"Too drunk to f.. take an action"

Dimitri

Hi chaps again! I went to 2no tournaments this weekend and I had a great time. A lot of collodis and pandoras were terrorising the place but my ultimate lady spoon (mah ticket) and my somer won 2/3 games on Saturday ans 2/3 games on Sunday. As i walk at the scheme pool of the shadow of death, i took a look at brewmaster's card and realised he is perfect!

Fellow gremlins,

Brewmaster may be the ultimate meta choice at the new gg17. He has obey and he doesn't kill models. He also can lead an elite crew. Fingers, trixibelle, burt and gracie! So we can have now a 7models crew with 2 henchmen and 2 enforcers. Declare turn 1 last stand and start the booze party! Brewmaster doesn't even care about upgrades so he just starts his tricks. Aiming for drinking contest is one trick pony but swilling 3 or 2 models per turn is massive cuddle to all these killer enforcers. Frame for murder is a suit.. ok give him some booze, some vodka and let the drinking contest start! Evidence: fingers' specialty. If something doesn't like drinking (not man enough...) then burt and gracie can disipline him. Brewmaster lived his life until now with the mark of "fun master to play" or "lower tier master". Now it is the time he is gonna shine. Plus never underestimate the element of surprise. Everybody has a plan how to fight vs the popular masters. No one even knows how brewmaster pulls out his tricks (or he cannot remember aftet this irresponsible night who drunk a lot..). Make love not war. Drink, dont fight. Bla bla bla. Imagine a nekima that is too drunk to f... take an action. Performers, lilitu, trixibell and obeys can ruin you so burt and gracie work as security.

Ideas???

• Like 4

Litterally my thaughts. So much frame for murder paranoia these days!

+ I wanna see the the faces of the opponents when they realize someone won a tournament with brewy and mah =D

I played fingers, called evidence turn 1 and took the markers while the enemy had to compete at the centerline and couldnt protect them at his deployment (He even helped me doing it by sending a few minis after fingers making him squeel closer to the markers)

I think gremlins might have the best shot of all factions to make last stand work! Literally models like first mate, fingers, brewy and trixie are boss at keeping enemies busy without killing them and staying alive themselves.

Also noone will ever expect you to do this cause most people think Gremlins: 40 models on the table

• Like 3

I had the same thought and gave a couple of tries to good ol' Brewie while beta-testing gg2017. As much as on paper he looks suited for the role, I found myself really struggling though the games I played with him. They were 3 really tough match ups (2 vs Titania and 1 vs Sonia) but what I was really missing was the kind of control I get from other masters. I really liked how @Math Mathonwy (I'm pretty sure he was him) defined brewie in one of the other posts about him, saying that The Brewmaster is a support master on his own, since he's not only capable of helping your crew, but can also give :-fate to all flips up to 3 enemy models (and just cause it might pass under the radar, even prevention flips counts) which is incredible! Without forgetting Binge which I value one of the strongest upgrades in the game. 

So on one side I still think that he can do a good job rocking the house (and I really wish to see him more often since it's such a beautiful concept for a master) but on the other side I never find myself bringing him with me, since I find that I can accomplish way more with masters like Zipp or Somer (which are my go to masters ) which not only buff your crew but also represent a real threat to the enemy. Might be that I have played something like 7-8 games total with him across a year, but form my expirience you either need to be a true MoonShinobi and know all the tricks you need to win, or you're gonna find yourself with an head ache at the end of the match :D 

Hope to see so,e ideas/reports tho, I'm always looking forward for some Boose-News to pump me up enough to give brewie a go ;) 

P.s.

how did you found yourself with Mah in gg2017? As one of the "underdogs" of the faction, she does seem to have some better chances with the changes and I was looking forward to play a game with her to give her a go.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

Without forgetting Binge which I value one of the strongest upgrades in the game

Wait what? What makes you say that? I think is a nice upgrade but not in any way as useful as that, I'm missing something?

2 hours ago, Dimitri said:

He also can lead an elite crew. Fingers, trixibelle, burt and gracie! So we can have now a 7models crew with 2 henchmen and 2 enforcers

I'm always very worried about making elite lists with gremlins, less than 9 activations feels extremely wrong to me because the majority of gremlin models, even elite, are very easy to take down with dedicated effort (it's not like a Hoffman bubble for example), and the Hangover of the Brewmaster can only do so much to aleviate that.

