Rams, Rami and video tapes

Dimitri

Hi guys. I am playing a lot of gremlins now and my standard choices are Burt Russell and Gracie. Although i completely love those two guys and they serve me great, i find awkward rare situations that they don't fit the bill. So i start considering Fingers (in Gracie's place) in some games and Rami Lacroix (in Burt's place). Fingers is an other topic. So what about Rami? I was always thinking of him as a useless Ht1 sniper who harms himself and costs more than other snipers. In my meta Colodi, Outcasts in general and other guys who enjoy keeping distance are kind of common. So Rami seems to can annoy the most that guys. Given that Somer is my "main" master rams-for-rami is not the problem. Do you use him? What is your ideas on him? Hunting Party? Dirty Cheater? Mobile model if you run out of targets? Is Ht1 a "deal breaker"? Plz help me because I don't have the model and i don't want to buy it or even bother to proxy it before i listen what my brothers in green think about it. 

Ht1 will barely make a difference. Most things in the game are Ht2 or more, so you can see em just as well as if you were Ht2. I used to love him for Vendetta because of how he can one shot something on turn 1 pretty easily, but alas, that scheme is gone in GG2017. Given that he can heal himself, hurting himself isn't often that bad. Just reckless and heal every couple of turns instead of double focus. I don't bother with upgrades, although now that Do Over is out that might be worthwhile on him idk.

He's a niche pick, definitely. And I wouldn't overlook the fact he can ignore Ht1 models when shooting into engagements.

Really I find myself going for Raphael more than Rami, although he doesn't really do the same thing.

He's a real solid pick when facing some lists, especially if you see captain dashel with a few guild riflemen. Not only will he almost always kill a rifleman with 1 shot(might have to use some resources on him) he is also self sustaining with his heal and he will outrange most other ranged models in the game, 

Deploy him with good LoS and pick off 1 model per turn without your opponent being able to shoot him back. I almost always pick him if I am up against the guild. (also remember that he likes high rams or standing close to lenny/somer's ram aura)

And killing him with dumb luck isn't all too bad , Red joker cheated in on dumb luck and something explodes; sure you might kill rami. but he will have earned his points back. 

That being said. on boards with loads of buildings blocking off LoS aswell as with new masters/emissaries making blocking terrain I sometimes favour brining a pigapult for some ranged strength(+ it gives you a pretty sweet repositioning) but requires you to either bring or summon pigs to be efficient.

I have had him do pretty well the couple times I have taken him with Somer.  I generally either pick something for him to soften up or kill first turn and if he gets anything else I consider it a bonus.  In one noteworthy game he killed Yamaziko first turn and later did moderate damage with Dumb Luck to Misaki *taking himself out in the process*.  My suggestion is to be really careful about going Reckless.  Only do it if you need that extra AP, such as to double focus to deal with Heavy Cover or to move so you can get your shot.  While he can heal it is not automatic and requires a 6+ to work so unless you are willing to drop a card for it.  I know some like going Reckless, shooting, then using the last AP to heal.  As long as they healed the 1 they get back reckless but if they get moderate they get some back from his trigger but I rarely gamble on this due to needing cards.

Rami is a control piece, who forces your opponent to hide key models and pay close attention to line of site or be exploded off the board.   Where you deploy him turn 1 is the determining factor on how useful he'll be that game.    I you can deploy second, You basically get a free deletion of anything with 8 wounds or less on the opponents side.    I personally prefer to have Lenny along, just so he can reduce some of the dumb luck damage on turn one (and to give out the ram so that Somer can focus on other things, like Masks)   but it's not necessary.

Anywho, Deployment.    When deploying Rami, assuming there's nothing worth killing on the other side of the board, you want to look and see where the "Safe spots" are.   Can your opponent run a cheap minion up the sides unscathed?   Is there one mediumish area that your opponent will put all of his squishes in?  etc.    Once you know where your opponent is naturally going to be drawn, you can start setting up you traps.    Can you drop Pere in the middle of that space?    Can you get somer in position to focus-blast that area?   Can you keep them isolated there wihle you're running schemes?    Rami allows you to take control of the battlefield and say "You're going to go here, or your'e going to lose an important model."

Now, good players will just shrug and accept the loss of a model or two.   Rami is, as you observed, overpriced.    Alternatively, depending on the enemy crew, they may just drop something on Rami's head.   Rami doesn't have anything to deal with engagements.

With other sniper models, like Katanaka snipers, you kind of need to be concerned about where you place your models, but ultimately getting shot once or twice by them isn't going to end a bigger model.    There's nothing quite like forcing your opponent to stone in order to keep their henchman alive on the first activation.   The only other model really capable of that is pigapult, but that's a whole different topic.

Do over isn't a bad upgrade on him, but only if you're running a lot of height 2/3 models.  He already ignores height 1 models when randomizing.   Dirty Cheater is nice to keep him healed so he can focus more often, but only if there's not more competition for it as dirty cheater is a really good upgrade.  If his height 1 really bothers you, you could bring Stilts.    He's also a good holder for show-off, although I wouldn't recommend show off.

He's a very Binary model.   Either he'll completely explode an enemy model or two, and be worth bringing, or he'll do nothing all game and be a complete waste.  Knowing when to bring him out is a skill I haven't mastered yet.  But there's a good model there, if nuanced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 7:40 PM, Eorek said:

He's a real solid pick when facing some lists, especially if you see captain dashel with a few guild riflemen. Not only will he almost always kill a rifleman with 1 shot(might have to use some resources on him) he is also self sustaining with his heal and he will outrange most other ranged models in the game, 

Deploy him with good LoS and pick off 1 model per turn without your opponent being able to shoot him back. I almost always pick him if I am up against the guild. (also remember that he likes high rams or standing close to lenny/somer's ram aura)

And killing him with dumb luck isn't all too bad , Red joker cheated in on dumb luck and something explodes; sure you might kill rami. but he will have earned his points back. 

I can't agree with this more. I played in my first tournament recently and game one had Rami snipe the enemy McCabe first activation. Sever damage took him off his horse, which got me Eliminate the Leadership points first activation!

I haven't really tried him outside of playing Ophelia, seeing as nearly everything in her crew is Ht1 so he can shoot over them. He's great for specific schemes (hunting party, eliminate the leadership, a quick murder, pretty much anything that has killing in it.). Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Lenny reduces the dumb luck damage Rami takes, so I tend to go reckless more often because of it (still kind of new myself, hope this is right.). Lenny and Ophelia also helps to relocate Rami if he needs to change positions is a hurry, though less so with Ophelia since she'll likely be closer to enemies then Rami wants to be. I don't have much else to say, since I also don't have too much experience yet, but I hope this helps. :)