Rasputina competitively

Zombie

Hello all and especially Rasputina experts! I've been dabbling myself in resurrectionists for year and I've been itching to try Rasputina as I usually enjoy somewhat full gunline type armies/crews etc. I'm pondering how viable raspy is for all schemes and could she be played exclusively for all the strats/schemes in way that you won't deliberately shoot yourself in a leg with that choice? I'm testing her out this thursday/friday and I immediately managed to flip beforehand headhunter for both games. What should I bring for that strategy? I'm pondering spamming silent ones so I won't get smashed if I face full melee enemy crew. All tips are welcome :)

My first idea was to bring two december acolytes, wendigo, raspy, snowstorm, mechanical rider and ice dancer (schemes are Leave Your Mark, Accusation!, Undercover Entourage,Tail 'em and the usual Claim Jump; deployment is standard) for some board control and mechanical rider can do the usual scheme running while ice dancer can do that too or pick up heads hopefully.

I think Frozen hearted has a wide enough range of models to try just about anything. Ice Dancers, Wendigo and Blessed of December are all good scheme running models, especially wiht help from models liek Snowstorm. Obviously, once you allow yourself into the rest of the arcanist faction, they have tools to do everything. 

headhunter isn't the easiest with Raspy but Ice Dancers can get it done. For me, Raspy is a choice based on faction my opponent is playing and board. I will take her into Ressers and Gremlins a lot. Also I will chose her if the board has a lot of choke points I can take advantage of with ice pillars.  Generally she does really well with Extraction, Collect the Bounty and Reckoning. She doesn't really do as well with Interference, Stake a Claim or Squatter's Rights. Now that doesn't mean she can't do them. You can accomplish lots of things if your opponent can't get to you or the markers, but that's trickier to do. Raspy is pretty killy but not as much as you'd think. She relies heavily on her blasts to do lots of damage. I prefer to use her as more of a threat than I actually do much killing. Opponents are so scared of her potential they will spread themselves thin allowing you to control the board. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's worth noting that nearly every master-crew combo in the game has the 'shoot yourself in the foot' match up of strats-scheme-enemy.

Having said that Raspy can play Gamin and Golem and bring smash face as easily as she can gunline.  While this is tougher to run it is a powerful and valid combo for certain games.

Raspy can function in any game, she is good because of her simplicity, she is always useful in games even if only as a threat/area denial model and even her pure theme 'Frozen Heart' models are generally excellent and have enough variety to work nearly any strat/scheme pool effectively (if not optimally).

Dec Acolyte is superb.

Silent Ones are excellent models with a heal.

Ice Dancers are scheme runners of excellent quality.

Snow Storm is superb at shoring up a Raspy couple of weakness (counter shooting and low mobility).

Wendigo is a cheap and excellent meaningful model not to mention a surprisingly deadly totem.

Golem is big, slow, durable and if he gets somewhere your opponent needs to be then he ends anything he can get in his icy grip.

Gamin are solid, I think the best of the Gamin, fast enough (faster still with the Golem chucking them around) to scheme, surprisingly dangerous especially with their little death sting detonate and durable for cost.

And that is just the classic Raspy Frozen Heart core, when you branch out to other faction and merc models, she can compete anytime and always.  But that is different to dominate everywhere and every game......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 10:50 AM, Mrbedlam said:

headhunter isn't the easiest with Raspy but Ice Dancers can get it done. For me, Raspy is a choice based on faction my opponent is playing and board. I will take her into Ressers and Gremlins a lot. Also I will chose her if the board has a lot of choke points I can take advantage of with ice pillars.  Generally she does really well with Extraction, Collect the Bounty and Reckoning. She doesn't really do as well with Interference, Stake a Claim or Squatter's Rights. Now that doesn't mean she can't do them. You can accomplish lots of things if your opponent can't get to you or the markers, but that's trickier to do. Raspy is pretty killy but not as much as you'd think. She relies heavily on her blasts to do lots of damage. I prefer to use her as more of a threat than I actually do much killing. Opponents are so scared of her potential they will spread themselves thin allowing you to control the board. 

Good summary.  Question though: How is Raspy a good pick vs Ressers?  The hard to wound makes it very difficult to get any straight flips for her December's Curse, even when you focus.  Do you just take her black joker upgrade and fish for jokers with triple negative flips?  Or do you utilize her other abilities, or those of other Frozen Heart models? Thanks

Against RESSERS i have had most success with Freeze Over for Paralyze so far.

Most of the time takin Cold Nights, Armor of December and Seize the Day upgrades on Raspy..

Versus those undead bastards Child of December may also be a nice upgrade. Paralyze one or two of em and then Shatter their frozen bodies for:-fate:-fate on to all duels and if you are hitting the right triggers, some fixed damage on top..

Snowstorms Grip of Winter trigger for double :+fate on Damage Flips is although a nice one

Outside of Raspy's own crew mechanics and paralyze tricks......

Also its worth noting that Raspy crews are immune to horror paralyze (Frozen Heart).

This is an amazing bonus great for beginners in particular as it negates a really nasty in game mechanic.

Against Rezzers and Neverborn this can be beyond game changing, certain masters in particular can find it crippling.  Raspy crews for this reason alone can be fielded against Rezzer crews and be competitive in most cases.

Raspy vs Ressers is great because of her ability to use the BJ as a RJ. Ressers let you really dig into your cards and fish it out. With Raspy basically having 2 crit chances, I will dig in hard to get those juicy morsels. Also, Ressers are in general on the slowish side, if they aren't playing incorporeal models her Ice Walls can shut them down hard.  The one time I don't normally take Raspy is if I expect to come across Armor, so she's usually not a good pick for Arcanist mirror match. 

