Picking your allegiance

Tweak

The Cult all the way.

It was them when I first saw the prototypes for a couple of the Warped. The reveal that the Burning Man was the Governor-General just added to it. Then the info on the Kickstarter just sealed the further. I've loved all the character designs of the squads (the Titan didn't blow me away, but is growing on me and the dual commander just looks too much like a Gibbering Hordes model to get me super excited about it. I love the whole portal mechanic.

When I started Malifaux, I was unsure of what faction I wanted to start with. I was considering Outcasts (glad I waited, I love the plastic versions of the Masters I would have started with much, much more than the metal), Rezzers, and Neverborn. I would wound up going mostly Rezzer but picking up Lynch and quickly expanding my Neverborn shortly afterwards. With The Other Side, it is no contest. I am defintely going for Cult and will get as full of a faction as I can afford.

It's my second faction that's giving me problems. Gibbering Hordes is probably the better idea in general. They're cool and things I'm already getting for the Cult (eventually, if not in the Kickstarter) like the dual Commander and The Court of Two will work with them. On the other hand, I will be demoing the game and it feels better to have a human faction. Abyssinia is my first choice for the human factions, but I am intrigued by The King's Empire because I remember reading something that suggests they might be the Strategem Allegiance.

• Like 1

Gibbering hordes because:  cannibalism = glory, karkinoi look like a centipede and a lobster got it on, and resummoning lost models each turn ^.^
Cult as my second  because : PORTALS!, magic users, crazy cultists
I'd decided on them  both even before  they  revealed the Horomatangi or the court of two links, so those are all sweet sweet gravy.

Have thought of picking up a human box instead for demoing but neither starter for King's Empire or Abyssinia does it  for me aesthetically. Personally the King's Empire look like generic WW units, and Abysinnia I can't not see Eldar mask plates.

35 minutes ago, Parker Barrows said:

by The King's Empire because I remember reading something that suggests they might be the Strategem Allegiance.

What is a stratagem allegiance?

I'm wondering how popular the earth allegiances are going to be?

Originally I was super torn between Abyssinia and the Cult based on aesthetics, but when the rules came out I was all in on the Cult. Their deck cycling and portal mechanics sound really fun and Abyssinia just hasn't grabbed me the same way.

King's Empire and the Gibbering Hordes haven't really turned my head much (not really into strictly ranged / melee focused factions) but that could probably still change on the Hordes end just based on how cool some of the critters look so far.

For me, Gibbering Hordes because there really aren't any other sea monster miniature ranges and I love the creature designs. They're also going to be very different from what I usually paint (humans), and they should be relatively easier to paint quickly. After seeing the gameplay video and the card reveals, their playstyle kind of "clicked" and I knew that was something I understood and wanted to try out. From a fluff perspective, I'm also more interested in learning about Meridion/the other Tyrants. Being aquatic, the GH also make sense attacking any other faction anywhere in the world.

Finally, and going back to the sea monster theme, I'm overexcited to have an excuse to make beach and tide pool basing and terrain.

As for the other allegiances...

The Cult: I love the models for this. But with every model being unique (something great for skirmish games), I know that I'll be tempted to spend a lot more time on each model and it'll be a lot of extra work and time to paint them. They seem interesting to play, but I worry their reliance on tricks makes them more difficult to play or too tricky for their own good. I'm also not sure how to feel about their self-mill/cycling approach to their Fate decks. Basically I'm not sure their playstyle is that appealing to me based on what we've seen so far.

Abyssinia: Really divided on these guys, because I think about half of the faction looks great and the other half looks silly. They seem very straightforward, which is nice. A powerful African faction isn't common, and I think they'll be a lot more interesting to use in demo games than the KE. But I overall have mixed feelings about their titans/mechs. I don't really know anything about them on the fluff side and thats kind of hurting my enthusiasm. The hordes are led by another Tyrant! The Governor General merged with Cherufe and has appeared on Earth! Britain has thrown out the Guild! But Abyssinia is the new(er) kid on the block that I don't know as well. I'd like to! Please post more fluff Wyrd!

