Maliphoenix Wong vs. The Viktorias 50 soulstone

thecapopriest

P1030098_zpswcems1kq.jpg

This is a 50 point game played in the MaliPhoenix group at Games U.

Gremlins vs. Outcasts

Deployment: Standard

Strategy: Reconnoiter

Schemes: A Line in The Sand, Break Through, Protect Territory, Make Them Suffer, and Plant Explosives.

Gremlin List: Wong with A Gremlin's Luck, Explosive Solutions, and Do Over, Sammy Lacroix with Wong's limited upgrade Ooo Glowy, Gracie with Saddle, Burt Jebsen with Stilts, Old Cranky, Slop Hauler, and 3 Stuffed Piglets. Soulstone Cache of 7.

With this list I wanted to try out Wong with the newest upgrade Do Over with shooting into engagements with the Stuffed Piglets. On paper it looked really nasty and I just wanted to see how it would work out on the table.

Surprisingly this was my first time taking Burt Jebsen with Wong for the express purpose of giving him the Magical Condition. I have heard really good things about him having it but the only two models I have ever put the magical condition on have been Mancha Roja or Francois Lacroix.

This was my first game with Old Cranky and why I took him with Wong is because unlike all of my other Gremlin Masters, I never take Wong's specific Totem, as I have come to the conclusion that she is unnecessary for Wong's crew. 

Outcasts List: Viktoria of Ashes with Sisters in Fury and Howling Wolf Tattoo, Viktoria of Blood with Mark of Shez'uui and Tally Sheet, Vanessa, Freikorps Trapper, Bishop, Convict Gunslinger, Student of Conflict, and a Ronin. Soulstone cache of 4.

Gremlins reveal Breakthrough, but do not reveal Make Them Suffer.

Outcasts reveal Protect Territory and For The Money. For The Money is a faction specific Scheme, that instead of scoring points off of it you gain +4 soulstones to your cache.

Gremlins win Deployment Flip and choose to make Outcasts deploy first and choose sides.

Just to note this is a four foot by four foot board, so six inches all around the board is out of play.

P1030099_zpsyoty5p9p.jpg

Outcasts Deployment Left to Right: Convict Gunslinger, Bishop, Viktoria of Ashes, Viktoria of Blood, Vanessa, Freikorps Trapper on top of the stones, Student of Conflict, and a Ronin.

P1030100_zpsgvvjkzn5.jpg

Gremlin Deployment Left to Right: Stuffed Piglet, Burt Jebsen, Stuffed Piglet, Gracie, Wong, Old Cranky, Slop Hauler, Sammy Lacroix, and a Stuffed Piglet.

P1030101_zpswj8bqvx1.jpg

Outcasts win initiative and force Gremlins to go first.

Stuffed Piglet double walks.

P1030102_zpsqugy6uwg.jpg

Student of Conflict did her 2 action Assist to give the Freikorps Trapper Fast.

P1030103_zpscdd8yeyz.jpg

Stuffed Piglet Double Walked.

P1030104_zpsaf0w198v.jpg

Viktoria of Ashes double walked forward and shot at the Stuffed Piglet, but missed due to hard cover. She then did her 0 action the Setting Sun to gain +1 Defense as long as there is a friendly sister model within 2" of her.

P1030105_zpszpazd4kx.jpg

Stuffed Piglet double walked.

P1030106_zpssctyskae.jpg

Viktoria of Blood double walked forward and did her 0 action The Falling Star, giving her +1 Melee as long as she is within 2" of a friendly sister.

P1030107_zpsrc4mn0cn.jpg

Old Cranky did his 0 action Let Me Tell You a Tell Sonny... that allows me to discard a card to draw a card, which I discarded a 1. That then caused Sammy Lacroix's ability to activate which is, Winds of Fate, which allows me to discard a card and draw a card, which I discarded a 5. He then double walked.

P1030108_zpsmzi4148h.jpg

Bishop double walked and went Defensive +1.

P1030109_zpsk4ctsfap.jpg

Burt Jebsen went Reckless, which he healed from Regeneration +1 due to the Ooo Glowy upgrade on Sammy Lacroix. He then triple walked.

P1030110_zps28mfp8ke.jpg

Convict Gunslinger walked forward and went Defensive +1.

P1030111_zpsj89ygdtf.jpg

Sammy Lacroix double walked.

