Notice Board Adventure Generator

sycorax

Hey all, 

First, a note... This post is less a player made creation than me asking for some advice on creating something myself...

I'm going into Fatemastering a long on going campaign that will take breaks as we switch to other systems for a bit or do something else. To this end I've devised a system wherein gaining destiny steps is a bit more fluid, after a life defining event etc so the campaign can be more open ended, so we don't feel like we have to draw it to a close before changing to another system. 

How it will work is the Fated will start out on Earthside, headed to Malifaux for whatever reasons they individually see fit, and take on odd jobs as a sort of ad hoc mercenary group to make a living. 

To this end I've created a notice board which will have job offers, advertising for bars/saloons, nearby towns looking for new residents etc. Each of these adverts will lead to an adventure/penny dreadful/one shot/what have you, and I'll slowly weave them all into a story of an actual life rather than sort of railroading the characters to an finale as many RPG systems seem to do. 

I've made a large number of these in-universe ads so far, all A5 sized that I will print and pin to said notice board and the players can then pick and choose what 'job' they want to tale on at a given time (read:session/number of sessions for longer adventures) the ads will switch and change as some get completed and others become available.

Most of these are linked to actual published TTB one shots or PDs as I'll find it easier to run them at short notice because I'll never know which they might pick at the start of an evenings game.

I'm happy to share these adverts on here if you want to see/use them for yourselves of course, but first....

Where I'm having trouble is creating adverts to entice the players into the following stories...

Porksplosion  (from Creative Taxidermy)

This is set in and around Edge point, and whilst I could just tag it onto the beginning or end of an adventure like Defense of Innocence  (as they make their way to/from Innocence) where's the fun?

The Ferryman (Penny Dreadful one shot)

The issue here is that it begins with a wake/funeral. I'm not adverse to just cutting that out and rewriting the beginning, but would, say, an advert for a river cruise or a bounty wanted poster for the monster be apt? Other suggestions?

A Night in Rottenburg (full-scale Penny Dreadful)

This has hooks and tie ins within its pages, but none seem particularly well suited to an advert on a notice board. Thoughts? Perhaps something to leado them to where the adventure starts? Or an invite to go live in Rottenburg? 

I'll be grateful for any and all input here

Thanks

Syc

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 7:51 PM, sycorax said:

The Ferryman (Penny Dreadful one shot)

The issue here is that it begins with a wake/funeral. I'm not adverse to just cutting that out and rewriting the beginning, but would, say, an advert for a river cruise or a bounty wanted poster for the monster be apt? Other suggestions?

I think a wanted poster would work out just fine, if it asks interested parties to gather in a certain location for an announcement. It gets the Fated to the a place where the NPC puts out the bounty on the Ferryman, which is where the adventure really begins proper.