First match

Headhunter,standard dep.

I won against Perdita using Colette.

Second Match:

Extraction,corner dep.

I won against Von Schill using Kaeris.

Third Round...

Guard the stash,Flank Dep.

I lose 4-6 against Reva.Using IronSides.

Ok,it was the first time that I meet Reva,and I've choose the worst scheme to play against it(Dig their grave and show of force),the table was very full of blocking elements but I felt totally helpless.

Reva has killed the Captain on my first turn...he was in cover,out of los...she place the candle or corpse and make 3 melee weapons against it...and it was 18" far to he.

With My master I cannot make dig their graves beacause Reva came with 3 minion that cost 6SS,with armor,DF6,4 wound...and when you killed they...they restore all wounds and attached an upgrade...really?6 Soulstone for all that?

Tuesday in a turn I've make 20 wounds on Hamelin with Toni(ok,with 5 adrenaline is easy),and now I cannot kill a minion because it has armor,high defense and are ever on defensive stance...

I'm a little demoralized but I think that this crew is a little wrong thinked...

A master that make attack 3/4/5 (that choose against what resist ,DF or WP),that probably ignore preventing damage with SS,in mele range at 18"...is terrible...

And a minion da cost 6 SS and when it sit on a object you cannot kill it because is hard...and when it die...not die...

The question is...

Probably I've a tournament in February...

If I suspect that my enemy want to use she...

there are pieces that are good to counter it ?

P.S.I'm a painter first than a pro player...so I buy only models that I want paint...I think that probably I'm not buying the crew of Marcus(or Ramos...)...

I have played Reva a few times with Raspy and Ironsides. Both approach the game differently in how to neutralize Reva.

Raspy - Ice pillars are your friend, have the wendigo as well and you can shut down Reva's LoS to corpse markers making her have to move and not hurting you as much, she will shift a bit more into support but you should be able to control the flow of the game and reduce her influence a little.

Ironsides - The way I looked at playing her here was hyper aggressive backed up by a lot of sturdy M&SU with healing in the crew too. I do like the Arcane Emissary in the crew for the removing of corpse and scheme markers that it brings plus it a really nice model to paint too.

Yes between Kang helping vs undead/constructs and the upgrade that gives all foundry models a 0 action to discard a card and most defensive abilities she can make a resser's life very difficult.  If you suspect Reva you can also give her Thunderous Smash and/or bring the Arcane Emmisary both of which give you methods to clear corpse markers.

Yeah but I think that emissary is always a good choice against undead...

I play Toni,Kaeris and Colette and against Resser is good in all 3 configuration...

anyway more I think about the match that I lose more solutions I found...probably I was scared for the devastating first round which she has done to me,and accomplice the fact that I not know the crew I played badly...

A thing to be careful of is using too much anti-corpse tech. Yes, Reva uses them, and therefore corpse markers limit your movement. But, Vincent St. Clair lets Reva draw cards off you discarding Reva's corpse markers, if Reva runs him.

Mei Feng's anti-Ca aura can be very strong--just keep in mind Reva will likely run at least one decent melee fighter, and Mei Feng can crumple hard to someone with good melee. Not that she can't stand up to it, being a master and a melee fighter, with or without Kang, but Reva runs elite units as well, and I think it can be a less ideal contest.

I think Rasputina and Sandeep are stronger picks. Rasputina has slightly better range and can attack with less risk due to her Ice Pillars--take your shot(s) before throwing up the pillars to make Reva sad. Sandeep can really hamper Reva by doing better damage via plus flip ranged attacks--Reva individually may do better damage, but Sandeep offers consistency via plus flips.

15 minutes ago, benjoewoo said:

I think Rasputina and Sandeep are stronger picks. Rasputina has slightly better range and can attack with less risk due to her Ice Pillars--take your shot(s) before throwing up the pillars to make Reva sad. Sandeep can really hamper Reva by doing better damage via plus flip ranged attacks--Reva individually may do better damage, but Sandeep offers consistency via plus flips.

I couldnt agree more. I am currently trying not to answer Sandeep to every question being asked as he just clicked with me and I am finding I really dont need to run anyone else, even when I am playing around with different crew builds to experiment he and his crew perform incredibly well.

Reva is one of those masters though that can take a couple of games against before you get a bearing on how she plays and affects the state of the board

Most of the Wave 4 masters seem like they were designed to be more or less generalist with a leaning towards something. Sandeep I think just does generalist better than more of them given his summoning and master AP distribution system.

Reva is my normal go to against Arcanists because her Litany upgrade prevents any damage reduction and decaying Aura prevents SS usage, two things Arcanist models commonly utilize. Activation control really hurts Reva, and crews that have good jump in ability can prevent her from setting up an initial attack without some form of retribution. 

Prevent Reva from engaging on her terms, i.e. attacking you first with relative impunity so that you spend AP getting to her, and you'll do relatively well. Her summoning is terrible relative to other Ressers, and you'll do a lot to prevent her from capitalizing on her range mechanic.

32 minutes ago, bertmac said:

How did the captain die so easily he can either stone for prevention or stone/cheat for a mask and push away after 1 attack.

He could not prevent the damage from Revas attacks because she most likely had decaying aura attached.

I don´t know about possible push vectors in this game, maybe his path was blocked?

On 31.1.2017 at 0:26 PM, Fazza92 said:

Yeah but I think that emissary is always a good choice against undead...