P1030112_zpsanosu5ma.jpg

Ronin walked forward and shot at Sammy Lacroix, but missed due to hard cover.

P1030113_zpsfaiwa0h0.jpg

Gracie did her 0 action Riled Up, getting the 7 she needed and taking 2 damage to gain Reactivate. She then double walked forward Saddling Wong both times.

P1030114_zps29zeafbm.jpg

Vanessa double walked.

P1030115_zpsohlnekav.jpg

Slop Hauler went Reckless and walked forward. Then he did his 2 action Feed Piggies healing himself and Gracie to full.

P1030116_zpsvenahdfk.jpg

Fast Freikorps Trapper shot at the Stuffed Piglet and got the Red Joker, hitting it and gaining a positive twist that off set the negative due to hard cover. He killed the Stuffed Piglet outright with severe damage. He then shot at Sammy Lacroix twice, first time missing due to me cheating and the second hitting doing weak damage of 2, which I used a soulstone to reduce to 0.

P1030117_zps4gwckcb1.jpg

Gracie saddled Wong forward and then walked back.

P1030118_zpsgaxgs7st.jpg

Wong did Lightning Jump on Viktoria of Ashes 3 times. First time I hit and did weak damage of 2 and pulse damage of 2 to Viktoria of Blood, but no Pulse on the Freikorps Trapper due to being immune to the damage. 2 soulstones were used to reduce damage on each Viktoria by 1 damage. I got the trigger Lightning Storm to attack Viktoria of Blood which I used a soulstone to gain a positive twist to offset the soft cover but still missed. Second attack I got the Red Joker and did Moderate damage of 3 to Viktoria of Ashes and 2 damage to Viktoria of Blood from the blast damage and another 2 from the pulse. The Viktoria's used 3 more soulstones to reduce each portion of the damage. I declared the Lightning Storm trigger to attack Viktoria of Blood but she successfuly reduced the 2 damage to 0, preventing the trigger from going off. The third attack hit and did weak damage of 2 to Viktoria of Ashes but the Pulse did not get the crow needed to deal 2 damage to Viktoria of Blood. Viktoria of Ashes has 3 health left and 4 damage on her. Viktoria of Blood has 5 health left and 2 damage. Outcasts have 3 soulstones left and Gremlins have 5 soulstones.

End of turn 1 no points scored.

P1030120_zpsryssju8w.jpg

Top of turn 2.

Outcasts win initiative.

Viktoria of Blood did her 0 action The Lonely Path to gain positive twists to her damage flips as long as she is not within 6" of a friendly sister. She charged Wong and on the first attack she cheated in the Red Joker to do 9 points of damage, which I spent a soulstone to reduce by 1, but unfortunately the armor on Wong was negated due to Mark of Shez'uui. Second attack hit and did weak damage of 3 which I reduced down to 1 point of damage due to a soulstone. Wong has 9 damage and 3 health left.

P1030121_zpspjahanrh.jpg

Gracie did her 0 action to gain Reactivate and then double walked saddling Wong.

P1030122_zpstanttemw.jpg

Vanessa did her 2 action The Ley Stone Unleashed to heal herself and all friendly sister models. She got moderate of 3, healing Viktoria of Blood up to full and healing Viktoria of Ashes up to only 1 damage left and 6 health.

P1030123_zps21mkcxob.jpg

Slop Hauler went Reckless and healed himself and Gracie to full as well as healing Wong by 2 to have him have 5 health left and 7 points of damage. The Slop Hauler then walked.

P1030124_zpscbsjfb0p.jpg

Freikorps Trapper Focused and shot the Slop Hauler getting severe damage and killing him outright.

P1030125_zps68ixxqxn.jpg

Stuffed Piglet double walked into engagement with Viktoria of Blood.

P1030126_zpszralzc3r.jpg

Bishop walked forward and then charged Burt Jebsen. He had added crows to his duels and both attacks hit, first attack doing moderate of 3 and giving Burt Slow and the second getting weak of 2. Burt Jebsen has 2 health left and 5 points of damage.

P1030127_zpsiu0w0z8g.jpg

Slow Burt Jebsen went Reckless, which was healed by Regeneration, and attacked Bishop twice. The first attack I got the Red Joker on the attack and declared Critical Strike. With Ooo Glowy and the built in ram this made the damage spread 5/6/7, he did moderate damage of 6. His second attack hit and also got the ram, getting weak damage of 5 and killing Bishop.