King's Empire: Yet another faction of stern men with guns. It's what I always paint (Guild, Imperial Guard, etc). They are both boring and exactly the kind of thing I like. Which makes me boring? I shouldn't like them, but I do. I'm not British, but I lived there for half a decade in graduate school and still have fond memories. They've also received the lion's share of the fluff attention with the Battle of London, and a lot of Malifaux characters with ties them. I also like that they look the closest to the time period (discounting the titan). If I get a second allegiance box I'm kind of leaning towards them at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Tweak said:

What is a stratagem allegiance?

An allegiance that relies heavily on stratagem cards or has a powerful selection of them. I believe. 

1 hour ago, Parker Barrows said:

the dual commander just looks too much like a Gibbering Hordes model to get me super excited about it.

Cherufe was a dragon => dragons like fire => Earthside dragons like the Gorysche are shacking up with the Cult => Horomatangi is a dragon and a good paint job should easily make it look right at home with the cult, I think.

Yeah, Cinnamon Bear is right. I forgot where I saw it, but I remember reading something that made me think they will have stronger and/or more varied Stratagems or have some other synergy with them.

Gorysche has really grown on me since I read about the Russian myth she was drawn from. I'm liking her more and more. Also, her rule set helps move her up from least favorite to really like (honestly, not sure what one I would like more).

I suspect I will like Horomatangi when I see her/his fluff. Just for now, s/he looks like a Gibbering Hordes character that is also part of the Cult. I'm not complaining (I do think the Gibbering Horde is pretty cool), just saying why I'm not super excited. Yet. That can easily change as fluff (and it's card) is released.

We do know a sliver of fluff for Horo, apparently it didn't come through at the same time as the Gibbering Hordes but has actually been on Earth for a long time. It's been dormant due to lack of magic for a while, but after the Burning Man did his thing Horo's awake again.

only thing really keeping me from pledging is cant decide that myself. I keep flip flopping on which one to go for. Im leaning towards Gibbering Hoarde, yet the Cult playstyle calls to me if only I didn't dislike the models. Then again Kings Empire models look awesome....  I hate choices.

7 hours ago, Kelsic said:

only thing really keeping me from pledging is cant decide that myself. I keep flip flopping on which one to go for. Im leaning towards Gibbering Hoarde, yet the Cult playstyle calls to me if only I didn't dislike the models. Then again Kings Empire models look awesome....  I hate choices.

In that case, your choice is really simple... Titan Pledge!

8 hours ago, retnab said:

We do know a sliver of fluff for Horo, apparently it didn't come through at the same time as the Gibbering Hordes but has actually been on Earth for a long time. It's been dormant due to lack of magic for a while, but after the Burning Man did his thing Horo's awake again.

This sounds cool! Where did this info come from? 

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm gunna call Horomatangi "Horace"! 

• Like 1

Also, going back to the topic, I'm 100% behind the Court of Two!

As for Allegiances, I'm definitely picking up everything from the Cult, then it mainly depends one what's what for the second, tossing up between all 3!  My thoughts on each:

• pros
    • cons

Cult of the Burning Man

• Basically love everything about these guys, every single model is unique!  Those Doomseekers & ECB Black Ops look sooo cool! Also, their Titan is a fricken' five-headed dragon! 
  • Their playstyle with the portals looks amazing fun, I usually go for the more tricksy armies/factions, so these seem right up my ally! 
    • Don't really like the look of Fenton so much.
    • Not a fan of deck cycling... so many high cards go to waste...
    • Horace looks a bit silly with his giant right hand... looks like he really needs a girlfriend!