And yes, being immune to paralyze is fantastic. 

• Like 1

I'm still struggling with her almost more than any other Arcanist master, wit hteh core issue being that I find that her shooting doesn't really seem dangerous / damaging enough to justify being a "one trick"  for a Master-level model.... especially when most of the other Masters have at least 2 'tricks'. Her must-have support pieces and must-have upgrades are also both quite pricey.  

I am getting an inking that using Ice Pillars is more important and should be used more often than I currently do... but given they are an either/or with her shooting in any given turn I tend to feel that not shooting is a missed opportunity. 

Getting her the right distance up the field (not too close so she can be engaged, not too far so her shooting nodes get outdistanced or taken out) is still tricky, and think I I may need to resort to drawing a pre-set plan, with distances marked out between the models, and then move and treat the whole crew as a single on-table 'shape' that advances up the field (or not) as a block. 

Always remember ice gamin gives her +1 to damage with its 0 action.

She isn't always about trying to cheat for lots of high damage.  You can just accept that you'll be doing min and focus on the cast another time trigger and spam low def models into the ground, 3 damage at a time.

If rasputina activates and doesn't kill something, either you are doing pillars/paralyze shenanigans, she's engaged, or you are up against a very odd crew.  She is lethal from 22 inches vs almost anyone.

Hello, folks! I need your help with the following match-up:

Headhunter. Close deploy.
¤Claim jump ¤Dig their Graves ¤LyM ¤Show of Force ¤SetUp

Pandora + 6 Pool
 - On Wings Of Darkness 
 - Aether Connection
Poltergeist +Sorrow +Sorrow
Candy 
 - Malifaux Provides 
 - Best Behavior
Iggy 
 - The Mimic's Blessing
Killjoy (buried)

With such pool and upgrades Panda almost always have a better hand and 3 times 3-4 Wd prevent.
I know that Panda 'll try to use her 0-action with trigger for free 8" push. So ' walk-walk, 12" range cast, 8" push ' bring her in my deploy at most in 2nd turn. And now my low-Wp model (Wendigo or SilentOne) 'll activate by her choice. Same condition sometimes 'll bring to me by Candy and Iggy. And if I haven't 13 in my hand I even cant paralyze Panda. I can't ignore Panda because of Sorrow and Misery ability and because she going to engage Raspy. And I can't safe kill her crew because Killjoy's counterstrike.

I loose such game twice and don't come up with nothing, except counterstrike with Howard's flurry after Ice pillars blocking Panda's Wp-push ability.

I have full Raspy, Ramos and Colette crew, including Captain, Sue and Johan but don't have Ice Dancers yet. 
Any tips/advice are very welcome!

1 hour ago, Trixter said:

Hello, folks! I need your help with the following match-up:

Headhunter. Close deploy.
¤Claim jump ¤Dig their Graves ¤LyM ¤Show of Force ¤SetUp

Pandora + 6 Pool
 - On Wings Of Darkness 
 - Aether Connection
Poltergeist +Sorrow +Sorrow
Candy 
 - Malifaux Provides 
 - Best Behavior
Iggy 
 - The Mimic's Blessing
Killjoy (buried)

With such pool and upgrades Panda almost always have a better hand and 3 times 3-4 Wd prevent.
I know that Panda 'll try to use her 0-action with trigger for free 8" push. So ' walk-walk, 12" range cast, 8" push ' bring her in my deploy at most in 2nd turn. And now my low-Wp model (Wendigo or SilentOne) 'll activate by her choice. Same condition sometimes 'll bring to me by Candy and Iggy. And if I haven't 13 in my hand I even cant paralyze Panda. I can't ignore Panda because of Sorrow and Misery ability and because she going to engage Raspy. And I can't safe kill her crew because Killjoy's counterstrike.

I loose such game twice and don't come up with nothing, except counterstrike with Howard's flurry after Ice pillars blocking Panda's Wp-push ability.

I have full Raspy, Ramos and Colette crew, including Captain, Sue and Johan but don't have Ice Dancers yet. 
Any tips/advice are very welcome!

It is late for me, but a couple initial thoughts:

With Tina and Silent Ones You're rocking more than enough CA duels to chew through the Geist and Sorrows, even with Martyrs.    If you can destroy one at range with your first 2 AP to lure out Killjoy, you could then drop Ice Pillars to block his charge lane.

Sure you may not be able to paralyze Panda, but even better, with Frozen Heart, she can not paralyze you.  And if need be, you can pump armor instead of blasting, shift to a buffing, support Tina, and off set her damage output.

Panda's Self Harm is a :ranged so Snowstorm's bullet proof if effective against it as well.

My first thought is that Rasputina is a huge threat for Pandora as you have ways to damage her without her getting to make any flips - Blasts. If you can get an Ice Gamin standing near her, you can easily arrange for blast damage onto Pandora, quickly making a mess of her 10 wounds.

You can "build" a wall of ice gamin in front of Rasputina, making it trickier for pandora to be able to engage Rasputina, or alternatively, have snow storm or the captain ready to disengage her. 

16 hours ago, WalterL said:

Always remember ice gamin gives her +1 to damage with its 0 action.

She isn't always about trying to cheat for lots of high damage.  You can just accept that you'll be doing min and focus on the cast another time trigger and spam low def models into the ground, 3 damage at a time.

If rasputina activates and doesn't kill something, either you are doing pillars/paralyze shenanigans, she's engaged, or you are up against a very odd crew.  She is lethal from 22 inches vs almost anyone.

Hmmm - so many interactions in this game that I'd missed that one!  Does that apply to Blasts as well then?