Lynch advice

KrazyIvan

So I'm trying to take a break from my Outcasts and start using my Neverbon. I have Pandora, Dreamer and Lynch mostly because those masters seem to have some degree of synergy with a group of the same models. For whatever reason I grabbed and painted Lynch and Huggy first out of the pile, so I'll be starting with them. Looking around online he doesn't seem to be difficult:

1. Take Woke Up With A Hand
  2. Take 2 Illuminated
  3. Take a Doppleganger
  4. Take 1-2 Beckoners

Seems straight forward, but I have questions:

First, is Huggy enough of a beater to take the primary beater role. Or, do Huggy plus Lynch put out enough damage to deal with enemy beaters that try to foil your plans? I'm thinking things like Howard Langston, Yasunori, a Mature Nephilim, or other similar beat sticks. Should I try to make room in the crew for a traditional beater?

Second, I read a lot that 2 Illuminated plus 2 Beckoners is pretty close to default for most folks. Is that the case? Seems like that leaves out points for other things.

Third, Tannen and Graves. I don't see them mentioned much when folks talk about Lynch even though they are part of his thematic crew. Are they worthwhile if it costs me an Illumiated and Beckoner?

Of course any other tips, tricks, or otherwise (like what kind of schemes and strats typically get you to pick Lynch) would be welcome!

For me I only take one beckoner but 3 illuminated.

I find this is pretty flexible and if I run Lynch I dont deviate much from it:

Lynch - woke up with a hand, wanna see a trick, endless hunger - 4ish stones

Huggy - FGF

3 x illuminated

Graves

Beckoner

Depleted/tot

Huggy is a top beater and lynch can lay out some horrible damage while graves and beckoner can push and pull respectively to get those illuminated where you want them to be

Im no expert on Lynch, but have played him a bit. He has a lot of killing power in himself and his crew. Illuminated should not be underestimated with him due to the fact that they do 4/6/7 damage on targets with brilliance and the Flay trigger lets you cheat the damage flip even if it recieves one or more :-fate on a mask (maybe not that reliable, but still :)). They also get :+fate on both attack (with ml6) and damage flips if they are in line of sight to someone (Huggy) with the addict upgrade. Between them, Huggy and Lynch himself you do have a lot of killing power. You can also bring Stitched who also benefit from addict on attack flips and can protect Lynch a bit with their cloud.

Graves is a good model, but he doesn't do more for Lynch than he does for other Neverborn masters. He is good if you need him. I don't own Tannen, so can't really comment on him.

I've played with only one beckoner. Mainly because I only own one, but two seems like a rather big investment to me, if you don't go all in on brilliance or need a lot of lures. But both Huggy and Lynch himself can hand out brilliance.

Doppleganger is good in all Neverborn crews. Terror Tots are good scheme runners with him because you can use the ace of masks several times, and The Depleted are good tar pits.

Ok, so something like the following is reasonable to start with to learn Lynch mechanics (obviously variable based on Scheme/Strat pool):

50 SS, SS Pool 4

• Lynch: Woke Up With A Hand, Wanna See A Trick, Endless Hunger/Rising Sun (depending on what I want to do with Huggy)
  • Huggy: Fears Given Form
  • Mr. Graves
  • Doppleganger: Depression (or other 1 SS upgrade for Dopple or Graves)
  • Illuminated
  • Illuminated
  • Beckoner
  • Terror Tot/Depleted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KrazyIvan said:

Ok, so something like the following is reasonable to start with to learn Lynch mechanics (obviously variable based on Scheme/Strat pool):

50 SS, SS Pool 4

• Lynch: Woke Up With A Hand, Wanna See A Trick, Endless Hunger/Rising Sun (depending on what I want to do with Huggy)
  • Mr. Graves
  • Illuminated
  • Illuminated
  • Beckoner
  • Terror Tot/Depleted

Yeah, that looks like a pretty straight forward versatile list! Addict is also a strong and common choice for Huggy. Wanna see a trick is an upgrade that some people seem to like and some don't like at all. Of the old upgrades, Mimics Blessing is a common choice for Dopple. Graves could have Retributions Eye if you expect armor or annoying defense triggers. 

When I run Lynch, Darkness has Addict, Lynch gives him Casting Expert for the 3 AP, I have 3 Illuminated usually, and I don't own Beckoners.  My game really turned around as Lynch when I stopped trying to activate him last in the turn, and instead started activating him pretty much first.  Lynch hands out Brilliance, and the other 4 wreck house with their insane bonus against Brilliant models.  Obviously things change up from time to time, but that's usually a typical turn.  I run Lynch in kill heavy scheme pools primarily.

