Vehicles and stuff

ScareJester

Let me start out that I love the setting of Malifaux. A massive power struggle, with cosmic horrors lurking in the backgrounds and the chance that your neighbours are nightmares.

But for a little pet project I have brewing in the back of my mind, I want to create a new pursuit that can be used in the regular setting. My pet project involves running a oneshot with this system in a "Mad Max: Fury Road"-esque world. I have a couple of things already figured out, but I think it would be interesting to see a pursuit that is basically a transporter or a getaway driver. Mounted combatant, if you will.

But to figure things out, I need to know what kind of vehicles there are in Malifaux. I know there are blimps, trains, stagecoaches and mechs to be commanded, and horses and... other creatures to ride, but are there motorcycles? Prototype cars? I can't seem to find any info on this, though I can imagine that you don't necessarily need a bike or car if you can ride a modified hunter construct.

Previous thread concerning the automobile:

Edit:  And, as far as motorcycles go, I'm going to point you at the Abyssinia models for The Other Side.

But the big limitation on wheeled vehicles is going to be that -roads- aren't anywhere close to modern concrete and asphalt if they exist in an area yet.  

disclaimer: Current year for Malifaux is 1906.

To follow up concerning motorcycles, and because some of the early motorcycle descriptions read like in-game fiction...

In the real world, steam powered two wheeled vehicles are invented in 1860's and by the 1902 two wheeled petrol-burning motorcycles that existed.  The Wikipedia page has some really nice photos:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_motorcycle#

And, to be honest, Nightmare Edition Lucas McCabe's Wild Ones boxed set style bikes wouldn't be completely unreasonable for a one shot.  

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2016/7/11/monday-preview-the-wild-ones

I'd say that motorcycles, particularly in the "bicycle with an engine" form would fit in nicely.

20 hours ago, solkan said:

I'd say that motorcycles, particularly in the "bicycle with an engine" form would fit in nicely.

2017, the moped is slightly embarrassing to be caught riding as an adult.

1906, the moped is the pinnacle of modern personal transportation. Also, magic.

In more realistic terms, if you're not super wealthy or important in Malifaux, chances are you will never actually ride in a motorized automobile. They would be incredibly expensive to own and maintain, require custom parts, and a fuel supply. Unless you have made your automobile into a specially prepared object to animate through magical means, which would be awesome. 

As for the roads. The first Ford bumped around on dirt roads for quite some time. It was bumpy sure. But that doesn't preclude them from being driven on. Heck, there are towns today that don't have paved roads. People still drive on them. My father-in-law drives his Mercedes sedan on dirt roads around his place and my uncle rides his Harley all over the place.

I think "super wealthy" is an exaggeration, because we've got things like copies of the ad page from Popular Mechanics April 1907 advertising a Curtis two-cylinder motorcycle for $275, or a Merkel of $155.  The same page has new automobiles from $1000 to $4500.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IOADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA492&lpg=PA492&dq=1906+motorcycle+cost&source=bl&ots=knlx2jsDfz&sig=X74n40DdWKXJbi_6JLfUINvrGIY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTkZqsr-rRAhUJ0IMKHakkCi8Q6AEIQzAI#v=onepage&q=1906 motorcycle cost&f=false

3 minutes ago, solkan said:

I think "super wealthy" is an exaggeration, because we've got things like copies of the ad page from Popular Mechanics April 1907 advertising a Curtis two-cylinder motorcycle for $275, or a Merkel of $155.  The same page has new automobiles from $1000 to $4500.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IOADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA492&lpg=PA492&dq=1906+motorcycle+cost&source=bl&ots=knlx2jsDfz&sig=X74n40DdWKXJbi_6JLfUINvrGIY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTkZqsr-rRAhUJ0IMKHakkCi8Q6AEIQzAI#v=onepage&q=1906 motorcycle cost&f=false

Yes... But 200-400 was the average annual salary. So it was quite expensive. Super-wealthy may be overkill. But "not for the common individual" is probably fair. 

45 minutes ago, Shadowopal said:

Yes... But 200-400 was the average annual salary. So it was quite expensive. Super-wealthy may be overkill. But "not for the common individual" is probably fair. 

More along these lines, yeah. I found a scanned report of what people made in wages (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.32106007458745;view=1up;seq=276)

The average daily wage of a laborer in New York in 1900 was $1.51 per day. So based on 261 work days (five day work week, circa 1908), that's $394.11 annual income, before living expenses. 

Well, to be fair, check out the price of a house or a horse around 1906, and then compare that to the average wages.

So I was looking at from the perspective of "reasonable for a character to do, making a moderate to big fuss over" area.  Particularly if they're the sort of character who might read Popular Mechanics or get involved in things that pay better than labourer.  Or crazy enough to build their own...

Either way, not more implausible than a fight with Neverborn or a steam powered automaton.  ;)

• Like 1