Picking your allegiance

Tweak

Which is what I also hope for. As is KE is an incredible powerful Empire, not solely focused on UK forces. I hope that Abyssinia will eventually represent the same, mixing in multiple parts of African tradition and lore. 

From my perspective we allready see this partially in the feathers and war paint. I hope this trend continues and even thickens for certain units, by large because I feel its too cool not to incorporate. 

• Like 1

It further strengthened that Gibbering Hordes was the allegiance I wanted the most. 

(Although unfortunately I'm having a lot of difficulty getting anyone else interested. Nice models, but my friends don't seem interested in anything larger than Malifaux or like...Frostgrave or Infinity... So I might just wind up getting GH to paint and hope someone comes around by the time it reaches retail) 

We still have general assets, stratagems (which Aaron said each faction has around 13 of, 5 of which you choose to bring when you make your crew), and a half dozen or so hidden models per faction to find out about so it may change a fair bit, but:

King's Empire: Shooting and assassinating specific targets

Gibbering Hordes: Melee and strength in numbers

Abyssinia: Flexibility and multiple actions but lower overall wound counts (elite)

Cult of the Burning Man: Spells and mobility (Portals) / deck control (self mill)

On December 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM, retnab said:

We still have general assets, stratagems (which Aaron said each faction has around 13 of, 5 of which you choose to bring when you make your crew), and a half dozen or so hidden models per faction to find out about so it may change a fair bit, but:

King's Empire: Shooting and assassinating specific targets

Gibbering Hordes: Melee and strength in numbers

Abyssinia: Flexibility and multiple actions but lower overall wound counts (elite)

Cult of the Burning Man: Spells and mobility (Portals) / deck control (self mill)

This post was a great help to left brain, which has been waiting for awhile to make its judgment. That judgment is 'I can't capitalize on shooting with the most gun-heavy faction in Malifaux, so reject choosing King's Empire'. Which ought to push me happily over to Abyssinia: love the lesser stompybots, love the under-utilized inspiration, love flexibility in the force, love managing my hand and throwing away cards only when I please. And yet, right brain is unhappy that this locks me out of the biggest giant stompybot and of King's Empire tools of denial--saying "nope, no Glory/no tokens for you" appeals almost as much as "no auras/or pulses or blasts for you" does for Malifaux. So what will decide it is whether I have the tolerance to keep on losing with a playstyle which does not suit me at all, or not. 

• Like 1

+1 to that, when it comes down to it play with what you like best aesthetically.  If the King's Hand is enough to sway you (and for good reason, it is awesome) then go Empire.  If you want the tech-heads, go Abyssinia.  The good thing about backing them is we're going to get access to the beta rules and the Vassal mod hopefully not too long after the Kickstarter ends so you should be able to try both factions out and see what feels best to you before you declare which faction you want shipped to you.

• Like 1

I'm on vacation at the moment, but going to an aquarium and seeing cool sea life makes me want to stick with Gibbering Hordes. And its given me some painting inspiration/ideas. The card reveals have also really firmly solidified them as something I want to play (even if I'll largely wind up just painting and not playing because friends aren't interested...)

I do wish the fish-y stuff was unlocked sooner rather than later. The eel and the speckled creeper/anglerfish faces/murlocs being so far along in the stretch goals that we probably won't reach them makes me sad. 

• Like 1

I'm going all-in on Gibbering Hordes. I like the quantity-over-quality approach, the eat-your-own glory mechanic, and the fact that buying into the swarming faction doesn't seem to be a more expensive option than others. The prospect of buying box after box of Tyranid models is what kept me out of 40k, and the resummon mechanic GH looks like it covers the same ground thematically without the budget hit.

Especially looking forward to the Karkinoi and The Frenzy, model-wise, and Horomatangi too. Honestly, the fact that they bend expectations with non-champion commanders is another plus.

The Cult looks really interesting, but I find their aesthetic too off-putting to get and paint; same thing that kept me away from Jack Daw in M2E.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, D_acolyte said:

Currently cult but I want to do the Court of Two

I'd say go for it. The Cult is amazingly well designed around their mutations and general 'crazyness' so if you want to have a bunch of half demon half human models you will certainly love to play the Cult of the Everburning Man.

I love the look of Gorysche, in general it's incredibly awesome to have a hydra-like model amongst your mutants. I also hope that we'll see some demonic Commanders aswell, somewhere in 2018. 

Looking very forward to the Court of Two. Also to the creations of the fans, afterall you could use a lot of Malifaux pieces to make Court of Two allready. 

The big question for me now is whether I want to go deeper on Hordes, which I'm most interested in from a hobby perspective, or get a dual commander pledge. I still think it's going to be tough for me to demo, since no one I've been soliciting has had much interest beyond smaller skirmish games, and due to location/language/etc. it's increasingly looking more like a hobby project. And if its a hobby project I'm probably going to just want to pick up models I think will be fun to paint and then if anyone expresses interest pick up an allegiance box at retail (or just do a quick demonstration of the rules with a 1 commander mirror match game).

Or if I just want to sit at commander to get my sea monster fix and not spend as much on a hobby project compared to actual gaming projects (more Malifaux/thinking about DBA/something new).

But the latest update, with the Armored Whelks, continues to solidify my allegiance choice. Looks like a fantastic unit, with a shell that's screaming for a fun paint job :)

Yeah, my only question is what I'm going to add at the pledge manager. I'm still completely sold on Gibbering Hordes, but giving us Godzilla as an optional buy is super tempting. I'm still set on just getting the Commander level pledge, since I can't afford more before the kickstarter ends. But at the pledge manager I'm considering adding Horomatangi (an extra commander option feels like a good add on), the Devouring Eel (because it just looks great)  and either Yarazi, Barbed Skulkers or Spotted Crawlers. Just not sure which.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:22 PM, retnab said:

Nope, I'm very solidly Cult :D  Although the fact that Abyssinia can go hardcore Titan themed with Kassa is awful tempting to try out.

Dual commanders can hire "squads" from their secondary faction, but are titans "squads"? I don't think so, but it would be a serious shame if Abyssinian Kassa couldn't hire a kings hand titan. 

The King's Hand is a Titan but not a Squad (same with the Deadnought, the bottom of their cards show what all of their designations are).  You can bring the Steel Legion and Mechanized Infantry into KE with Kassa, but the non-Squad Titans have to stick to their core factions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retnab said:

The King's Hand is a Titan but not a Squad (same with the Deadnought, the bottom of their cards show what all of their designations are).  You can bring the Steel Legion and Mechanized Infantry into KE with Kassa, but the non-Squad Titans have to stick to their core factions.

This makes sense, but still feels pretty disappointing. I feel like Kassa, the titan focused commander, should have a caveat, or maybe an asset, that allows her to bring one non-squad titan from her secondary faction each game.

• 2 weeks later...