P1030129_zps4oritaaq.jpg

Convict Gunslinger walked forward and shot at Burt Jebsen, which missed due to the Black Joker, so I cheated in a 4 of rams to get the It's All in the Reflexes trigger doing moderate damage of 3 to the Convict Gunslinger.

P1030130_zpsqjib2mik.jpg

Stuffed Piglet double walked.

P1030131_zpskk5hpf7z.jpg

Ronin double walked.

Old Cranky double walked to be within 6" of Sammy Lacroix and did his 0 action to discard and draw which caused Sammy to also discard and draw.

P1030132_zpsjyoo6m4z.jpg

Student of Conflict walked and did her Sisters in Spirit action to place Viktoria of Ashes into base contact.

Sammy Lacroix walked and then hit Viktoria of Ashes with Jynx, doing 2 points of damage which she soulstoned to 0, and gave her the Twisted Legs condition that prevents her from walking or charging. Outcasts have 2 remaining soulstones.

P1030134_zpsfk8vu6co.jpg

Viktoria of Ashes Focused and shot at Old Cranky and did weak damage of 2. She shot again but missed due to soft cover.She then did her 0 action The Setting Sun.

Wong shot into engagement and randomized into the Stuffed Piglet. I did severe damage and got BWHAM! Trigger doing +1 damage on Blast Markers. The Blast did 4 damage which was reduced to 2 damage from the soulstone, then 2 damage from the Pulse which was reduced to 1 with the last Outcast Soulstone, and finally 2 more points of damage from the Stuffed Piglet's Bacon Bomb, leaving Viktoria of Blood with 2 health left and no soulstones. I then discarded a card for Do Over! and hit and killed Viktoria of Blood. Wong then walked and shot at Viktoria of Ashes but missed.

P1030135_zpsulmbmqje.jpg

Gracie walked saddling Wong and then went Defensive +1.

P1030136_zpsqnvioeur.jpg

End of turn 2 we both score 1 point on Reconnoiter.

P1030137_zpsxguewqo2.jpg

Top of turn 3.

Gremlins win initiative.

Stuffed Piglet double walks.

P1030140_zpsmgi5pc4a.jpg

Viktoria of Ashes charged and killed Sammy Lacroix, first attack dealing weak and second dealing moderate for 7 points of damage. She then shot at old Cranky but missed due to soft cover. She then did her 0 action The Setting Sun.

Old Cranky Focused and shot at the Ronin. I cheated a high Crow to get the Slug trigger. At a straight flip for both damage flips I dropped the Ronin to Hard to Kill.

P1030142_zps1ir3wgge.jpg

The Ronin charged Old Cranky and killed him on the first attack and got the Next Target trigger to push 4" away.

P1030144_zpsxkkeffxk.jpg

Burt Jebsen walked and shot into the engagement between the Convict Gunslinger and the Stuffed Piglet, and randomized into the Convict Gunslinger. It hit him and did weak damage of 2 after accounting for Ooo Glowy and Bullet Proof.

Vanessa shot at Burt Jebsen twice first time missing due to the Red Joker being cheated in and second time missing.

P1030145_zpsf7oayd2i.jpg

Gracie did her 0 to gain Reactivate, she then walked forward saddling Wong and attacked the Ronin with Take a Bite, killing her and healing to full.

P1030146_zpsdspym2l3.jpg

Student of Conflict walked and placed Viktoria of Ashes into base to base.

P1030147_zps2h3oed3i.jpg

Gracie did reactivate and double walked saddling Wong both times.

P1030148_zpsgwe6phor.jpg

Convict Gunslinger tried to leave engagement but failed. He then shot at the Stuffed Piglet hitting and doing moderate damage of 3.

P1030150_zpshe7wyuzn.jpg

Wong walked and shot twice at the Student of Conflict missing both times, the second time due to the Red Joker on defense.

Freikorps Trapper focused and shot at Wong, hitting and doing weak damage of 2 which was reduced down to 1 by Armor.

End of turn 3 we both score 1 for Reconnoiter.

P1030151_zpskasw6768.jpg

Top of turn 4.

Outcasts win initiative.

Viktoria of Ashes did her 0 action East and West to gain positive twists to her attack flips, she then walked and then charged Wong, killing him with the second attack.

