Leveticus omnicomprensive guide

Kaos

HiByUnfortunately upgrades looks a bit disappointing. You can give him the pariahs upgrades or standard outcasts but his crew specific aren't so good. Desolate soul is theoretically good but you never get the right suite to trigger it when you need it or you are not able to kill the model since unmaking damage track isn't very strong and without channel things are rough. To the earth return is theoretically good, but he triggers on moderate or superior. This means on models with 8 wounds unwounded you make just one more wound, if they got 9 you make 5 and start to be interesting. If it was triggering on weak it would have been a strong upgrade.

If you aren't facing tanky crews better to leave it at home. If you play vs guild or ressers with big models then you can consider it.

I hope they will review Leveticus a bit since too many things rotated trough channelling and the reliable damage he was bringing on the table. 

2 hours ago, marke83 said:

What do you guys think about Levi's and Alyce's upgrades? I've cut them down to mostly desolate soul, but even they seem underwhelming somehow. I feel like I'd rather have stones or an extra abo instead of two desolate souls which never seem to proc when you need them. Of course they kinda pay for themselves after first success (unless you have to stone for the trigger), but they seem not reliable enough.

From aether/ash I gave up on already.. am I doing it wrong? I seriously feel like Levi is best in his most vanilla form, and the stones are better spent for models/cache. This allows for a quite an elite crew as you're already getting 2 free activations.

Before Channel was changed my standard Levi's load-out was Desolate Soul + Tally Sheet and I always had Hodgepodge Effigy. With this I focused mainly on killing enemy Minions and Enforcers to summon annoying Abominations and disrupting my opponent's game.

After errata I dropped Desolate Soul and Tally Sheet (and Hodgepodge Effigy) altogether as Levi's damage ability were cut so severely I would prefer to have extra stones in the pool than to waster it on upgrades which might or might not be used during the game. I could consider still taking Tally Sheet  but it is better to take Oathkeeper for this extra one shot if needed.

I don't bother to even look at From Ash/Aether upgrades - too expensive, especially From Ash. From Aether brings much needed (0)AP action for Rusty but spending 10+ for Abomination is sometimes problematic as you need this card for attack/defense so again spending 2SS on upgrade which might or might not be used is not what I like to do. Once more it is better to take Oathkeeper.

• Like 1

My take: 

Ashes and Dust is consistently the best model in my crew other than Levi, for two reasons:
     - He's a Swift MI 7 beatstick with a 9" charge threat that's immune to basically everything. Not being able to be charged is a huge drain on enemy AP, especially since many of the models my opponents want to engage with it would much rather charge. His large base size and 2" range let him lock down a decent area, and if needed he can chase down scheme runners or drop markers himself.

- He lets you Alpha-strike something turn one with Levi or gain cards when you need them. He's a perfect target for Levi's Rebirth (0) action, and I'll almost always sac him turn one for more activations and more board control. If you deploy him and Levi correctly, he triple moves with Swift 15" up the board, then Levi moves 4" (which puts him in the 10" Rebirth range due to base size), (0)'s to put himself in base contact, and then finds himself 22" from your table edge with 2 AP and a 12" range on Unmaking, letting you lay down some serious hurt on an important minion or Enforcer. If you have a way to push Levi before he activates so he doesn't have to move (Doxies for me, generally), then he'll have a full 3 AP. Of course whether you want to do it depends on the terrain, the enemy crew, and the schemes/strats, but having the option can be devastating. 

For upgrades I usually take a Pariah, Desolate Soul, and usually to Earth Return, alongside a cache of at least 5. Being able to stone and take half the wounds off of Izamu or Teddy is amazing, as is stoning to pop out an Abom in the middle of the enemy crew. I'll often shoot a Minion or even Peon that I know I can kill over a larger model just to make an Abom and tie of enemy models. Stripping suits and (0) actions can be devastating to some crews, and even if it's just engaging enemy models it'll usually take 1-2 AP to kill, 3 if you're lucky, which is worth a Soulstone any day. 