I guess I should try more these sorts of crews but they haven't worked all that well for me in the past.

35 minutes ago, Macumazahn said:

Wait what? What makes you say that? I think is a nice upgrade but not in any way as useful as that, I'm missing something?

I made a statement too big, what I meant was not in the entire malifaux game but among our faction sorry >_< 

about the reason behind  it, it's a really solid long range casting that force your opponent to discard a card and won't get a good trade off of that too (maybe on tomes for certain models, but it's still huge on a large number of models) and, since your hand is such an important resource in the game, it's really frustrating and puts your opponent on a tough choice.

it also allow you to make good use of low masks since it's an easier obey which does not get affected by a black joker flip. Over all a really solid upgrade imo and, seen the effectiveness, the cost (card and stone wise) and the value that you can get,it definetly is a "high priority" upgrade. So if I were to chose among all the upgrades that brew master can equip, binge is my n1 choice :) hope I explained better what I meant, I wrote the post kinda quickly so I overlooked the possible incomprehension :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

it's a really solid long range casting that force your opponent to discard a card and won't get a good trade off of that too

I actually love to give the upgrade to Sammy, to make the most of it while the Brewmaster goes around swilling everything. But I think that, although is good, is pretty much a nuissance to the opponent and that's about it, very rarely will be an actual danger or something to take into consideration.

But for 1 stone that's good enough for sure, and if luck is on your side it's a pain to deal with.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Macumazahn said:

I'm always very worried about making elite lists with gremlins, less than 9 activations feels extremely wrong to me because the majority of gremlin models, even elite, are very easy to take down with dedicated effort (it's not like a Hoffman bubble for example), and the Hangover of the Brewmaster can only do so much to aleviate that.

I guess I should try more these sorts of crews but they haven't worked all that well for me in the past.

Sorry couldn't split the quote on phone! About this I would say that with gremlins, it's hard to talk about elite crews, when you can bring a bunch of enforcers/henchmans and still manage to get to 10 activations by simply deploying 3-4 stuffed piglets. I think that elite crew especially with gg2017 got "toned down" since the schemes put you in the situation to be really flexible about what to do, and a larger number of activations allows you exactly to do that. On the other hand tho, a pure elite crew has the good side of having fewer and generally more solid models, so that you can focus more without having to take in count what every one of your 10 models have to do, putting your trust in the fact that you sacrificed number over "efficiency ". 

Me, I'm on your side tho, in the fact that I don't like to play elite crews and always prefer to have something in between (let's say the "green-sweet spot"), since I really like to outmaneuver my opponent to get points, rather then simply having a tougher crew (even with Somer, I never go full summoning or full elite, although I must say the latter is really fun to try out). 

I cannot do proper B.R. because my English is poor but i will say the moments it mattered somehow.

So Saturday event: single master 100ss pool. The games 50ss. I took only 50ss with me so the same crew in every game.

Mah (know the terrain)(dirty cheater)

Cranky

Trixie

Gracie

Burt (dirty cheater)

Slop hauler

Piglet

Bayou

Bayou

47ss/+3 cashe

Round1

Close Delpoyment

Headhunter

Claim Jump

Dig their graves

Covert breakthrough 

Search the ruins

My opponent veigly had Shen, the dragon emissary, one peon totem monk, tow of the defensive monks, one monk who leaps, the new oni rider who flies, and i cannot remember what else but these models were the "main" models.

I took: frame for murder on burt and covert breakthrough 

He took: claim jump and frame for murder on the bird-horse/rider oni thing

The terrain had scatter severe and a huge blocking impassable climbamble structure.

I deployed first and went back, like standard deployment but in a more loose way. He deployed in a similar way.

Mah turn one, flips :mask on initiative. Discards a card and pushes in a good spot. She pushes trixie, one bayou and the piglet in better positions. Trixie lures burt and the slop hauler. Gracie walkes just 8" and i dont even try to reactivate her. He brings his dragon in the one flank and his master is on the central piece of terrain. The bird-horse rider in my face and his defensive monks with the dragon. The one jumping monk fights with one bayou and killes it. Burt and gracie kill the dragon turn 2. Piglet is breaking Shen's balls. Mak killed one defensive monk and the jumping monk. And focused hard the flying rider. The oni flying rider kills burt turn 4 and my slop hauler kills him. So 1vp each for frame for murder. Everything else was a casualty from my side. Trixie before died pushed back shen once with stone for slow. Mah used her push twice on friendly models and i picked 2 heads that way. Gracie took another one with reactivate. My opponent took two heads and 1vp from claim jump because i killed his schemerunners after that with mah. Final score 7-4, win for me. Good game but we played only until turn 4 unfortunately. 

