Convict Gunslingers - any hope in prison?

Tris

Hi all, a quick question to maybe start a discussion:

has anybody ever got any use out of Convict Gunslingers?

Strictly seen, what do they do better than other, comparably costed models?

(I mean, you can use any model and make it work, but imo the thing is if it has something special going for it it comparison to others)

Any experiences, tipps or tricks out there?

Greetings from Vienna :)

2/3/4 is a beater profile for you?

Also, return fire makes him even more expensive, and does it really net you considerably more damage?

How does he fare in comparison to a freikorps trapper, who's a point cheaper?

Also, imo the def trigger on a 4 value feels like a joke :P

Relentless is nice though, I'll grant them that one^^

They have Rapid Fire, so Jack and Hamelin love to put them in position. 

Sh 6 means they are gonna hit stuff moderately well. 

Return Fire is just nuts. My Sue does more damage out of activation than during activation! (I recently placed second in an enforcer brawl because I just killed everyone by shooting back; still couldn't beat Hooded Rider's 3" melee tho). Same works for Gunslingers!

16 minutes ago, Tris said:

2/3/4 is a beater profile profile for you?

2/3/4 with Sh 6, a :+fate to attacks, and the option for a second shot or giving out Slow. The :+fate bumps their average flip to ≈15, and they can Rapid Fire.

Gunslinger is also an Enforcer, Trapper is a Minion. Which Station is better is up to the Scheme pool.

• Like 2

I tend to use one with Tara from time to time as a midfielder of sorts.  I have several times had Tara *or the Child* give it fast first or second turn and bury him to pluck out near the end of the turn.  At that point he can walk and rapid fire or just shoot 4 times.  The positive is nice for making even cover a strait to hit and I tend to treat him like a death by papercuts with potential of slow in there.  He generally does not live to the end of the game but he does his damage and draws attention, which lets me have my better beater/next model in line on standby to play clean up. 

I think the convicts should be able to hit above their station without much difficulty. They probably won't kill a Henchman solo, but they can soften the target up before your own killy Henchman jumps in, and Shooting Low to slow the target and help pin down mobile threats for a melee beater seems like a good idea.

I'm planning on having them as an option for my Viktorias, and imagine they'll see some fair amount of use with I Pay Better and Howling Wolf Tattoo. Enforcers with Rapid Fire/Flurry seem like excellent Oathkeepers, letting them move into position and still get three attacks if needed.

At the 7/8 Soulstone spot if I'm trying MAINLY pump out damage then I go with the Convict Gunslinger, ESPECIALLY if the opposing crew has to come to me. Return Fire keeps folks from shooting at your because you are going to win the trade off, remember you can declare your trigger with the attack. I normally can put the Convict in position with Jack and Parker. I REALLY wish Parker's limited upgrades made the Gunslingers and Sue bandits! lol

39 minutes ago, Bakunin said:

???

I think I'm missing something here.

In general you might want to switch from highwayman to black market, or vice versa. Doing it by using a zero on a non-bandit is sometimes more AP efficient and useful than taking a shot just to ditch the upgrade. Also, sometimes you find yourself wanting to get rid of an upgrade so that you can cycle a new one on in order to get more soulstones (or cards), but if you took an action to ditch a upgrade (like a shot just for the sake of it, or something) then you aren't really maximising Parker's AP. If there is a non-bandit nearby, then you can use Parker's AP for useful things, like Hands in the Air a few targets, or chucking out some bullet markers, or pushing a model, or even walking to position, and then use the zero to get an attack or interact out of a non-bandit, which means you have to ditch the limited upgrade (net a soulstone), then reattach it, or the other one, and get another soulstone or some cards (assuming you used an enemy marker). I wouldn't say you necessarily want non-bandits, but it is nice to have one or two around for the option if you DO need to cycle an upgrade for some resources (normally stones, to weather a storm, or to setup a good start for the next turn).

• Like 3