My crew usually consists of A&D, a 9-10SS combat-focused model (Strongarm, Laz, Taelor), a Dead Doxie (Pariah of Bone), a Fiekorps Librarian, and any other models spec'd to the schemes and strategies. Usually that means either Trappers, Necropunks, or more combat focused models. I habitually struggle against Ressers, but that may be because our only local Resser player is also the best player in the area. 

I'll post again later with a more in depth breakdown of some models and how I use them.

And the new minis??

dead outlaw is good. Can receive damage from abominations to take cards and heal after or make combo with perfomer leaving a anemy scheme and performer puts double negative.

i like terracota warrior.  Mold of the other protect the hitter like howard or another, ancient treasures change upgrades like paria of iron to tally sheet or earth return.

No only levi upgrade, put cout the fiels in howard, make free move. protect with terracota and change scout for oath keeper. Take a positive with mobile toolkit. active howard with nimble and 2 actions. active rusty reactivate howard and make terracota take the damage. reactiveate howard, burn oath and make a nimble and 3 actions. Levi Catapult!!!! it's situational but no one expect :)

1 hour ago, aunathar said:

And the new minis??

dead outlaw is good. Can receive damage from abominations to take cards and heal after or make combo with perfomer leaving a anemy scheme and performer puts double negative.

i like terracota warrior.  Mold of the other protect the hitter like howard or another, ancient treasures change upgrades like paria of iron to tally sheet or earth return.

No only levi upgrade, put cout the fiels in howard, make free move. protect with terracota and change scout for oath keeper. Take a positive with mobile toolkit. active howard with nimble and 2 actions. active rusty reactivate howard and make terracota take the damage. reactiveate howard, burn oath and make a nimble and 3 actions. Levi Catapult!!!! it's situational but no one expect :)

You can't ping Dead Outlaws with Abominations since they aren't Constructs

I'm planning to pick up Dead Outlaws as soon as my LGS gets them in. I'm looking forward to them as an option. I'm also picking up Convict Gunslingers tomorrow, so I'll report back on how they go over.

Other models I consistently bring with Levi:

Dead Doxie (Pariah of Bone): The undead hookers add some much-needed push to the crew. I almost always use it on my own models, either to push them into or out of attack range, or to let them drop scheme markers more effectively. She's also a decent scheme runner for schemes and strata that want markers near your team, since her push is a (0) and moves her as well.

Friekorps Librarian: Healing and CA artillery in the same model, with the option for blasts and furious casting. Generally an awesome model that will never find itself useless. Heal your beatsticks, hear her, heal your support models, CA at incorporeal models, you name it. 

Strongarm Suit: He does everything, as needed. Armor +2, solid DF/WP/WD, and the ability to charge while engaged ala his boss make him an awesome tank,  SH 7, 12" range, and the option to hand out slow make him great on the firing line, and MI 6 with a 3/5/7 damage flip makes his unimpeded charge all the more threatening. 

Hannah: A utility tank, Hannah is mostly a 3" melee range with armor and the ability to copy CA Actions fom other models as a (0). Usually that means the FK Librarian's heal or ranged attack, but it can also target your enemies if you want to gamble for something nasty. It can also copy (0) actions from models with h the Friekorps characteristic, so Lazarus's self-heal, the Strongarm's Charge up, and Lazarus's Assimilate are all options. Assimilate can be used to make another of Lazarus's Grenade Launcher attack, making the two of them a great, if expensive, pair.

More to come.

3 hours ago, OctaBit said:

As someone who's thinking of picking up levi, what are some recommendations for things to get? Ive got arcanist and some 10T's. So I'm already leaning pretty heavily towards iron levi. I don't have the mech rider yet but its probably something ill be getting soon.

