Painters Challenge 2016 - January 2017

prof_bycid

Here is my work in progress on the Sandeep crew.  I am fairly excited about getting this one done now that I have the bases for them.  I am just starting; only have most of the base coating done but wanted to post the progress just to keep up the group chatter (and because I am actually not leaving it to the last week for a change).    I tried out a new wash on the base for Banasuva---the Vallejo wash for rust effects.  I am really happy with it so far.  I started with a wide area around bolt heads etc. and then made each subsequent layer cover a smaller more central area.  This is likely how most people do it.  How are you all doing on your pledges?

large.Jan2017_Sandeep_crew_wip.jpg

On 14/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, prof_bycid said:

wanted to post the progress just to keep up the group chatter 

Great initiative @prof_bycid.

The gamins already look pretty nice on the picture. Which green colors did you use?

On my side, I've painted three steam arachnids so far:

20170116_000941_zpsimgvxuyj.jpg

I tried @Viruk's way of making swamp bases. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 4

Thanks Franchute!  The gamin base color is Citadel's Ogryn Camo.  It is a nice sickly green that suits them well, I think.  I gave the faces, and upper head of one gamin, a touch of thinned down sepia ink to draw out the details and darken the eye sockets.  I may go with shiny black eyes, in which case I am going to need to glaze over top of this to lighten it back up a bit so that the eyes still stand out.

Those arachnids are great, as are the bases.  I really like how you got the eye to be tinted blue but still really pop out of the darker background of the model. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, prof_bycid said:

The gamin base color is Citadel's Ogryn Camo. 

It looks like there is at least two green colors on the picture. Is it simply because you applied the green as washes on a white foundation? Depending on the thickness of each layer, the green might look different?

15 hours ago, Franchute said:

It looks like there is at least two green colors on the picture. Is it simply because you applied the green as washes on a white foundation?

Exactly right, Franchute.  I thinned the Ogryn to approximately 1/3 (1 paint : 1 water : 1 medium thinner), and put it on in a few layers.  I also used a bit of thinned down sepia on a few other places, like the darker bits around the head and limb joints.  I find that this ink layer lets me see the details for later, even if I end up covering it back up.  I also really enjoy watching how the different consistencies of the paint and ink move around the model features (I mostly paint under a dissecting microscope at about 20 X magnification). 

Edited by prof_bycid
Punctuation
  • Like 1

My January models for the challenge.  I need to go back and add pupils to Kudra's eyes, and soften transitions on Kudra's clothes and Banasuva's body, but I won't get this done in the next two days.  Going to have to call these done for now.  This month did see me tentatively trying out airburshing on the models for the first time.  I am happy with the glow effects under Banasuva's fire and Sandeep's spell.  Need to practice a lot on some larger terrain pieces before I go in and apply to actual models.  I really enjoyed this quick foray into using this tool, though.  The bases, except Kudra's, are from MicroArts studios.  Kudra's is green stuff pressed into a Basius tile.

large.Jan2017_Sandeep_crew_done.jpglarge.Jan2017_Sandeep_Desai.jpglarge.Jan2017_Kudra.jpglarge.Jan2017_Banasuva.jpg 

• Like 2

Thanks,glad you like it. P3 Wurm Green was the main color here but I used many highlights with increasing amount of bleached bone and pure white. After that I used glazes - turquise on tuhe scales and light green on the body and darker washes in the recesses. 

• Like 1