Round2

Standard deployment 

Stake a claim

Claim jump

Leave your mark

Accuisation

Hunting party

Inspection

My opponent veigly had reworked lucius, 2 reworked austringers, 2 silurids, the neverborn rider with retribution's eye and a doppelganger

The terrain classic wild west mdf buildings. 

I took: accusation and hunting party

He took: leave your mark and hunting party

Generally in this game i got outplayed as a person. He made me play at the center of the board and one of his silurids survived and went scheme crazy. The silurid scored the strat 3-0. His rider did the hunting party easy and gracie did mine hunting party easy. Trixie and burt killed the rider. Mah killed the doppelganger and was fighting with lucius. Pretty bad topcarding from both of us for 2 rounds. Lucius escapes mah and she kills doppelganger that time. Then lucius did 1 leave your mark. His last one. The silurid and doppelganger did the other 2. So he scored 3vp for leave your mark. I did a pretty easy 2 Accuisation vp on lucius and then he denied the other because he walked away late in the turn with a good card in hand, he took the terrifying check, he walked again, he took off the accuse and he dropped a scheme marker. Final score 5-9 loss for me. Good game, pretty strong opponent player and we played all 5 rounds. I shouldn't eat the trap and go at the center because only the rider was there and i could just deny him with trixie or send mah in his face to keep him bussy.

Round3

corner deployment 

Squatter's rights 

Claim jump

Dig their graves

Leave your mark 

Show of force

Recover evidence 

The terrain was the plasticraft circus.

My opponent veigly had toninironsides with the upgrade for :+fate on initiative, misstep, one acolyte,  one ss miner, the 3headed cat and 2 molemen and a performer or something other of similar nature  (squeezy support).

I flip rams on initiative and push mah as close as possible but behind random area of scatter terrain. Sibertooth does a leap close to her and hides. When i activated mah i walked once and charges the cerberuscat with really good cards in hand and stoned for extra rams and killed him. Toni lured mah and after the turn 2 of ironsides has 3wd left. I stoned all hits because she fliped mostly moderates. Mah after that charges the performer and deletes her. Mah cheats a lot and heals 7wd in 2 rounds. Then mah kills the 2 molemen i later turns. I scored for the molemen because i situationally used gracie as a scheme runner for a turn. She reactivated and droped 3 scheme markers. 2 for dig their graves and 1 for claim jump. Meanwile trixie and the bayous popped up 3 S.R. markers. My opponent popped up 2 S.R. markers. So we tied the strat for the rest of the game. She sent misstep to break the balls of my gremlins and burt started fighting misstep and they stayed there after mutual bad topdecking from both sides. Gracie with cranky scored 1 claim jump. The acolyte scored one with the miner. 2-1 for me at the D.T.G.. She scored really late 1vp for leave your mark because my piglet denied it for 2 turns. Trixie scored last turn claim jump by herself with recless and gave slow 1 time to misstep with stone. Gracie and cranky scored another 1vp for that. We played only 4 rounds but to be honest if we played a fifth one my opponent was going to score leave your mark and i couldn't score something else. Final score 6-4 win for me. Could be really difficult game but diving charge won this game. Ironsides couldn't lock down mah and mah danced the dance of death.

Really enjoyed all 3 games. Mah did really well and could better. I used Mah on Sunday enent in one game but i don't have written the scemes down and don't have any notes. I played vs collodi with fated and whatever you can imagine plus nekima. I got outplayed as a person again and nekima killed mah. Collodi killed burt and i took full 3vp for frame for murder. I also scored claim jump once. We played all 5 turns. Really quick game. I lost it more or less turn 2. 4-10 loss. I won the other 2 rounds with somer. Really good games as well.

• Like 3

I think there's a bit of a tendency to overstate the difference in power between the accepted "good" models and the "bad" models. I know I've been part of that group before, but with things like Joel having great success with Taxidermists, it's pretty clear that some of those assumptions might be a bit knee-jerky. I've always been a fan of Mah but I am kind of a Som'er addict - I both love him and do well with him so I keep playing him and it's a sort of self fulfilling prophecy where I don't get better at other masters. I'd like to get really good at Mah and then compare her when I'm more experienced.

