What to do while waiting for TTB2E?

iamthefly

The "Free RPG Day" scenarios are designed as introductions to TtB: in addition to pre-generated characters, they also have basic "quick-start" rules of the game.  Both "Recruitment Drive" and "Sixteen Tons" are available as PDFs at DriveThruRPG.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shadowopal said:

Do the pdf's have the quick start rules? 

I'm not actually sure on that point.... I've got hard-copies of both of them, so I haven't needed to get the PDFs.  If they're 100% identical, they'll have a quick-start version of the game play rules.... but I don't know for sure that they are in fact identical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sernus said:

I'm not actually sure on that point.... I've got hard-copies of both of them, so I haven't needed to get the PDFs.  If they're 100% identical, they'll have a quick-start version of the game play rules.... but I don't know for sure that they are in fact identical. 

I just checked my pdf versions from drivethrurpg. They do not include quick-start rules. Just the adventure and characters.

Will that be a soft release at Gen Con again? It sucks having to wait until October to get them in the UK (I know I'm being whiny and entitled, but I just really like running this game and the delivery costs eat into my gaming budget from the US).

Really excited though. It's loads of fun to run and doesn't require a massive amount of prep work. I ran a session last year where the only goal was for the fated to go and get some Milk from the local store. Dozens of people were killed and half the slums were burned down. I love my fated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NobbyTheKing said:

Potentially silly question... will my Fatemaster Screen be obsolete?

* The screen itself is still a screen, so it's functional and pretty.

* The city map hasn't changed.

* Station Rank tables haven't changed.

* The conversion table for playing card suits to Malifaux suits has not changed.

* Critical Effects Tables have changed (and can be previewed in the A Stitch in Time Quick Play rules).

* The formula used to determine the fate modifiers on damage flips has changed, in that it now matches what Malifaux uses (most people did this anyways, from what I've seen).

24 minutes ago, Mason said:

* The formula used to determine the fate modifiers on damage flips has changed, in that it now matches what Malifaux uses (most people did this anyways, from what I've seen).

I don't mean to be pedantic, but what do you mean by this?
In the quickstart rules, it looks like [-][-] = Tie; [-] = 1-4; Flat = 5-9; [+] = 10+;   where Malifaux (and TtB 1.0) is Tie; 1-5; 6-10; 11+  (At least how our group plays Margins).  
So, this has me concerned on how we've been playing, lol.    I guess a good question would be, does a single Margin in TtB mean your total is 5 or more /or/ more than 5 higher than the TN?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, baggined said:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but what do you mean by this?
In the quickstart rules, it looks like [-][-] = Tie; [-] = 1-4; Flat = 5-9; [+] = 10+;   where Malifaux (and TtB 1.0) is Tie; 1-5; 6-10; 11+  (At least how our group plays Margins).  
So, this has me concerned on how we've been playing, lol.    I guess a good question would be, does a single Margin in TtB mean your total is 5 or more /or/ more than 5 higher than the TN?

In Malifaux, it's as you say:

Tie: :-fate:-fate

1-5: :-fate

6 - 10: No modifier

11+: :+fate

In TTB 1.0, it was based on Margins, which means beating the TN by 5 points. So if the target's TN was 10, you would need one Margin to get to the "No Modifiers" tier. That meant that you had to beat the target's TN by 5 points... i.e., you needed a 15. Similarly, to get a :+fate, you had to have two Margins (i.e., you had to beat the TN by 10 points). This resulted in a chart that looks like this:

Tie: :-fate:-fate

1-4: :-fate

5 - 9: No modifier

10+: :+fate

Essentially, your group was playing it the way that Malifaux works... as was just about everyone else. Hence why we changed it in 2nd edition to just work the way that people thought it did.

The quickstart rules were still using the 1st edition metric (oops), so I swapped them over to the 2nd edition version. This should also make things less confusing for players with Malifaux experience.

• Like 3