The Other Side App

Emberlost

Since one of the upcoming stretch goals is an app for The Other Side (and I've heard there's one coming for Malifaux too), I'd like to make a plea to Wyrd

Please, please, please, do not make the mistakes Privateer Press made with War Room.

My fundamental problem with War Room is that it's built on Unity engine, which is a great game engine, but a poor choice for a utility app. It's very resource intensive, which leads to high battery usage. With the first-generation of War Room, I literally could not finish a game using it to track damage. Also, the higher requirements mean lower-end phones can't use it.

War Room's user interface is very aesthetically pleasing, but can be a real pain in the neck, especially when using it to track damage. The damage tracking isn't an issue for TOS, but might be for Malifaux.

For two examples of what I feel are a mobile list builder done right, check out Infinity Army Mobile and Guild Ball Manager. (Edit: Crew Faux is very good as well.)

Apologies for the rant, but I work in software development, and poor UI is something of a pet peeve of mine.

• Like 2

I think it'll work out too, I'm just venting a bit. I got in to Warmahordes just before War Room was initially released. In fact, it's half the reason I got a smartphone in the first place. I had such hopes for it, but I was greatly disappointed. It's gotten better, especially with the new version for the new editions of the game, but I really do think building it on the Unity engine was a poor choice.

War Room is GREAT for list building and card browsing, but when it comes to actually using it to play it's a miserable experience. I refuse to use it for that, actually, unless I absolutely have to -- which is why I'm REALLY not happy that PP is going to stop giving you cards when you buy their stuff.

So yes, take the good from things like War Room, and leave the bad. It's doable -- we have examples of what works and what doesn't. Learn from and fix the mistakes, and we can get great apps for TOS and Malifaux.

The good thing about what they've shown for The Other Side is you won't need an app for tracking the game. There's a smaller pool of needed tokens than Malifaux, and the tokens you need come in the allegiance box. No wound tracking either as all models have 1 wound plus in some cases damageable assets, so everything is tracked by tokens and cards that they give you, without even the need to mark off things like wounds with a marker over a sleeved card like you do for Malifaux.

• Like 2

@-Loki- that seems very correct. I do however hope that Wyrd Games will continue to work with Customeeple for their tokens required for The Other Side, more specifically the 120mm area tokens the Gibbering Hordes create or other required 'terrain elements'. The products of Customeeple have impressed me and as a European it's very awesome to recieve something simply within a matter of days. 

But as said TOS seems to have every good element in a army game so far, from the lower number of tokens, cards required, triggers to remember to movement trays and an overall logical and well thought out balance. The biggest isn't always the best and the smallest isn't always chaff. 

I still hope for a Guild Allience but if that's not possible or comming I'll aim for either The Cult of the Burning Man or Abyssinia, I like the chaotic versus the intellect so playing both eventually is certainly not out of the question either. 

I hope they're able to get some nice looking Portal Markers together, but if not I suspect i'll buy a pack of the 3x 50mm clear orange bases and use them for now. Also as someone who doesn't like using multiples of the same card I hope someone makes a Glory token I can use.