On the original topic - I took Brewmaster out for his first gg2017 spin last night. The strat was Headhunter and so I went for my standard killy-brewmaster type list with Lenny, a bunch of Bayou Gremlins, plus Fingers to pick up heads and The First Mate for Claim Jump. I ended up going up against Kirai who I still really have no idea how to deal with. I managed to mess Izamu about a ton and I was actually pretty handily controlling the game for a while. The two things that screwed me over were the fact my opponent had a ton of incorporeal models, so when I had dropped my two Claim Jump markers, a Hanged double walked from way further than I counted on to deny it. I think my initial kneejerk of Claim Jump being the easiest scheme in the pool for Gremlins might have been a little bit hasty, but I do think it's a lot more doable than its ancestors. The other thing that screwed me was a Wesley Binge on a Swilled Izamu had my opponent discard a Mask. I had already put up the drinking contest with Brewie, so I decided to have Izamu walk over into it... Of course I had totally forgotten about Izamu having Ruthless, so he kind of went murdery.

I was doing very nicely with control, I think this was actually a case where I might have wanted to be more aggressive about getting the Drinking Contest going. I usually only use it as a defense because Brewie is otherwise pretty long range.

It also occurs to me that I probably should have saved some stones and Obeyed Izamu to fail an attack against Brewie to place him in his deployment zone.

• Like 1

About kirai i want to say that i faced her with somer at the Sunday tournament. A very good player was handling her. And i read her card there. First time i saw her. My tactics were just to break her balls. Turn 1 somer summons 2 bayou walks 5. Trixie reckless walks pulls burt and slop. Turn 2 somer provires rams and walko focus shoot at kirai. All gremlins shoot at kirai and the shikomes. I won 6-4 in head hunter game. Trixie slowed philip 2 tikes and denied undercover entourage (he scored only 1vp) burt and gracie as always in the flank destroying any scheme potential. He also scored 0vp for leave your mark. I think you had bad machup dogmata.. brewie will be great imo against filthy neverborn

With Brewmaster I have Fingers with Wesley, Fingers gets Drinking "Problem."  I've been wanting to throw First Mate in (I can't stand Trixiebelle).  His push is much better for a Brewmaster crew than Trixie's since it's in any direction.  Probably a lot easier to get models into the contest.  I also tend to bring around the Whiskey Golem with his new upgrade.  Keep him near Fingers and he heals a Hell of a lot thanks to Drinking "Problem."

Other models tend to be cheaper to give me some activation control and help moving models around if I have the option.  A performer works well once in a while, but I'm not great at spreading a ton of poison around (I focus too much on Brewmaster just giving stuff Hangover), so the performer doesn't tend to do a lot when it comes time to rip out that poison.

I've tried the Akaname once, and plan to give them a better test once the box is available and I come back to gremlins.  What other models do people tend to use to help spread that poison around?  I'm typically only doing it with Fingers, Brewmaster, and sometimes Whiskey Golem.  Gotta be someone else I'm missing to help get it stacked faster.

10 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

I've tried the Akaname once, and plan to give them a better test once the box is available and I come back to gremlins.  What other models do people tend to use to help spread that poison around?  I'm typically only doing it with Fingers, Brewmaster, and sometimes Whiskey Golem.  Gotta be someone else I'm missing to help get it stacked faster.

Trixie can be pretty good! ;) 

(But really, I think that focusing on Poison is a very bad idea with Brewy)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I think there's a bit of a tendency to overstate the difference in power between the accepted "good" models and the "bad" models. I know I've been part of that group before, but with things like Joel having great success with Taxidermists, it's pretty clear that some of those assumptions might be a bit knee-jerky. I've always been a fan of Mah but I am kind of a Som'er addict - I both love him and do well with him so I keep playing him and it's a sort of self fulfilling prophecy where I don't get better at other masters. I'd like to get really good at Mah and then compare her when I'm more experienced.

