Guild Lucius and his Guardsmen

psychogeek123

Necrooooo...

Just wanted to add my 2c as a player new to Guild. We're 1.5 weeks through a Shifting Loyalties campaign, and I'm aiming toward Lucius as my Master, so I started with:

Dashel (Arrest Him)

Sergeant

2 Riflemen

2 Watchers

You can probably imagine I've had some issues so far, with the 4 Guardsmen being a backfield group, everybody essentially supporting the Riflemen, while the Watchers go forward to try and Scheme run. The Riflemen have done great! And the Watchers have even helped a couple of times by sitting next to targets in cover. But Scheme running has been an issue.

Out of all the Schemes I've had the option of in the 3 games I've had so far, Claim Jump and Leave Your Mark always looked the best for my set up. I thought that I'd be able to use the gun line to kick one Marker up to the middle, while the Watchers dropped a second on the centerline and one further away for LYM.

Hasn't worked out that way, since I've found that the Watchers get tarpitted - or even killed - somewhat easily. The Sergeant also isn't all that tough, and once he's down, it means Dashel hd to move forward and leave the Riflemen unprotected/unbuffed.

So that's my experience with a gunline crew so far. Lots of the models have to sit back and aren't much help for Schemes, so I'm looking to expand to two groups.

My first model purchase in Week 2 was a Mounted Guard, and so I'll be looking for him to be a tougher Scheme runner, to back up the Watchers. The next purchase is going to be either more Scheme running, or an out-and-out killer who has Ch 7+, that the Mountie can perhaps drag forwards. I completed a Bounty and got the equipment "Retribution", which means its bearer's Ml damage cannot be prevented or reduced, so I want to get myself a suitable carrier for it :D

So, what do y'all reckon? Here are my options (based on availability of models):

Dr Grimwell, Nurse Heartsbane, Executioner, Witchling Thrall. Maybe Samael? Although he can't go with the Mountie, he has fearsome Ml damage. Same with Ryle - but both are fairly slow.

Grimwell - with Nimble & Unimpeded - could always go Scheming by himself. His damage isn't immense, and he could be fragile, but being a Henchman he could carry Retribution and something else.

The Witchling Thrall would have to have his station changed to Enforcer, which would reduce his usefulness with Lucius later on, but he would be a great model to go forward with the Mountie.

Nurse Heartsbane is an interesting option. Quite versatile as a debuffer.

Any other suggestions? Of course, if I'm just looking for an improvement in Scheme running, for 8-9 Soulstones it might pay better to just get two more Watchers... ;-) 

Cheers!

Two or three guild hounds, they charge with the mounted gaurdsmen, can scheme run, can 0pt focus from Dashel and when you get Lucius they can also push out of combat and then 1pt charge from his issue commands.

They also hit reasonably hard on plus flips from Lucius when they charge especially if Dashel gave them a 0pt focus.

Which gets harsher if queeg sets it up earlier and you've got your scheme marker in place.

Makes them good for taking out glass cannons or just protecting your riflemen.

Or

Path finder, because explosions and trap summoning can weaken a Flank.

• Like 1

I'm not averse to getting my hands on some Hounds, or even a Pathfinder - I think they'd work in quite well. The Hounds especially could take over Scheme running duties.

What about a big melee presence, though? One to carry that Retribution, and perhaps also be able to hitch a ride with the Mountie? Phiona Gage is another possibility. If I just go buy Nellie's crew ;)

Grimwell, executioner, thrall, peacekeeper or Ryle all have their own niche. 

They won't all scheme run as well but they will probably ease the pressure from your watchers. Ryle isn't as slow as your think since he can do his (0) to push away from your riflemen so that's 8" from a single walk turn 1. I'm a fan of the peacekeeper since it is durable, can flurry and shoot. Lucius could walk to force it to shoot and.drag something in, that leaves it with 2ap available for a flurry. Depending on which masters ou will start facing the executioner can also be a godsend, it can't take a beating but masters with defensive triggers will fear it so sending it up with your mountie to kill their master turn one may become an option. It suffera from paying two sd for it's 0 fix though.

• Like 1

The Peacekeeper is an option - I've got one in the bag, and it'd be a great centerpiece to play with. Also has that (0) to destroy opposing Scheme markers, which could be useful. Although, Lucius apparently likes to use those for Secret Assets and Legalese.

Ryle could be amazing with Retribution, especially at this early stage. Lucius can't prompt him at all tho, cause of Ryle's Breach Psychosis, which is a shame. But he could just be a free agent, I guess.

Executioner's (0) Upgrade costing 2 scrip isn't so bad. But if I wanted to take any campaign equipment, he's only got the one slot, so is that (0) pretty much key to making him usable? I can't see myself always getting an opportunity to pony him upfield with the Mountie, especially once that trick has been seen once or twice :D

Not sure what the campaign upgrades do, I'm sure you can find some broken combo. Both boosting his wk and giving him extra ap is a pretty big deal though. If you set it up right that's three attacks from charging and hitting an extra time, it can put a serious dent in most masters. Bonus points if you can munch a couple of theit markers for extra attacks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/02/2017 at 7:31 AM, Corn said:

You can probably get more mileage out of a Witching Thrall with Lucius, although you lose out on the Cavalry Charge.

The Witchling Thrall has Ch8, so it's still good for Cavalry Charge. I'm assuming that since no-one corrected this back when it was posted, that something changed on the Thrall's card? Or maybe that the OP was talking about replacing the Mountie with the Thrall? But that doesn't make sense, right?  :mellow:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I can't figure out why I haven't drafted one in yet! 

I'm also thinking about a Strongarm Suit. He could piggyback a lift upfield, then Leap even deeper and get at backfield stuff.

Mature neph in Nvb should be interesting, I believe they're eligible 

• Like 1