Molly and University of Transmortis....filling out the crew

kryp2knightkid

I would like to run Molly with the University. I am thinking of hiring the University right away and then using her, "Ones Left Behind" Upgrade cast to summon......something. This is what I am asking for assistance with. I was thinking Zombie Punks, Belles, or Draugr. Also, I like Archie alittle better than Philip & Nanny. Suggestions? 

• Like 1

Belles and punks actually might make more sense out of the gate with the students guest starring as needed.  They're highly specific about their preferred prey.  A few belles, a few punks, and some crooligans for scheming.

Related.  Like the Valedictorian?  She can do good work with Molly helping her along.

Dead doxies are surprisingly good and if you're not starting with them they may be worth summoning for final encore.
Drowned are a cheeky marker drop aswell but can also give you the hazardous terrain block with Jaakuna, crooked men and Ama.
If you don't mind the fluff Toshiro is awesome if your concentrating on 6-7ss minions.
Sybelle certainly seems to have a lot of utility with Molly - Mortimer could also increase mobility with "fresh meat" but is otherwise sub par since you don't need the corpses he generates unless you want to start rigging corpse bombs.

• Like 1

Students can be either exactly what you need, or overpriced garbage. You never really know what type of enemy models you'll be up against, but the ability to bring in whatever tech you need, is one of Horror Molly's biggest strengths, by far.

For example, if your opponent says he's playing Arcanists, his crew could either be very Armour heavy with almost no Living models, perhaps a construct-based list, or have an entire Living crew which completely lacks Armour, such as a Beast or Academic based lists. In the first case, the Student of Steel will be fantastic while the Student of Viscera will be useless, while in the second case, it's vice versa. The same is true against Resseructionists - will he bring spirits or undead? Again, either the Student of Sinew is a great choice or a terrible one, and you won't know until he reveals his crew, so it's better to summon them. 

Everyone will tell you that Punk Zombies are good, and they're all right. Their attacks are good, they're reasonably resilient and they are not card intensive (:+fate's on their attacks). Even so, these guys share one trait with Students in that they're both slow and relatively expensive, so they waste a lot of their AP and your SS by slowing walking around when you hire them. Instead, summon them in against 'generic' enemies that aren't heavily countered by one of the Students. If you can get it close to 2 or more enemies, they'll get enough wounds to make their Hard to Kill worthwhile; this is one of their strongest abilities.

Valedictorian can be very good with Molly. She's already a painful model for your opponent, so when she gets Black Blood added for free, it's even more horrible to face. Molly's limited upgrade can offer her a free (1) AP action, which does a lot for her. She can fly 6" during Molly's activation, then chain activate when Molly's done and begin Flurrying. With a damage track of 2/3/6, Focusing is also an appealing choice. The free (1) action to Focus before Walking and then attacking is very welcome. I've also heard good things about Archie with Molly so you might want to give him a spin. He would probably replace The Valedictorian as they're both quite expensive and you can only offer the (1) free action once per turn anyway. 

My observations with Philip is that he is superb if the schemes are scheme marker or interact heavy, and still decent if otherwise. If you lend him Molly's (0) he can give you some cards or set up Chatty without losing Manipulative, which is always nice. I like to give him some scheme marker placement support to get cards flowing in the early game. My choice is a Doxy, which can lay 2 markers per turn while also moving Philip up to 8" with her (0), so that he's not left behind as you move up.

All of this is opinion-based of course, so feel free to test things for yourself to see where your preferences lie.

14 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

If you don't mind the fluff Toshiro is awesome if your concentrating on 6-7ss minions.

Or if you don't mind the Black Blood! He can get hurt pretty bad when all his friends around him keep getting hit, since Molly doesn't lend this ability to him. This happens to Sybelle too, as for some reason she isn't a Belle herself. 

The fact Molly doesn't give Non Belles + Horrors/Spirits Black Blood, nor can she lend them her (0), slightly waters down the incentives to hire some of them. 

Sybelle and Toshiro are still great force multipliers even with the above applying, and can still be the correct choices, but the player needs to keep these limitations in mind during hiring and playing. 

5 hours ago, hydranixx said:

For example, if your opponent says he's playing Arcanists, his crew could either be very Armour heavy with almost no Living models, perhaps a construct-based list, or have an entire Living crew which completely lacks Armour, such as a Beast or Academic based lists. In the first case, the Student of Steel will be fantastic while the Student of Viscera will be useless, while in the second case, it's vice versa. The same is true against Resseructionists - will he bring spirits or undead? Again, either the Student of Sinew is a great choice or a terrible one, and you won't know until he reveals his crew, so it's better to summon them. 

I would say over-costed rather than "useless" or "terrible".

They will certainly loose their utility via terrifying and their trigger but they can still remove triggers, hand out reasonable damage, flurry and have some staying power with armour and hard to wound.

But as they will be over costed if selected against the wrong crew they probably won't match up against their counter parts the zombie punk and the shikome.

Let's not even get into the hanged...

• Like 3

Of the various Non-valedictorian students, I would say that Viscera is the pick of the litter.  He's faster then the other two (spd 5!  woo ressers!) and his Slither ability is good for getting across weird terrain and the like.  I've used him for back field support murder and random scheming when it's called for it, and not been disappointed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

They will certainly loose their utility via terrifying and their trigger but they can still remove triggers, hand out reasonable damage, flurry and have some staying power with armour and hard to wound.

But as they will be over costed if selected against the wrong crew they probably won't match up against their counter parts the zombie punk and the shikome.

Well, perhaps more forgiving terms are in order, over-costed does describe it better. 

Anytime you would consider hiring one of them, it's probably worth checking if you're not better off spending more and taking Valedictorian outright. 

14 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

"Overcosted" doesn't quite capture it.  I think of them as "priced to summon".  Shikome are one of the more extreme cases of this.  Their defense is more on par with a 5-6 ss Resser minion, so they are way too squishy to hire for 8ss, but if they were 6-7 they would be much too easy to summon, lob at your enemy and then not worry if they died.  

5 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Well, perhaps more forgiving terms are in order, over-costed does describe it better. 

Anytime you would consider hiring one of them, it's probably worth checking if you're not better off spending more and taking Valedictorian outright. 

Which is why of the University, the Valedictorian is who I hire. The others depend on many other things (including expectation of opponent's crew), but will typically continue resting in their foam tray.