King's Empire

• Very WWI and very plain and human, which is actually a bit of a first for me...  So that does hold some appeal!
  • Seem pretty simple to play which would be a nice contrast to the Cult above.
  • Belle!  This model and her mechanics are wonderful!  I love that super slippery, assassin style archetype.  Charles also plays the archer/sniper assassin to archetype too!
  • Dragoons!  These guys look ridiculously powerful on paper to me!  Sp10 & AV6 with Str6!  Wow!
  • The South Wales Borders will probably make or break this allegiance for me... Love the sculpts!  If they have good rules, I'll probably go here...
  • Kings Hand looks amazing!
  • Thinking of converting them up as Australians
    • Overall look very samey between the Field Intelligence Corp, Infiltrators, Rifle Corp and Sharpshooter
    • The Motor scout looks a little silly
    • Kind of look a little static, a playstyle I hate.  Although with the Dragoons, Belle, Infiltrators (although they look a little underwhelming, but cheap!) and SWBs, they could have a nice balance between shooting and punching!

Gibbering Hordes

• Love a lot of these models, Stormsiren, Karkoni, Devouring Eel, Yarazi all look amazing!
  • like their mechanics and fluff!  Exiled Neverborn/Fae who sided with the Tyrants!  Yes Please!
  • Seem quite fast and able to apply a lot of pressure
  • Also can be ran with the Court of Two (giving them respawning!)  This is a big plus!
    • Not sure where all the Reinforcement tokens are going to come from without hindering their speed.
    • look a touch samey with Barbed Crawlers, Striped Skulkers, Speckled Crawlers, even the Frenzy all looking relatively similar
    • Not a huge fan of the Alpha Crawler, Horace still needs a girlfriend!

Abyssinia

• Quite nice aesthetics, super psyched for an African Allegiance (non-white/Asian factions are super rare!)
  • like the basic premise of high-tech, soulstone-powered mecha-barbarians! (not sure if barbarian is the right word here, but look at the Prince...)
  • Love the motorcycle (much better than the Motor-scout!), Mechanized Infantry, Railgunner, Crowrunners & Electrocutioners (such a shame there's only one with the claws though!)
    • Really don't like the Mehal Safaris's helmets... would definitely change those!
    • Can't include Belle!  This is a big bummer!

Dual Faction KE & Abyssinia is also an Option, Belle, Kassa, Dragoons, SWBs, Electros, Crow runners!  This could actually be a good option!  Probably better to wait till after the KS though...

• Like 1

@Da Git, Aaron gave us that hint about Horo on the Kickstarter comments when asked why he would work with the Cult (I guess he really likes the idea of keeping the Burning Man's magic going).

I keep flip flopping on whether to get one or two factions as well. On the one hand I tend to be a one faction kind of gamer.   But on the other hand if I grab another faction box I can do demo games (and maybe get the wife to play), and the dual faction options theoretically open up all the factions to each other. But on the first hand again I could grab the second faction box later and support my LGS with it. But on the second hand again, limited edition cards. It's all very hard to decide.

• Like 1

I'm already doing the dual commander for two factions. I'm nearly 95% certainone of them is the cult as I'm loving everything they appear to be. 

It's the second faction I'm struggling with.   Since it's going to be for diversity of playstyle, fluff driven, and demos I cant figure out which of the three it will be

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

The coolest part of going dual is that you can go deep into Earth and Malifaux side, which I love.

My concern with going deep is does a gibbering horde against burning man game provide a good demo experience. 

Im planning on recruiting for this game hardcore

Hordes vs Cult kinda screams "manic high speed action in dynamic terrains! Portals! Tidepools! Explosions! Moar Monsters!"

Hm, my 1st faction is probably the Hordes. I like both the Siren and the Frenzy, and in general I like their aesthetic. Plus I like the whole "manage terrain via Tide Pool magic" stuff.

I like KE cause... not sure why, but they're cool. Rifle corps seems pretty strong!

Abyssinia is also great, and I like the Prince being more of a supportive guy. With a rocket launcher.