On the original topic - I took Brewmaster out for his first gg2017 spin last night. The strat was Headhunter and so I went for my standard killy-brewmaster type list with Lenny, a bunch of Bayou Gremlins, plus Fingers to pick up heads and The First Mate for Claim Jump. I ended up going up against Kirai who I still really have no idea how to deal with. I managed to mess Izamu about a ton and I was actually pretty handily controlling the game for a while. The two things that screwed me over were the fact my opponent had a ton of incorporeal models, so when I had dropped my two Claim Jump markers, a Hanged double walked from way further than I counted on to deny it. I think my initial kneejerk of Claim Jump being the easiest scheme in the pool for Gremlins might have been a little bit hasty, but I do think it's a lot more doable than its ancestors. The other thing that screwed me was a Wesley Binge on a Swilled Izamu had my opponent discard a Mask. I had already put up the drinking contest with Brewie, so I decided to have Izamu walk over into it... Of course I had totally forgotten about Izamu having Ruthless, so he kind of went murdery.

I was doing very nicely with control, I think this was actually a case where I might have wanted to be more aggressive about getting the Drinking Contest going. I usually only use it as a defense because Brewie is otherwise pretty long range.

It also occurs to me that I probably should have saved some stones and Obeyed Izamu to fail an attack against Brewie to place him in his deployment zone.

I think that with brewie the best chance for you is to play out as thematic as possible vs a kirai. Models have low statistics and wounds because of summoning and the crew itself is pretty slow. This give you enough time to set up as you planned to. Against kirai I generally go for points, and go for a kill the moment he over extend someone of his pieces, otherwise I just don't bother. I find pulses are great against them, cause even if he wants do deny it, he's still gonna need that seishin to die which goes to your favor. I must say the kirai s against i played weren't that experienced, but I was playing brewie and won without too much stress :) I just focused brewie on binge w/ Wesley backing it up.

5 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Trixie can be pretty good! ;)

(But really, I think that focusing on Poison is a very bad idea with Brewy)

I've just never liked Trixie.  I've tried a few times, and it's not like she doesn't do well, for me necessarily, I just have other models I prefer.

And I know focusing on the poison and contest isn't the most useful strategy, but I have fun doing it, and I haven't been able to get him working well in any other team build, so I might as well do what I enjoy.  It's why I ignored everyone saying Mah was trash and turned her into one of my favorite gremlin masters.

@Four_N_Six trixie is a nice-butt girl with a nice rich bust. She is offering IMO 2 great aspects that can never be replaced. Gremlin lure and Ill omens. I will speak first for ill omens. You always have a beater. Gremlin beaters die easy. If you go with them, cheat initiative and go again then they survive. In a brew master crew you want to go first at the vital turn (2 or 3) to give swill in three models or double swill to master/henchman. Gremlin lure can give you hit&run potential and disable the tank you cannot kill, give slow to a master is badass, reckless and scheme running is handy. She is fast she has scheme shenanigans and she is also henchman. So for a stone you make this annoying model slow and push it back.. i feel why you dont like her but she is a lovely lady and we should encourage her use as everyone hates to see her. Finally she is super cheap in a cheap faction. No offence man i just love her and wanted to defend her!

I completely understand, but I don't put that much value into Ill Omens.  Especially not that many stones, because when it comes to the push, I prefer the First Mate.

Ill Omens can be good in vital situations.  But to be honest, I've never been in a situation where I've been completely screwed by not activating first.  I keep a soul stone and a high card of the proper suit with Brewmaster, so if I do lose initiative on a big turn, I have the tools to get his defensive trigger off and then the initiative part isn't an issue.  It can save big beaters, and ours do tend to die under focused fire, but I do just as well keeping them well enough protected until I know they're good to go in defenseless.

I know people love her lure, but the First Mate has one that I consider better when regarding enemy models.  Can't be used on your own, so I will relent to that fact, but against enemies his is much better.  It's a flat 6" push rather than being based on the enemy model, and (more importantly) it's in any direction.  So I can push an enemy sideways toward Brewmaster if I want.  He is also a Henchman, which means he can use a soul stone for the suit he needs.  He also has the exact same slow trigger on his push that Trixie does.  On top of that, it has a built in mask with two triggers for when you need them.  One lets him keep his camouflage after activating which is great against some crews.  The other lets him trash a scheme marker within 3".  If you have his upgrade on, that adds up to a lot of armor if you want it to.  Something that's pretty likely given GG2017.

I get that she has her uses, and I know some people just love her and have to use her, I've just found better options.  Plus I painted the First Mate like Kiff, so I automatically prefer him.

• Like 1