Where to start with Ressers?

Zwergenkrieger

Hi all,

last year I painted a huge bunch of undead miniatures for some different games and I really enjoyed it. Therefore I´m currently thinking about starting a Ressers project for Malifaux just to get a second faction besides my Neverborn. I´m especially interested in skelettons and ghosts, but this is just from a modelling/painting point of view. I just like painting skellies and any kind of ghostly creatures. On the other hand I do not like the look of zombie styled models nor do I like to paint them.

That being said, what do you recommend as a good start for some skeletton / ghostly Ressers project?

Thanks in advance.

ZK

Skeletons are limited to Ashigaru. They are thematically linked to Yan Lo, though they don't have very strong synergy mechanically.

Ghosts are also kind of rare. There are a fair amount of models that are incorporeal, and thus kind of ghostly, but more often than not the models look kind of like zombies anyway. You could of course paint them ghostly anyway. Lots of grey scale could make any crew look like ghosts really.

Kirai, Forgotten Path Molly, or Nicodem (if you neglect half his hiring pool).

Kirai requires a lot of extra models purchased, as basically her box is a master, totem, and a bunch of summons, but that's fairly true of all Resser summoners. It's why people are recommended to start with someone like Seamus or McMourning, who have a small summoning pool, and then work up. Starting with a heavy summoner means front loading your purchases. Still, I'm not really one to talk because I already own most of the Resser models (at least in metal) and I've only played Outcasts so far.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, guys. Though it seems to me that at least the Skeleton theme I can´t get in Malifaux.

On 11.1.2017 at 5:00 PM, verpixelt said:

Why don't you just go through Wyrds shop and look at what you like and come back with that info and we can give you further advice on what would fit these models?

I did this and the models that realy appeal to me are:

Yan Lo Boxed Set

Kirai Boxed Set

Izamu

Bete Noir

Gaki

Jaakuna Ubume

Graveyard Spirit

Datsue Ba and Seishin

Forgotten Marshall

Carrion Emissary

Goryo

and to some degree night terrors

While writing down these models I realized that this already is a huge collection of models.

1. With the listed models, where should I start?

2. I´m not sure wether I really like to run a summing crew. Summoning as part of the overall game plan seems to be fine, but I doubt that I want to summon the models in the firrst to rounds before I really "start to play the strategy and shemes". I see summoning more like repleneshing my model pool. Is it possible to run Yan Lo, Kirai or even Nicodem more like a supporter than a summoner?

Thanks in advance

ZK

23 minutes ago, Zwergenkrieger said:

2. I´m not sure wether I really like to run a summing crew. Summoning as part of the overall game plan seems to be fine, but I doubt that I want to summon the models in the firrst to rounds before I really "start to play the strategy and shemes". I see summoning more like repleneshing my model pool. Is it possible to run Yan Lo, Kirai or even Nicodem more like a supporter than a summoner?

Well, this one just screams Yan Lo to me. He can be quite difficult to play well, he has a lot of moving parts and I have no idea how good he is as a purchase to start playing Ressers (I play 10T, which is where I use Yan Lo), but he specifically has an upgrade that does exactly what you describe here.

He has synergies with Ancestor models (Chiaki, Yin, Izamu, Toshiro) and can bring an upgrade that allows him to summon them, but only to summon a model that was already killed this game (so essentially he summons them back in). He also has plenty of supporty tricks to move enemies around and hand out Armour or healing to his crew.

I can't speak for the other masters you listed because I don't really play them, but that was my initial thought.

Like the ppl before me already said, from what you've posted I'd clearly advice you to play Yan Lo. He is hard to master but definitely fun to play ;) Looking at his box, Chiaki is a model you want to have for a lot of Resser crews anyway, so that's a top purchase. The Carrion Emissary, Izamu, Datsu Ba and Bete Noire are models I field in a lot of crews. Night Terrors go well with Yan Lo and so does Izamu and Datsu Ba. For a start I'd get Yan Lo's box and Izamu. From here on ppl will most likely recommend you different things. Imho you should look at the Rotten Belles (either try to get one from someone, buy the box or if you might wanna start Seamus get his box right away (Sybelle can be ridiculous good)), Nurses and Yin. Play around with that for a couple of months and see how you like it. See what type of model you're missing in game and purchase accordingly. There is a very good Resser starting guide and also a excellent Yan Lo tactica thread here in the forum.

Good Luck!