Initiative Stone Usage Timing

Goopy

Question

Has Wyrd come out with a definitive FAQ or something on the order of soulstone use and card flip timing on initiative. 

The two camps are "starting with the lower number, you both elect to spend a stone to reflip and then reflip at the same time" 

"starting with the lower number, player spends a stone and reflips, after seeing the opponents reflip, the original higher number may choose to stone and reflip" 

I understand the arguments for both sides. Please let me know how you play, think, and if there is an Official Wyrd Clarification. 

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I asked this many moons ago, and solkan's answer was more than satisfactory for me, that is you spend a stone, reflip and then the original winner can choose to spend a stone or not:

The main thing that changed my mind was this "As far as I can tell, in order to claim interpretation #2 (both players have to decide before any cards are flipped), there's the counter argument that the rules instruct you to spend the soulstone to flip the card and then neither player ever flips a card because the rules don't tell to flip them."

I agree with Dogmantra agreeing with my previous post.  ^_^  If you decide to reflip, you spend the soulstone and reflip right then.  Because the rules don't tell you to wait and do it together; and for there to be special delayed timing the rules have to say so.

Because I keep forgetting I have it, here's part of what the 1.5 rules manual says:

If the Fate Card values are not tied, the player with the lowest Fate Card has the option to discard a Soulstone and re-flip the Fate Card.  Once that player has made and acted on the choice to re-flip, the opponent with the next lowest total may then choose to discard a Soulstone and re-flip.  The order to discard a Soulstone to re-flip the Fate Card is resolved in order from the player with the lowest Fate Card value to the player with the highest Fate Card value, until all players have had the option to re-flip.

That's the 1.5E wording that got rephrased into the 2E wording:

Beginning with the player who has the lowest value card each player may elect to reflip her card (or cards) by spending a Soulstone from her Soulstone pool, even if one or more players flipped a Joker.

That looks more like someone trying to describe the same process in fewer words to me.  And that would be a terrible way of trying to tell someone who had played 1.5 to do something different.

As far as i understand, the person losing the initiative can decide first if they want to use a stone to re-flip. After that occurs, the other player can then decide if he wants to do the same. After both have had the chance to re-flip, both players have to take the final result.