Welcome to Wyrd Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

prof_bycid

Painters Challenge 2016 - January 2017

42 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Did you do it separately before caging him, or pull a ship-in-the-bottle routine to paint it in place? 

Sort of, i assembled the guy and cage but left off the top two sections of the cage so i could get at the guy.

1 person likes this

Here is my work in progress on the Sandeep crew.  I am fairly excited about getting this one done now that I have the bases for them.  I am just starting; only have most of the base coating done but wanted to post the progress just to keep up the group chatter (and because I am actually not leaving it to the last week for a change).    I tried out a new wash on the base for Banasuva---the Vallejo wash for rust effects.  I am really happy with it so far.  I started with a wide area around bolt heads etc. and then made each subsequent layer cover a smaller more central area.  This is likely how most people do it.  How are you all doing on your pledges?

large.Jan2017_Sandeep_crew_wip.jpg

I've got three death marshalls and another judge done so far. LadyJ, scales and 2 executioners in progress. 

1 person likes this

On 14/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, prof_bycid said:

wanted to post the progress just to keep up the group chatter 

Great initiative @prof_bycid.

The gamins already look pretty nice on the picture. Which green colors did you use?

On my side, I've painted three steam arachnids so far:

20170116_000941_zpsimgvxuyj.jpg

I tried @Viruk's way of making swamp bases. Thanks for the tip!

4 people like this

Thanks Franchute!  The gamin base color is Citadel's Ogryn Camo.  It is a nice sickly green that suits them well, I think.  I gave the faces, and upper head of one gamin, a touch of thinned down sepia ink to draw out the details and darken the eye sockets.  I may go with shiny black eyes, in which case I am going to need to glaze over top of this to lighten it back up a bit so that the eyes still stand out.

Those arachnids are great, as are the bases.  I really like how you got the eye to be tinted blue but still really pop out of the darker background of the model. 

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, prof_bycid said:

The gamin base color is Citadel's Ogryn Camo. 

It looks like there is at least two green colors on the picture. Is it simply because you applied the green as washes on a white foundation? Depending on the thickness of each layer, the green might look different?

15 hours ago, Franchute said:

It looks like there is at least two green colors on the picture. Is it simply because you applied the green as washes on a white foundation?

Exactly right, Franchute.  I thinned the Ogryn to approximately 1/3 (1 paint : 1 water : 1 medium thinner), and put it on in a few layers.  I also used a bit of thinned down sepia on a few other places, like the darker bits around the head and limb joints.  I find that this ink layer lets me see the details for later, even if I end up covering it back up.  I also really enjoy watching how the different consistencies of the paint and ink move around the model features (I mostly paint under a dissecting microscope at about 20 X magnification). 

Edited by prof_bycid
Punctuation
1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Franchute said:

I tried @Viruk's way of making swamp bases. Thanks for the tip!

They look awesome mate. I haven't seen these minis based this way before and they look really good with that and with the rust effect

1 person likes this

Hello,
Some update on my progression for this month. I added a Blessed of December to the arachnids:
20170124_015411_HDR_zpsfdk5fuhy.jpg

7 people like this

Nice job on the fur, Franchute.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, prof_bycid said:

Nice job on the fur, Franchute.

Thanks. Nothing special. Just simple drybrush.

Edit: Thinking about it, the sculptor did a great job. The drybrush shows how detailed the miniature is.

1 person likes this

My January models for the challenge.  I need to go back and add pupils to Kudra's eyes, and soften transitions on Kudra's clothes and Banasuva's body, but I won't get this done in the next two days.  Going to have to call these done for now.  This month did see me tentatively trying out airburshing on the models for the first time.  I am happy with the glow effects under Banasuva's fire and Sandeep's spell.  Need to practice a lot on some larger terrain pieces before I go in and apply to actual models.  I really enjoyed this quick foray into using this tool, though.  The bases, except Kudra's, are from MicroArts studios.  Kudra's is green stuff pressed into a Basius tile.

large.Jan2017_Sandeep_crew_done.jpglarge.Jan2017_Sandeep_Desai.jpglarge.Jan2017_Kudra.jpglarge.Jan2017_Banasuva.jpg 

2 people like this

These were a lot of fun.

gupps_zpsjrtgoqgx.jpg

More pics here. Now I have to finish their mother before the month's over.

5 people like this

JANUARY

2x wakou raiders (2x8)= 16ss.

2+wakou.jpg

5 people like this

Here's my January pledge, in the end I managed to paint all the minis from the Amphibious Assault box for a total of 21 stones. More pictures here and here.

spawn_mother_zpsb6vaspfj.jpg

3 people like this

@Viruk the green on the mother is amazing. How did you do it? Which colours did you use?

Thanks,glad you like it. P3 Wurm Green was the main color here but I used many highlights with increasing amount of bleached bone and pure white. After that I used glazes - turquise on tuhe scales and light green on the body and darker washes in the recesses. 

1 person likes this