iOS friendly Into the Steam and Under Quarantine

-Loki-

Turns out it was just DriveThruRPG not liking me downloading them directly to my iPad. Once synced via my PC they work fine. So problem solved.

There is another issue. If I view them in Acrobat, pages take upwards of 10 seconds to load. This makes flipping through pages very time consuming. If I use any other reader, the pages load much faster but some images don't work, like backgrounds for box outs, which makes some text incredibly hard to read. Does anyone know a PDF reader for iDevices that solve the issue with images not loading properly but also doesn't take ages to load each page like Acrobat?

5 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Turns out it was just DriveThruRPG not liking me downloading them directly to my iPad. Once synced via my PC they work fine. So problem solved.

Could you please give me an idea of what the problem was with DriveThruRPG ? I have the same problem in that I am using an iPad with IOS 10.2 but when downloading I frequently get square chunks of pages either missing/coming out as black or a different shade from the rest of the page...however I have no PC to sync to.

58 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

Could you please give me an idea of what the problem was with DriveThruRPG ? I have the same problem in that I am using an iPad with IOS 10.2 but when downloading I frequently get square chunks of pages either missing/coming out as black or a different shade from the rest of the page...however I have no PC to sync to.

It would shift to another tab in Safari like usual, downloading the PDF. Server would either time out or it would finish downloading then say the file was bad and restart.

All other PDFs download fine, but Under Quarantine and Inti the Steam always did that.

All of the PDFs, including Chronicles, always have issues with layers for me on my iPhone or iPad. Backgrounds only half loading, box out backgrounds not showing up or only partly, images flat out not loading.

The only way I can get them to display is in Acrobat Reader for iOS, but like I said earlier pages take upwards of 10-15 seconds to load which just isn't worth it.

Pretty sure it's simply a memory thing. They export these PDFs at really high quality which is fine on PC but seems iOS devices don't like that high quality.

Thanks Loki...you have precisely described the problems I have...I will just have to accept it as an IOS problem then I guess as that is all I have...it means ultimately that anything I really need like rule books will have to be a physical copy....hopefully someone will come up with a PDF reader for IOS devices like you say

Hmmm.... interesting.  I've got both of them successfully downloaded into iBooks on my iPad Air running iOS 10.2; the only problem I'm regularly seeing is the call-out box background colors not loading.  

I have a couple of other reader apps that'll pull up PDFs, maybe I should do some experimenting....

@Mason However you exported Into the Bayou fixed every single iOS issue I have raised in here. All backgrounds and images load properly, there's no loading between pages. It is simply fantastic.

Now what are the chances to go back and re-export Into the Steam and Under Quarantine? (The Core books are getting replaced soon, so I'd assume they would be the same export settings)

2 hours ago, -Loki- said:

@Mason However you exported Into the Bayou fixed every single iOS issue I have raised in here. All backgrounds and images load properly, there's no loading between pages. It is simply fantastic.

Now what are the chances to go back and re-export Into the Steam and Under Quarantine? (The Core books are getting replaced soon, so I'd assume they would be the same export settings)

I'll pass it down the line!

Goodreader is one of the apps that I have in my iPad toolbox, but it displays the same problem with the callout box dark background color not loading properly that is seen in iBooks.

Interestingly, I have a PDF version of the Malifaux "Ripples of Fate" supplement, and get none of the problems with callout box / dark backgrounds not loading when I open it in iBooks.... this does seem to point toward some sort of a variable in the export settings as the likely factor.