Thoughts on 2nd master?

the tick

I currently play Ulix and am just starting to get a sense of how to play with a plan rather than just flailing around randomly with pigs. So I'm not dead set on interrupting my learning, but I've been contemplating what master I might try next.

Because I still feel like a complete noob, I think I'm still finding my feet with my particular playstyle soooo I think the basis for my choice is initially going to be based on synergies with models I already own. And since I pay Ulix....no surprise....I have a case full of plastic bacon. I think I own:

every flavor of pig

slop haulers

hog whisperer

Lucky Emissary

Sammy LaCroix

taxidermists

My impression is that Wong has some decent synergy with pigs and Zoraida may as well. Brewmaster sort of interests me, but I think that's a poor choice. As for Ophelia and Som'er I'm just not all that interested at the moment. But...I'm taking all advice I can get. So, if my goal is to maximize use of models I already have, am I sane to be considering Wong and Zoraida as my next expansion?

Wong is a good choice. Wong likes Sammy, Gracie, and *really* likes Burt if you have him. Ma Tucket would be good too, I think - sadly the Bushwackers aren't great (yet...) but the Emissary is great with her, Mancha from Wong's box is a melee beast with her and Trixiebelle is fantastic.

I like Zoraida, and she does have some Pig synergy, but her box doesn't bring much to Ulix or Wong, and she'll want more extras (Will O' Wisps etc).

Zoraida is a good choice. Zoraida likes Sammy, Gracie and Burt. Everyone likes Gracie and Burt but Wong makes either of them better in the damage department. But Zoraida has a more natural synergy with Sammy I think, the voodoo stuff plus the card draw, and for me so far with my experiences with all of Malifaux the most fun I've had is Voodoo Doll shenanigans.

Zoraida works with pigs thanks to obeying the (1) pigcharge but in general pigs are not first choice to go with her - but she can work with the odd bacon sarnie. Math Mathonwy made a nice post on the 'I will love it and pet it' thread regarding obeying Gracie's walk, but as well as Burt I'm saying McTavish is next up on the purchase list if you go Z. I think her Silurids can work in other crews, Bad Juju doesn't get too much of a good press but can be fun, whereas it seems a lot of people can generally find room for Wong's Lightning Bugs in other crew builds.

Zoraida does bring in some other interesting models like the Nurse, and with Dual Citizenship potentially offers you a ready made way in to your 'third' *airquotes* Master if you like any of the Neverborn fluffs, I sometime run her as NB with only a couple of tweaks in the crew but the different upgrades make for varied matches, and it allows me the odd venture into a guilty pleasure model such as Hooded Rider or Hayreddin.

Cool, thanks a lot! After the Swine-Cursed come out I'll probably pick up Burt and/or McTavish, don't have either of them yet. Sounds like one or both of them would be good additions to my next master. I completely forgot to mention Ma Tucket in my original post. I'll give her another look, but I think I'll wait and see on her. I should have added that my local meta sees a lot of Neverborn, Ten Thunders and Arcanists. I don't *think* there are any other active Gremlin players in my playgroup. Not sure if that changes the picks at all, but Wong and Zoraida are officially on the short list after your comments. I like the notion of Zoraida opening up another faction, although I think Resurrectionists appeal to me more than Neverborn....so maybe the nurses (via the McMourning crew box) would be an economical addition to a Zoraida purchase then. Thanks again.

7 hours ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

odd venture into a guilty pleasure model such as Hooded Rider or Hayreddin.

How on earth are you taking Hayreddin with Zoraida?

I like the notion of Zoraida opening up another faction, although I think Resurrectionists appeal to me more than Neverborn....so maybe the nurses (via the McMourning crew box) would be an economical addition to a Zoraida purchase then.

