Reva Lore (Possible Spoilers)

gozer

After reading through Reva's introduction I was left with more questions than answers about the origin of Reva's abilities. There are a few bits regarding when she started acting differently. According to her mother: "Ever since becoming an adult she has been...different." However, the Master blurb on the Wyrd page states: "She was always an awkward child and never quite fit in, but all of that took on a whole new meaning when her family moved to Malifaux." So either she changed when crossing the breach (like many do) or something happened when she came of age. In either case this seems incredibly important because none of the other Resurrectionist Masters came about their power innately (save perhaps possession).

Seamus, Kirai and Molly all encountered artifacts of power (the book, ring and tear respectively).

Nicodem and McMourning were self educated through study and practice.

Yan Lo was cursed and Tara was resurrected/blessed by Obliteration.

There may be a more typical explanation for Reva's unnatural capabilities, but based on the evidence so far she's either genuinely possessed or has a thus far unique (un)natural talent.

Considering her compassionate (almost loving) perspective of death, dying and the undead, combined with the flavor of talents like summoning a spectral scythe, shepherding spirits, identifying souls destined to die, donning a black cloak and riding a black steed: Reva's entire motif seems all too familiar.

Reva may be the Grim Reaper.

...or even a host of the Grave Spirit.

...or maybe she's just a creepy girl with a penchant for hugging zombies! :)

What do you think?

• Like 5

While I respect your theory, I really hope Reva isn't the Grim Reaper or anything of the sort. 

I hope she stays a humble, somewhat twisted peacekeeper like she's presented. None of the masters have the goal of actual peace except for Reva and Molly (and Kirai pre-Court of Two). I'd love for future stories about her to explore how she feels about her powers and how Vincent feels about her/her powers as time passes, especially if she gets into a turf war with anybody else in the Quarantine Zone. 

A ceasefire zone in Malifaux would be really interesting, as long as it doesn't get the Falling Skies treatment. 

• Like 1

Reva's mother may not be a very reliable narrator*. Child Reva may very well have had powers unlooked by the breach, but her mother could ignore it until Reva got older. It's easier to dismiss odd things children do after all.

* Never assume that a character in a story knows what they are talking about and/or is being honest.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Reva's story - Vincent was brilliant (especially when read aloud) I would go with the assumption that like Chiaki she had some capacity before coming through the breach - the same way children are often disbelieved by their parents when they claim to see things (my partner watches a lot of paranormal investigations).
This ability then got ramped up or awakened after coming through the breach, given what we know of the grave spirit from previous fluff -an apparent desire/tendency to wipe out all life- it seems unlikely that someone whose main character traits seems to be empathy, pity and sentiment would be a manifestation of the grave spirit - an unaware/ignorant pawn in it's plans however?

More interestingly I find it difficult to imagine her working with other ressurs as she seems to have a disdain for the way they treat the unliving which cuts her off from the faction a little if you like to play fluffy, where ressurs otherwise have one of the best trade networks in the game (fluffwise) I can only really imagine Reva getting along with Molly and maybe Kirai and Karina.