Starting a Levi crew?

Steinwand

I started about a month ago, with Leve as my *intended* first master. I guess the question is how do you intend to play? Are you looking to just put together fun lists for messing around, do you want to play competitively in tournaments/events? Do you have hundreds of dollars to sink into one master? The best part about Leve for me is he can do pretty much anything, so the other models you buy should depend on that. Check out this schemes and stones post where Leve is listed as tier 3 among outcast masters for starting out simply because of his MASSIVE hiring pool. Also check out the crew faux mobile app if you want to play around with just putting his upgrades on him and seeing what you can hire (here's a hint: there's a LOT).

edit: Leve himself can't do *anything*, but he can hire a crew that can do anything. What Leve himself does is kill and disappear. Once you get the hang of him you'll be dropping an enemy model per turn and hopefully raising some abominations in the process.

Ashes and Dust is probably the first go-to, and is very thematic for him. It's very resilient to actually dying for good (read: having one or both of its component parts killed after the main A&D goes away), is useful for Levi's Rebirth ability, and serves well as an anchor for Waif-based resurrections. As a bonus, it's very killy. 

Hannah and Sue are also good choices, serving as anchors, utility, and buffing the insane card draw capabilities of a Levi crew.

Levi's crew usually has decent guns (Levi himself, Rusty Aylce, Sue if you bring him), but Von Schill's box brings the Librarian and the Trapper to the table - both serve as additional ranged elements, but the Trapper can shoot much further than anything else in the crew, and the Librarian brings both healing as well as another vector to deal with Incorporeal models.

Levi really blows up once you get into the Pariah of Iron/Bone stuff, but the stuff I've listed above will go well with him and permit you to expand more easily into other Outcast Masters should you wish to.

I tend to think of it this way:

Leveticus needs three things to shine:

1. Three anchors, so 6+ss cost models who will also serve as beaters

2. Two scheme runners - just for marker placement and such 

3. Hodgepodge Effigy

there are multiple good models in Outcasts to fill those roles, so don't listen to people about massive hiring pools. Yeah, he can do it, yeah, there are some great models out of faction, but that's by no means a necessity. 

So outcasts:

Ashes and dust

desolation engine

sue

johan

Good out of faction:

i'd start with either neceopunks or mech rider+small box of steam arachnids

• Like 1

There's no real theme for Leveticus other than "kill things and raise abominations when things die" so the only models that really fit in with that are the Desolation Engine and Ashes and Dust. With the pariah upgrades you can really create your own theme like Leve + a bunch of Arcanist constructs, or Leve + Alyce + some mixed faction beater/runner constructs or undead. 

The people that responded above me named a bunch of models that are all really good as waif anchors (allowing points for leve to unbury between rounds), ie trapper/librarian/sue/hannah/johan if you think you're interested in expanding your Outcasts collection. Almost all of those (maybe all?) have the mercenary characteristic so you can hire them out of faction as well if you wish. Leve can also be a good jump into Arcanists or even Ressers because of the pariah upgrades. 

In my experience, I found myself wanting WAAAAYY too many different models to try out with Leveticus so I branched out to other masters that I could get a feel for quicker that also came with some models that could work with Lev. Von Shill's Hired Guns is definitely a good one to go with for that, some of the models in that box make an appearance in the standard lists for almost every Outcast master.

The pariah upgrades open up many possibilities, but I suggest going for the thematic Leveticus pieces and other Outcast essentials before going wild with out-of-faction stuff. Hannah and Johan are very useful models that see a lot of play in all kinds of crew. Ashes & Dust and Desolation engine are nice big beaters that have some nice synergies with Levi. These have been suggested by people above and for a good reason. There are surprisingly few "bad" models in the Outcasts faction (desperate mercs are pretty bad), although some have stronger synergies with particular crews than others.

If you want to go out of faction, just try stuff out by proxying and find out what you like. But there are soooo many opportunities that it might seem overwhelming, and that's why I suggest keeping it simple until you get the hang of how to play Levi.