Note that while good with Zoraida, Nurses aren't a necessity, and it's the only real overlap between Ressers and Neverborn/Gremlins I can think of. I'd advise sticking to one faction for the time being too, it's easy to suddenly end up with everything ;)

11 minutes ago, Izzinatah said:

Note that while good with Zoraida, Nurses aren't a necessity

I think you're holding yourself back if you don't have a nurse to play with her. I rarely find myself not using one and they are nearly always very influential (even if all they do is drop a crow once per turn to paralyse the doll)

Wong doesn't necessarily have many pig synergies, he works quite nicely with specific pigs like Gracie, and bugs are great everywhere, so he's definitely not a bad choice.

Zoraida has the pigcharge obeys too.

But I also think Brewmaster isn't necessarily so easily dismissable. He's got Obey and a pseudo obey, which works for the 1AP charges. But what else I like with Brewie is to put an enemy with decent defense on :-fates and then pile on with small models who otherwise have quite low stats. I normally use Bayou Gremlins, but you could totally use Piglets, and the fact your opponent probably can't cheat gives you the opportunity to more easily control which triggers you want. Plus you're missing a really strong dedicated schemer, and Brewie's box gives you Fingers, who is really fantastic.

I'm going to go against what everyone else is saying, and suggest Somer.

Somer has interesting pig builds that Ulix doens't.  His ability to give out any suit of cards to everyone within 8" of him is really strong, and if he chooses crows, that means most pigs will now heal for 1/2/3 everytime they hit something.   Somers pigs tend to be a lot more surviveable than Ulix's pigs, which helps since somer is not as good at summoning piglets as Ulix.   Somer also has an upgrade that allows pigs to push towards a target and potentially get a free attack.   It's similar to Ulix melee, but it's got a 12 inch range, doesn't require a suit, and only requires pigs to be nearby, which makes it infinitely easier to set up.

As for continuing to build your Gremlins crew options, Somers box also comes with Lenny (who can summon more piglets)   Lenny is a really strong model, both giving strong support buffs in 3" while also being a really heavy hitting melee bruiser.   Gracie and burt both love him, as he passively gives out rams around him, meaning that both burt and gracie are min damage 4 while they're next to him, which is AMAZING.    You'll also pick up some bayou gremlins, which are handy for certain schemes that require throwing a unit to the side of the board for points.

Somers box will give you a new and interesting pig playstyle, while also drastically increasing your options for other crew compositions.   He also is a very competitive master in and of himself, and learning how to utilize him effectively will make you a better Gremlins player in the long run.    This is why I think picking up the Somer Box next is the superior purchase.

19 hours ago, Izzinatah said:

...I'd advise sticking to one faction for the time being too, it's easy to suddenly end up with everything ;)

Sounds like good advice. As much as I want to have all of the plastic in the world.....just doesn't make sense if I can't run 1 faction really well yet.

@codingCaptor Thanks for adding that bit about Som'er, I hadn't looked at his card as much as I should have. I was wrongly viewing him as sort of like Ulix except more focused on Bayou Gremlins rather than pigs.

So after considering what people had to say I think this is my tentative plan:

1) Swine-Cursed (because more pigs) and Burt (maybe also McTavish) in the next purchase. Sounds like the latter 2 are good choices to lay the groundwork for further expansion.

2) Wong, thematically I think I like how he sounds and if I add Burt he becomes a little stronger. His mechanics appear very different from Ulix and I like the idea of gaining a new view on things.

After that it's a toss up between Som'er, Brewmaster and Zoraida. Som'er is a stronger choice than I'd initially considered. Thematically he doesn't interest me all that much for some reason, but more research is required. Brewmaster has a pretty bad rap on the forum for learning curve and strength, but I really REALLY want to try him just to undertake the challenge. Lastly, Zoraida is one I've been wanting to try for a long time now, but I know myself enough that if I wind up with her then I'll probably burn a hole in my pocket filling out a second faction. Zipp, Mah and Ophelia are at the bottom of my list for the time being.

Sounds like a good plan! The Swine-Cursed aren't out yet, but they should be at the end of the month. Note that they are fantastic with Wong - his Ooo, Glowy! upgrade (usually carried by Sammy) buffs all models with the Magical condition, and the Swine-Cursed are all Magical.