• Like 1

Yeah, I do the same thing (activate him first). As Woke up with a hand gives you two cards when you activate him last, you could think that's the only way to do it. But he still has access to the powerful attack action from the upgrade which then does 6 damage. And when you activate him first you can use mulligan to set up your hand for the rest of the turn. I like The Rising Sun though. Especially if you are low on stones.

2 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

50 SS, SS Pool 4

• Mr. Graves
  • Illuminated
  • Illuminated
  • Beckoner
  • Terror Tot/Depleted

If you're going to run Huggy with FGF then Rising Sun should be your default limited upgrade for Lynch. With FGF you want Huggy to be in the thick of it draining cards and AP. You should also consider using Thousand Faces as your starting upgrade for any enforcers or the extra slot on Huggy. Worst case scenario is that you don't have any other upgrade they really need and you can get some use out of your leader taking a (1) action after the model with it dies or you switch to Pact and get to draw a card and not have to worry as much about the BJ on that model.

7 hours ago, Azkral said:

I am not used to put more than 2 illuminated. I usually give addict to Huggy. I think doppelganger with depression is a good choice, you can discard the ace of tomes to have another AP.

No you can't. Delight in Despair and Mimic are both (0) actions.

9 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

What are your thoughts on Expert Cheater versus Want To See A Trick? I realize that cuts into Lynch's damage potential, but being able to cheat face down and Squeal seem pretty worthwhile.

I think expert cheater depends on how well you play mindgames and how prone to them your opponent is. Sometimes opponents play within their own minds and simply react to facts on the table and hard probabilities of what is in the deck and don't dabble into things like "is he faking a high card or not". In a way to gauge how prone opponent is you can simply use mysterious effigy instead of terror tot and see how well it does vs certain opponent.

23 minutes ago, Littlewicked said:

I would suggest Lilitu over Beckoners.  She has a better lure and is more survivable.  Also since she is a enforcer she can score and doesn't give up points in hunting party. The only time I would take a Beckoner is if I was going to use it for my main delivery system for brilliance.

You are right, but the built-in push of the beckoner is very useful. I prefer Lilitu with Lilith and a beckoner with Lynch.

I usually run:

- Lynch - Woke up w/ Hand, Endless Hunger

- Huggy - Thousand Faces (swap for Fears or Malifaux Provide later, depending on what I want)

- Doppelganger - Thousand Faces

- Illuminated

- Illuminated

- Beckoner

- Tot / Depleted (based on stretegy)

That's 38 SS, I give 2 SS extra to Lynch at least, so that's roughly 10 SS to play around. Graves is a solid pick with Retributions Eye (sadly, there isn't a third Thousand Faces). A Tot more for Breakthrough an the likes.

I wouldn't say Huggy is a primary Beater. I use him more as an anti-sheme runner or obeying people around. He can die very fast with his low DF and I find Rising Sun makes me to dependent on Brilliance.

I take the Beckoner over Lilitu because of their 4" push after luring and the occaisional ranged attack. But I'd very rarly take 2.

In Turf War, a Zombie list with 3 Depleted is fun.

Sometimes, Stitched make it into the list, especially when I expect ranged attacks.

Note on Huggy and Faces upgrade.

I like the Faces upgrade on him, even if I'm 100% sure he'll get Fears, because this way you don't have to worry about activation in the first round.

For example, if you take Graves and want him to show Huggy the door in the first round, it would be very annoying to maybe have to waste cards for activating 2" near him, or even worse, to lose an AP to walk up to him first.

2 hours ago, Treehouse said:

I often do. You don't have to chuck Huggy into multiple models just because you gave it Fears. I like it to drain cards or even get a good chunk of sheme-runners' hitpoints. But I play Malifaux Provides nowadays more than Fears actually.

Malifaux Provides is so good on everything.  Especially with 1,000 Faces, you can just throw it on someone that's near markers and eat and heal.  I've been considering Huggy with Fears Given Form and Malifaux Provides as a horrific area control model.

Huggy is a very nice anti-shem runner. HE can even force the runners to move away from markers as well, so he has the option to get rid of one with M.Provides and an Interact, if need be. Only thing is, that his 3" ML is a downside if you want to place/remove markers via Interact, as enemies need to be pretty far away.

Anyway:

- fast

- incorporeal

- hard hitting

- can use soulstones

- can use M.Provide

- has an 'obey'

- is 'free'

--> that makes for a very nice model.