Marcus, where to go?

drakeman

Hey all, I am trying to get a better handle on playing Marcus (currently my only Arcanist master.  I play TT primarily).  I am looking for advice on where to expand with marcus from here.  So far I have the following:

Marcus

Myranda

Jackalope

Cojo

Sabertooth Cerberus

Blessed of December

Slate Ridge Mauler

Razorspine Rattler

The Scorpius

Dawn Serpent

Waldgeist (2)

So, I would like some ideas on where to go from here.  Any advice is welcome.  If it helps, I usually prefer to Run Marcus with his Trail of the Gods upgrade, not the God's Domain.  I have run both, but prefer the first cause it suits my style a bi more and l love having Marcus do work.  Thanks in advance!

I might be playing in an upcoming tournament with him as well.  Cause he is the only fully painted force I have ready :P  Also cause I like him.

I would suggest getting a cassandra, the raptors, and a mech rider. I know they are not 'themed' pieces (well the raptors are beasts) but they work really good with him. If you get some guild hounds too you will be able to run him effectively in every strategy

There are some good themed choices available, first Malifaux raptors, they provide a lot of utility, and are popular with many different arcanist masters.  Next would be something that is a good scheme runner, some people like the good old silurid, great leap, decent survivability, or a pair of Mole men, they work in tandem quite well, leapfrogging each other, and giving an additional activation.  Finally the Hoarcat Pride, they hit way above their paygrade, and have some nice tricks(manipulative 12, etc.), though they don't have quite the movement of many other beasts, but at 5 points they find their way into my crew regularly.

The super stickied Marcus post has a section in the beginning that has some nice descriptions of beast models from all factions.

17 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

If you want to have a LOT of fun, go for a Bishop Smell Fear list and watch your opponents twitch as he delivers 9 attacks in a single round. 

Try harder, I can see 19 attacks in 1 round for Bishop if you really want...

Edit. Seems counting is not my strength at the moment. Lets pretend I said 13 attacks....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Oops I seem to have miscounted. 13. 

Student of conflict makes him fast. Flurry twice. (6 attacks) Marcus Alpha's him, he discards imbued energies, flurrys twice (12 attacks). Smell fear, 13 attacks. 

I don't have IE with me but can't you only discard it at the start of that models activation? If Marcus Alpha's, it's not his activation. If the card doesn't say that, then awesome......I may just have found my master for an upcoming tournament.

1 minute ago, SurreyLee said:

I don't have IE with me but can't you only discard it at the start of that models activation? If Marcus Alpha's, it's not his activation. If the card doesn't say that, then awesome......I may just have found my master for an upcoming tournament.

I think the wording of Alpha just says that it doesn't count as the models activation, allowign it to activate twice. Not that it isn't an activation, so all the begging of activation things will still happen (such as generating AP) But you could easily gain the fast the other way round.

• Like 1

I think the wording of Alpha just says that it doesn't count as the models activation, allowign it to activate twice. Not that it isn't an activation, so all the begging of activation things will still happen (such as generating AP) But you could easily gain the fast the other way round.

That's true. Bit more set up the other way round i suppose, leaving Bishop exposed for another turn (while student hands out fast). Could be a really good use of the blade and claw switcheroo, really get bishop right in the thick of it.

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Oops I seem to have miscounted. 13. 

Student of conflict makes him fast. Flurry twice. (6 attacks) Marcus Alpha's him, he discards imbued energies, flurrys twice (12 attacks). Smell fear, 13 attacks. 

Two thoughts/questions.  One, can't he get 15 with Myranda if she uses hunting call on him twice?  And second, where is he getting smell fear?  

6 minutes ago, angyi said:

@drakeman : He can. And he's getting Smell Fear from the Pack Leader upgrade, he hits the opponent, chooses to attack its Wp, then Smell Fear tiggers.

Bu he can only take one upgrade, can't he?  Or is there some rule I am missing?  And he had Imbued Energy in that setup.  So I think 14 is the number here.

Smell fear works on all beasts in line of sight of the upgrade holder. So Marcus can be holding it. You do need to turn him into a beast for it to work, btu since you need to do that to alpha I hadn't bothered to clariffy

Edit - You could get a 16th by Myranda burning Imbued energies,

Smell fear works on all beasts in line of sight of the upgrade holder. So Marcus can be holding it. You do need to turn him into a beast for it to work, btu since you need to do that to alpha I hadn't bothered to clariffy

Right, for some reason my brain was skipping over the part where it said all beasts in LOS gain this.  My bad.  So the max I can see is 15 attacks with everything lining up right.  Nasty.  

33 minutes ago, Franchute said:

If Marcus holds Imbued Energies too, is there a way to make him alpha twice? It does not sound possible, but, who knows, you guys seem to have a lots of imagination. :)

Doesn't sound like it since the target model chain activates immediately after Marcus.  Not to mention you would need 8 cards in your hand, 4 of which need to be relatively high masks.  I'm sure there are other ways to get more attacks out of him though.

I mean you COULD use Alpha twice BUT since you only get one chain activation at a time then you are not going to be able to actually get 2 activations from 2 alphas. Now if you somehow Reactivate Marcus...well there's an interesting idea. (BTW did this in a doubles tourney with Colette. It was amusing)

pre -errata Colette could get more, but despite prompt change, I can still see her getting Bishop to 20

Bishop is fast, flurrys twice. 6. Myranda goes fast and hunting calls him 3 times (9). Colette prompts them both reactivatign them both  (11) Myranda Hunting Calls twice more (13), if Myranda is your pack leader holder, then Smell fear now before she becomes a different animal (14) Bishop then gains fast again, Flurries twice more (20) and sacrifices himself after all that hard work. 

Sorry for derailing the thread.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back onto topic, you have plenty of hitters and plenty of survivable stuff there. Aside from Marcus himself, you're lacking a bit of scheme running potential. While Cassandra is an obvious scheme runner, I much prefer molemen instead. They're cheap, so you get more activations, survivable, so they're good for more than just putting down scheme markers, and they're minions, so count for the various strategies which require minions in specific places.

People also like Silurids for scheme running, which is valid, but as you don't really have many cheap activations (Jackalope being the exception), molemen would certainly be a good investment, which you wouldn't regret.

Dave/sssk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iamsssk said:

Getting back onto topic, you have plenty of hitters and plenty of survivable stuff there. Aside from Marcus himself, you're lacking a bit of scheme running potential. While Cassandra is an obvious scheme runner, I much prefer molemen instead. They're cheap, so you get more activations, survivable, so they're good for more than just putting down scheme markers, and they're minions, so count for the various strategies which require minions in specific places.

People also like Silurids for scheme running, which is valid, but as you don't really have many cheap activations (Jackalope being the exception), molemen would certainly be a good investment, which you wouldn't regret.

Dave/sssk

Thanks for the advice.  Molemen are high on my list.  I just picked up Malifaux Raptors for cheap activations/turning enemies into beasts and Siliurids for scheme running.  Wanted to try out their speed and see how they do.  

What are people's thoughts on the hounds?  (all 3 kinds)