P1030154_zpsphqimrcc.jpg

Gracie charged and did severe damage of 6 on the first attack, but the second attack missed. Gracie also did her 0 action to gain Reactivate.

P1030155_zpsivwwj27i.jpg

Vanessa attacked Burt Jebsen twice, first attack dropped him to Hard to Kill and the second killed him off.

P1030156_zpsl5pf6fge.jpg

Gracie Reactivated and attacked Viktoria of Ashes but missed both times.

P1030157_zpsnkseb98u.jpg

Convict Gunslinger shot and killed the Stuffed Piglet, which then did Bacon Bomb for 1 damage for a 4" pulse. He then dropped a scheme marker.

P1030160_zpsgalqvbug.jpg

Freikorps Trapper walked and dropped a scheme marker.

The Student of Conflict walked forward and placed Viktoria of Ashes.

End of turn 4 Outcast score 1 on Reconnoiter.

Gremlins 2 vs. Outcasts 3.

P1030158_zps8usdse7u.jpg

Top of turn 5.

Gremlins win initiative.

Gracie does her 0 action to gain Reactivate, she then double walks.

Viktoria of Ashes did her 1 action Sisters in Fury to gain +2 damage and attacked Gracie twice, hitting with the first attack and dropping her to hard to kill then the second attack killed her.

End of the game Outcasts score another point for Reconnoiter and the full 3 points from Protect Territory.

Gremlins 2 to Outcasts 7

This felt like it was anybodies game all the way up to Wong being eliminated. Overall I really liked how the Stuffed Piglet trick worked, it was really over the top! Next time I am going to bring only 1 or 2 Stuffed Piglets with a Taxidermist to summon in more as the game rolls along.

I would also like to give Burt Jebsen another shot with Glowy, I just need to keep in mind to have him around a big resilient model to use his Slippery ability.

I feel like overall my biggest mistake this game was moving the Slop Hauler to where the Freikorps Trapper could see him and kill him.

As always I hope you enjoyed the battle report and I look forward to any criticisms, critiques, or advice anyone may have.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this. I'm a fan of Wong myself, but I'm still trying to get my head around how to best use him.

One question: did the Outcasts somehow have 8 Soulstones? You say during Wong's first attacks on them they they used 2ss for damage prevention, then another 3 (total 5) for prevention on the next attack, leaving them with 3ss (total 8).

You said at the top of the game that they had a cache of 4ss, so I'm obviously missing something here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm a fan of Wong myself, but I'm still trying to get my head around how to best use him.

One question: did the Outcasts somehow have 8 Soulstones? You say during Wong's first attacks on them they they used 2ss for damage prevention, then another 3 (total 5) for prevention on the next attack, leaving them with 3ss (total 8).

You said at the top of the game that they had a cache of 4ss, so I'm obviously missing something here!

He used the Outcasts Faction specific Scheme For The Money. All that scheme does is give you +4 soulstones for the game. 

• Like 1

Terrific report as usual; thanks for sharing it and taking the time to write it up.  The pictures are really helpful.

I feel that the Outcast player could make more of the Viktorias' threat range.  For example, I like Viktoria of Ashes with Sisters in Spirit, Sisters in Fury and Synchronised Slaying, then Viktoria of Blood with Mark of Shezuul and Oathkeeper.  This gives a really long range option to slingshot Viktoria of Blood into a clump of models and also the chain activation ability to let Viktoria of Ashes fire her up with Sisters in Fury before she goes.  Looking at the picture at the start of turn 2, Viktoria of Ashes could have activated, put up Sisters in Fury and placed Viktoria of Blood where needed, then chain activated to send her into Wong, Gracie and Old Cranky, almost certainly killing them all between up to four attacks plus Whirlwinds (Wong might have been able to Squeal away depending on the charge position).

Obviously the Outcasts won anyway so maybe it is needless advice, but it has been quite effective for me.

On 1/7/2017 at 0:32 AM, thecapopriest said:

Viktoria of Ashes charged and killed Sammy Lacroix, first attack dealing weak and second dealing moderate for 7 points of damage. 

Burt Jebsen walked and shot into the engagement between the Convict Gunslinger and the Stuffed Piglet, and randomized into the Convict Gunslinger. It hit him and did weak damage of 2 after accounting for Ooo Glowy and Bullet Proof.

If Sammy was killed I think Burt loses the regeneration and extra damage from Ooo Glowy. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...