Flow like water and ignore it all?

Tris

What are your experiences with Shenlongs "Flow like water" ability?

Do you get a lot of use out of it (taking no damage from self inflicted poison/burning aside)?

Sometimes it just feels outright wrong to ignore the damage from all conditions, like the Ashigarus "Braced for the Charge" or the Strongarm Suits "Polarized Shielding", what`s your opinion on this - intended or overlooked?^^

Also, recalled training is such a strong upgrade - :+fate on everything is all fine and dandy, but phew, the plus on damage and the defensive :+fate until end of turn seems almost like overkill :P -> I´ll take that instead of fast all the time (as there are quite some ways to get fast anyways ;) )

Plus the possibilities with Terracotta Warriors seem endless :D

Opinions on that?

Wouldn`t be surprised if TT get hit in one of the next erratas, but until then they seem on the stronger side of things this year :) 

Holy rules lawyer! I never read Shenlong's ability like that.

Recalled Training is strong alright. I don't think it's too strong, but I'd still get it if it cost 2ss. At least it's discarded and offers no benefit if the user dies, unlike quite a few other upgrades.

Far as models go Brothers are somewhat bonkers for 5ss. And I keep being amazed at how both Katanaka Snipers and Thunder Archers occupy the same 7ss slot.

The fact that we're sitting here discussing the potential cuddling of these totally-not-overpowered models/abilities/upgrades is, like, 40% of why I hated the idea of the errata from the word go.

None of these need a change and it would be a bad sign if any of them got one.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, newsun said:

Yeah I agree nothing here is busted. 10t is just now being brought in line with the other top factions with wave 4.

Didn't say that anything was busted, I'm just not sure if Shenlongs ability was intended that way :)

Was maybe thought to prevent all damage from conditions on him, but if the condition is on an other model - that doesn't seem like it was planned :)

And yeah, TT were definitively brought up with the Emissary, Terracottas, Asami, Yasunori - I like that, new things to think about and more diversity at tournaments, don't get me wrong^^

• Like 1

Was anybody here playing when they did the Crossroads open beta? I didn't start the game until a few months after it closed.

It seems like the kind of thing that somebody would have noticed in the beta and that Justin decided it was a narrow enough issue that it wasn't worth adding words to the ability. Just a guess on that, though.

1 minute ago, tomjoad said:

Was anybody here playing when they did the Crossroads open beta? I didn't start the game until a few months after it closed.

It seems like the kind of thing that somebody would have noticed in the beta and that Justin decided it was a narrow enough issue that it wasn't worth adding words to the ability. Just a guess on that, though.

Jup, have been playing since first edition and took part in the beta, but to be honest not on the Thunders side back then^^

15 hours ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

I would hope The Dragon could avoid a stick pointed by an old lady. Also he's immune to energy fields~~~

If we start going that way, there are actually many masters who should be able to to that :P

@Aaron thank you for the explanation, I don´t think it would be a complicated piece of text in this special case (can`t take damage from conditions on this model / him) but I get what you`re meaning, it`s probably a corner case and most certainly not a pressing matter :) 

9 hours ago, tomjoad said:

I was playing. I got the impression that thunders weren't very popular back then and that most of the focus was on the masters that already had models so I'm not sure to what extent Shenlong was tested. Seems like a really minor thing to me.

I'm more miffed about recalled training being bananas and available to masters. ;)

• Like 1

On 2017-02-09 at 5:30 PM, newsun said:

Recalled is potentially strong, not always. Other factions have similarly strong upgrades.

Compare its damage potential to debt to the guild and explain why recalled training is allowed on masters but debt isn't. :) You could also compare it to soulstone bullet which is basically the guild equivalent and only affects one shot (so not even all the masters primary attacks).

Shenlong with this and his blast upgrade can lead to pretty sick amounts of extra damage compared to debt or SSB. Combine that with the + to df/wp for the rest of the turn and I'd say it breaks the mold for most 1ss upgrades. I guess it's mostly the fact that it's available to masters that seems so off to me, possibly that it affects damage flips.

Compared to imbued energy which grants one ap it grants the equivalent of four ap and a card (three focus and defensive) and an effect that's very hard to achieve (+to wp)

• Like 1