Mech rider and steam arachnids are probably the best things to get, as well as a couple of Necropunks   

i still insist that Levi works just fine in Outcasts without the Pariah hiring pool. 

• Like 1

I mean I've already got a lot of the arcanist constructs so I just think it's a good place to start. I've got the spiders, all of gamin, Howard, Joss, coryphee, effigy,  terracotta warriors... and I think that's it.

But ya I don't have any outcast beside bishop. So any advice on what to buy in faction (or out of) would be appreciated.

On 1/16/2017 at 6:51 AM, aunathar said:

And the new minis??

Abominations can only ping constructs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23.1.2017 at 6:36 PM, OctaBit said:

What do people think of titania's stuff with Levi since they're undead?

I think they could shine in certain scheme pools, but by default Levi has better options out there. Pushing enemy models towards your beaters is nice, but belles do it better and  are cheaper. They place scheme markers in btb with enemies, which can be powerful in schemes like dig their Graves. With htw, htk, a (0) push and decent speed they can do some solo scheme running and can beat up most cheap counterparts. Aeslins aura is great if you expect to be pushed around a lot, but I'm not sure if it is 9SS great... 

47 minutes ago, Ajatros said:

I think they could shine in certain scheme pools, but by default Levi has better options out there. Pushing enemy models towards your beaters is nice, but belles do it better and  are cheaper. They place scheme markers in btb with enemies, which can be powerful in schemes like dig their Graves. With htw, htk, a (0) push and decent speed they can do some solo scheme running and can beat up most cheap counterparts. Aeslins aura is great if you expect to be pushed around a lot, but I'm not sure if it is 9SS great... 

They Knights are quite tough - tougher than Belles, so it's a good recipe for, say, Tail'em.

Still waiting for the box to release to try them knights out

On 18/1/2017 at 8:38 AM, Seadhna said:

i still insist that Levi works just fine in Outcasts without the Pariah hiring pool.

@Seadhna is it possible to have an example of such kind of pool?

I'm using actually the "core" crew, so Levi, Rusty, 3x wifes, 4x Abominations, Lazarus, Desolation Engine, Ashes and Dust and Effigy. Probably using just these models, very thematic and with expensive upgrades, I think that the rule changes on Levi were not necessary. I added also Johan as a good anchor. Do you suggest to add some Freikorps? I would look quite another anchor and some scheme runners outside the expensive freikorps, personally.

thank you

4 hours ago, Peppi said:

@Seadhna is it possible to have an example of such kind of pool?

I'm using actually the "core" crew, so Levi, Rusty, 3x wifes, 4x Abominations, Lazarus, Desolation Engine, Ashes and Dust and Effigy. Probably using just these models, very thematic and with expensive upgrades, I think that the rule changes on Levi were not necessary. I added also Johan as a good anchor. Do you suggest to add some Freikorps? I would look quite another anchor and some scheme runners outside the expensive freikorps, personally.

thank you

Models I've used to great effect were Hannah, Sue, Librarian and Effigy. Ashes is always good

Scion of the Void could become an unkillable anchor if played properly. 

If you want a heavy hitter and some control, Aionus is the man. 

Both Bandidos and wretches/winged plague are decent scheme runners (not necropunk level, but decent)

sure, in Outcasts you're not getting Lures or Howard Langston, but there are other ways to shine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any Ten Thunders exclusive models other than komainu and terra-cotta warriors to be considered?

Aside, our potential new Leveticus player is new to minis altogether. We'll find someone willing to assemble Lazarus if she picks that one, but is there anything from Outcasts for his crew that's on the easier end of the building skill curve?

5 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Are there any Ten Thunders exclusive models other than komainu and terra-cotta warriors to be considered?

Aside, our potential new Leveticus player is new to minis altogether. We'll find someone willing to assemble Lazarus if she picks that one, but is there anything from Outcasts for his crew that's on the easier end of the building skill curve?

On your second question: Johan, Sue, Effigy

• Like 1