I play Toni,Kaeris and Colette and against Resser is good in all 3 configuration...

anyway more I think about the match that I lose more solutions I found...probably I was scared for the devastating first round which she has done to me,and accomplice the fact that I not know the crew I played badly...

But the game doesn`t seem as devastating as you say, you lost with a 2 point difference, that´s not much, isn`t it?

In GG 2017, the scoring mechanics for many of the schemes should generally make for lower differentials, IMO. It's much easier to deny in addition to more difficult to actually score most schemes, as they score once per turn vs. scoring in point clumps (A Line in the Sand scores 2 or 3 VP and can be set up in one activation with few available options to deny vs. Claim Jump which scores 1 VP per Turn and can be denied in full if I have a fast enough model or two).

That being said, a 2 VP difference is still low--I think it's a great performance if you weren't familiar with your opponent's crew mechanics and Reva made a big early play. If Reva can assert a Turn 2 advantage of 2 VP, it's much easier to hold it given general scoring mechanics and her ability to keep you on the back foot with her range.

If we knew more about your table set up and the other 2 schemes, we could give you more pointed commentary and advice. We know it was Guard the Stash on Flank Deployment with Claim Jump, Dig Their Graves, and Show of Force. We're missing Eliminate the Leadership, a suited, and/or a numbered scheme. 

Show of Force isn't bad, but it puts a lot of pressure on you to keep your qualifying models alive against Reva. She is amazing at taking out models with unbalanced defensive stats or those that rely on a form of reduction/prevention, e.g. Reva melts Joss through Armor +2. The Captain only has a Df trigger--Reva can target Wp, which is not only lower than Df for the Captain, but can prevent SS prevention via Decaying Aura. It was a little risky taking Show of Force without corpse removal, out of activation movement tricks, and/or a way to block LoS to the corpse markers.

Dig their Graves I feel is one of the most difficult schemes, for good reason--peons can score it if there's a qualifying scheme marker and they kill a qualifying model. Combined with Claim Jump it can be one of those no win situations in certain scheme pools--i.e. pools where the only non-interactive scheme is Claim Jump itself. 

The Arcane Emissary is a relatively simple solution to the corpse markers, but keep in mind the Carrion Emissary summons mindless zombies, which only count as corpse markers for Reva's crew, and Reva's totems only count as corpse markers for her crew as well.

Playing around the corpse markers will have more of an impact on future success than bringing model based counters. It can be difficult in Guard the Stash, but considering how often you'll be fighting, bring a fight to Reva and she'll need to worry about herself more than concerted attacks with her crew.

Lastly, terrain set ups--make sure you have good variety. Filling 1/2 your board surface area wise with Ht 2 scatter terrain of blocking, non-blocking, etc. variety does less than just using two 4"x4" Ht 3 buildings with no windows. If Reva is taller than all the terrain on your board or wide enough to not care (e.g. a 40mm Ht 7 pillar), then you can never hide from her, and your terrain set up is going to make for a more difficult game. When I see boards that are just four small plateaus at Ht 2 with scatter in between to represent a destroyed town, and the plateaus are basically in the corners of the map, I know Turn 1 Reva is going to sit her butt on higher ground and pretty much never move, because I'll always have LoS--just a question of range, but playing for VP will naturally bring someone within range of her.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 0:23 PM, Tris said:

But the game doesn`t seem as devastating as you say, you lost with a 2 point difference, that´s not much, isn`t it?

Playing against Reva is a lot like playing Dreamer in 1st edition. People don't like the feeling that something is just gonna die and there's very little to be done about it. Which is the first part- get used to something just dying. I think a lot of folks are used to Soulstones, Armor, etc and just taking it on the chin. Can't really do that against her. 

The additional challenge with Reva is it's much harder to hide what you don't want to die. Against 1st ed Dreamer it was easier to "feed" him models due to the more direct range he could hit. Reva has multiple attack vectors and can pretty much put more down as needed. Blocking line of sight and access are way big deals. 

I've played her a few times now and I think a lot of the problem is the mental game. If the game isn't taken to her fast _something_dies every turn. Getting past that sick feeling is the first step to beating her. 

1 hour ago, sinistercats said:

Playing against Reva is a lot like playing Dreamer in 1st edition. People don't like the feeling that something is just gonna die and there's very little to be done about it. Which is the first part- get used to something just dying. I think a lot of folks are used to Soulstones, Armor, etc and just taking it on the chin. Can't really do that against her. 

The additional challenge with Reva is it's much harder to hide what you don't want to die. Against 1st ed Dreamer it was easier to "feed" him models due to the more direct range he could hit. Reva has multiple attack vectors and can pretty much put more down as needed. Blocking line of sight and access are way big deals. 

I've played her a few times now and I think a lot of the problem is the mental game. If the game isn't taken to her fast _something_dies every turn. Getting past that sick feeling is the first step to beating her. 

I've pulled some nasty stuff on @sinistercats with my favorite master, Reva. And yes, I agree - it's all in your head. Accept the fact that I will most likely kill at least a thing a turn, and make sure to try to dictate WHAT I get to kill. Do not rely on Soulstones or armor as an Arcanist, as I will take the necessary upgrades to ignore both if my opponent declares Arcanists.

As someone else said, don't go all out on corpse removal, as I can generate enough to get by and then some. Definitely try to remove a few from a key area you need to be in, but it won't be possible to remove all of them. And take the fight to Reva as fast as possible. Myranda shapeshifting into a Blessed of December is not a bad idea :) I had that happen to me once, and I lost Reva. It was early in my Reva career.

• Like 1