbish for a different game.

Now that that obligatory piece of advice is put the way...

Gremlins can be highly competitive and I would say that any one of the 8 masters can do well, although some are harder than others. So your first thing to consider is what Master you want. From there you will need to buy 1 or 2 more boxes to get to 50 ss, and that can work. I was at an event yesterday in which we played 45 ss games, and picked from a maximum pool of 70 SS including upgrades, and there were several gremlin players there (and 1 of them won it). So you don't need to have a large pool of models to be competitive, but you might well need the correct models for you. This is important. I hate some of the models other people think are auto include, because for me they are rubbish and don't do what I want them to do. Others get great use out of them, so just because the internet recommend something doesn't mean its actually the best thing for you and the way you play. 

Assuming you have time and a limited budget I would suggest you decide on a master to try, and play a few games with just their crew box. this will let you get an idea of the rules, and what the crew you have can do. It also lets you know what you can't do with the crew, and then  you can start to try things that can do what you need the crew to do better. Then we can  probably give slightly more useful advice. If you don't have time for that then doing something like reading the thread on Zipp- Rather good fun ans seeing soem of the lists used there could get you a competitive list quicker

• Like 1