Recently got started with Levi myself, although I've already got the Arcanist faction at 100% and Rezzers at about 75%.  I've found that I can make a decent crew with Levi, Waifs, Alyce, Ashes & Dust, Lazarus, and a Trapper.  A little weak on marker schemes, until you figure out that you'll just kill things and make them into Abominations anyways.  That said, even if you can't make abominations for some reason, Levi and Ashes and Dust can run schemes if you need them to - that third AP lets them drop a scheme, move, and drop another scheme.  Expensive for a scheme runner, but rather durable, and Levi can easily run around one turn to do the schemes then resurrect back into the thick of things to lend a hand in combat the next turn.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Doesn't Levi need waifs?  I randomly have Levi by himself, but I've avoided using him so far....

Well strictly, no He doesn't need waifs, but unless you hire another totem he gets 2 for free. It is perfectly possible to play him without owning a waif, but you are doing so at a huge disadvantage. (Hateful Darkblack did the School of Faux homework by playing Levi with the malifaux child, And Joe Wood has finished a tournament unbeaten (2 wins and a draw)using Levi and 9 belles in a list written for him that didn't contain any waifs). I would not suggest it but if you want to play hard mode, then its possible. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well, if you search a solid and competitive list, this one won some tournaments here or finished in the first 3 places. You can use this list always fixed against every opponent/strategy/tables etc etc

Leveticus

Rusty

2 Wifes

trapper

trapper

effigy

Ashes & Dust

Some upgrades here and there. Levi box, Von Schill box, Ashes & Dust, Effigy. The second trapper can be a problem because you have to buy a second box of Von Schill or find it spare that is expensive and difficult. Instead you can use Johan, a model you will use often in the outcast faction.

Some will say that this list is old and bla bla bla. But when I saw the good results in tournaments with 15-25 people, I'd say is ok is a solid and simple list.

From there you can develop something different. Enjoy.

Edit: the third box would be Viktorias, with Malifaux Child and Hannah. In this manner you will have 3 good masters that works very well togheter. After that you can add Wretches/Plagues as cheap scheme runners. You will have really enought to play for months and to go to tournaments in competitive manner.

Its hard to get away from the core of Levi, Rusty, Ashes, 2 waifs. It seems to be the solid place to start then build from there. Decide whether you want to go constructs or undead. OR alternately save the 1 SS for oathkeeper and stay in faction. You can easily hire lazarus, vanessa, trappers, etc and never have to delve into the rabbit hole that is all of Levi's hiring pool. 

• 5 weeks later...

Don't buy a second box of Abominations unless you intend to go summoning-heavy to the exclusion of everything else.

There are better models to hire and better ways to spend Levi's AP.

Desolation Engine is alright, but far from a staple model.

Great info, thanks guys

I'm literally JUST getting into this game (group of us bought boxes Thursday night)

Trying to figure out how to expand on Levi - loved his model and the abominations looking like they were inspired by John Carpenters The Thing mixed with Clive Barkers Hellraiser

Just ordered another box of Abom's (never know when you may need them, and they were on sale), Ashes & Dust , and the "Hired Guns" box 

When you guys keep saying "Effigy", are you talking about Hodgepodge effigy? again sorry , brand spanking new to the game :D

4 hours ago, Cryage said:

Great info, thanks guys

I'm literally JUST getting into this game (group of us bought boxes Thursday night)

Trying to figure out how to expand on Levi - loved his model and the abominations looking like they were inspired by John Carpenters The Thing mixed with Clive Barkers Hellraiser

Just ordered another box of Abom's (never know when you may need them, and they were on sale), Ashes & Dust , and the "Hired Guns" box 

When you guys keep saying "Effigy", are you talking about Hodgepodge effigy? again sorry , brand spanking new to the game :D

Every faction has an Effigy and an Emissary (emissary is relatively new, and is a 10SS model that does a lot of funky things with the crew).  Every faction has their [SOMETHING] effigy/emissary

Ours are the hodgepodge effigy/emissary.  Neat little 4SS model. 

6 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Every faction has an Effigy and an Emissary (emissary is relatively new, and is a 10SS model that does a lot of funky things with the crew).  Every faction has their [SOMETHING] effigy/emissary

Notably, Pariah of Bone Levi can take Effigies out of faction, since they're all constructs. I've seen the Arcane Effigy used to great effect in Levi.