"Regret" vs Triggers

Bazlord_Prime

Question

The "Regret" defensive trigger on both Zoraida and Sammy LaCroix states "After inflicting moderate or severe damage on this model, end the Attacker's Activation".

Would that be an immediate end to the activation, preventing any offensive triggers from resolving? From what i understand, if opposing triggers are meant to happen at about the same time, the Defensive one goes first.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, LogsMOLE said:

So what happens if Zoraida or Sammy uses a stone for damage prevention when the Regret trigger is applicable?

Let's assume for this question that the prevention lowers the damage what would be considered below Moderate for the opposing model.

It has to end up being two parts

• Moderate or Severe damage was flipped
  • Damage was inflicted (i.e., not reduced to 0)

to satisfy the trigger.  Prevention doesn't change what was flipped, any more than damage bonuses do.

9 hours ago, LogsMOLE said:

So what happens if Zoraida or Sammy uses a stone for damage prevention when the Regret trigger is applicable?

Let's assume for this question that the prevention lowers the damage what would be considered below Moderate for the opposing model.

Prevention doesn't change damage severity, unless you prevent fully in which case there's no damage to talk about. Moderate damage is Moderate, whether it does 2 wounds or 2 minus 1 wound.

16 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

The "Regret" defensive trigger on both Zoraida and Sammy LaCroix states "After inflicting moderate or severe damage on this model, end the Attacker's Activation".

Would that be an immediate end to the activation, preventing any offensive triggers from resolving? From what i understand, if opposing triggers are meant to happen at about the same time, the Defensive one goes first.

Thanks!

From the FAQ:

48) If a model’s Activation is ended by an Action or an Ability, what happens? What if it was not Activating? If a model is performing its Activation and its Activation is ended by an Action or Ability, then the model’s Activation immediately ends. It may not take any further Actions, resolve any of its Triggers which have not happened yet (even if they were declared), or do anything else that happens during its Activation; it moves to the end Activation step. If an Action or Ability which ends a model’s Activation is applied to a model outside of its Activation (such as during an Action caused by Obey) there is no effect.

So, yeah, it's an immediate end the activation, and prevents any pending offensive triggers from resolving.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons why defensive triggers go first.

Edited by solkan
Slight correction concerning triggers
  • Like 2

It wouldn't prevent all offensive triggers. For example Critical Strike would still happen, anything that modifies the damage track would happen etc.

But yeah it would prevent any after resolving/succeeding/damaging triggers imo. We know that if a model's activation ends during an action, triggers or additional actions are cancelled. The issue becomes when Regret takes place.

The way I see it there are two potential times for it to resolve:

1. Immediately after applying damage. Damage is assigned during step 5 of an action. Therefore, Regret would happen immediately after this and cancel the Attacker's activation.
  2. OR you could make an argument for it being a variant of "after damaging" (just like how "after suffering damage" is unclear if it happens during or after step 5), which happens after step 5, BUT would have the same timing as any other After Resolving/Succeeding/Damaging triggers and the defender's trigger would go first, so the Attacker's activation is cancelled before they get to use their trigger.

Personally I buy option 1. I think that after suffering damage type triggers happen during step 5 because after damaging is a construction specifically called out as having a special timing, but suffering damage is not the same thing. However I wrote out option 2 because even if you don't find that argument convincing, it would have the same outcome in the case of Regret.

• Like 2