Other Side and Through the Breach

Hagisman

I just bought the TTB books with the Bundle of Holding and was wondering if with the new Other Side Kickstarter if there are going to be supplements for playing in The Other Side? I feel like there has to be. But I'd like to try to incorporate The Other Side into a TTB game at some point in the future.

23 minutes ago, Hagisman said:

I just bought the TTB books with the Bundle of Holding and was wondering if with the new Other Side Kickstarter if there are going to be supplements for playing in The Other Side? I feel like there has to be. But I'd like to try to incorporate The Other Side into a TTB game at some point in the future.

*points at the Penny Dreadful adventure mentioned in the Chronicles advertisements*

A Fire in the Sky takes place on Earth and deasl with the Burning Man. :)

• Like 2

Oy, that would be a big expansion. I'd almost recommend *not* doing that, simply because the sheer size of including all the factions, nations, etc. would severely overwhelm the library, to the point where the setting--Malifaux--would be completely eclipsed. 

I'm sure there will be a "new arrivals" expansion that will cover one or two distinct Advanced Pursuits from the Earthside factions, but the game is called Through the Breach and Malifaux is where it takes place. I think keeping that focus is important. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SnakeoilSage said:

Oy, that would be a big expansion. I'd almost recommend *not* doing that, simply because the sheer size of including all the factions, nations, etc. would severely overwhelm the library, to the point where the setting--Malifaux--would be completely eclipsed.

Theoretically, I don't think it would be too bad to work out. You do a half page to a page of fluff on maybe ten to fifteen nations, going briefly over their history and current situation. You don't have to cover the entire world, just the major players.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mason said:

Theoretically, I don't think it would be too bad to work out. You do a half page to a page of fluff on maybe ten to fifteen nations, going briefly over their history and current situation. You don't have to cover the entire world, just the major players.

Sounds legit. Also, it wouldn't "eclipse" the Malifaux setting because it becomes the bridge between Malifaux, Through the Breach and The Other Side. If anything it fleshes out both sides of the Breach. I'd pay for a book like that in the $40-$50 range if there were sweet maps and such.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, koronuslight said:

Sounds legit. Also, it wouldn't "eclipse" the Malifaux setting because it becomes the bridge between Malifaux, Through the Breach and The Other Side. If anything it fleshes out both sides of the Breach. I'd pay for a book like that in the $40-$50 range if there were sweet maps and such.

If nothing else, the kickstarter has shown us that people love maps. :D

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mason said:

You have to keep it focused on Malifaux though. Any lore should be how the Factions of Malifaux interact with the Factions Earthside. How the Guild tries to keep out the Burning Man Cult, how the Arcanists secretly work with the Abyssinians, etc. Advanced Pursuits based on Earthside Faction units should be limited and with extra hoops for the players to jump through to reflect how rare they are Breachside. 

21 minutes ago, SnakeoilSage said:

You have to keep it focused on Malifaux though. Any lore should be how the Factions of Malifaux interact with the Factions Earthside. How the Guild tries to keep out the Burning Man Cult, how the Arcanists secretly work with the Abyssinians, etc. Advanced Pursuits based on Earthside Faction units should be limited and with extra hoops for the players to jump through to reflect how rare they are Breachside. 

I don't necessarily agree. We've got the "A Fire in the Sky" Penny Dreadful coming out in February, and that takes place entirely on Earth.

With the exception of Gremlins, characters in TTB all come from Earth, so they all have reasons that they might get drawn back through the Breach. Malifaux is important, but not everything in Malifaux should tie back to Earth (or visa versa). Some groups might prefer to run around on Earth, while others might prefer to stay Breachside. If the game can accommodate both playstyles, then I don't see why it shouldn't let everyone play the sort of game they want.

It's not like a book on Earth would prevent people from having Malifaux adventures. :P

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mason said:

I don't necessarily agree. We've got the "A Fire in the Sky" Penny Dreadful coming out in February, and that takes place entirely on Earth.

With the exception of Gremlins, characters in TTB all come from Earth, so they all have reasons that they might get drawn back through the Breach. Malifaux is important, but not everything in Malifaux should tie back to Earth (or visa versa). Some groups might prefer to run around on Earth, while others might prefer to stay Breachside. If the game can accommodate both playstyles, then I don't see why it shouldn't let everyone play the sort of game they want.

It's not like a book on Earth would prevent people from having Malifaux adventures. :P

I could definitely see two ways of doing it:

• Create a supplement/campaign setting book that is TTB.
  • Create a second RPG that is compatible, but separate from TTB.(Similar to Dark Heresy/Only War/Rogue Trader)

Though that's just me.

I'd definitely see a The Other Side RPG as more Steampunk compatible than Malifaux/TTB. If only because Steampunk almost always takes place on an Alternate Earth.

37 minutes ago, Mason said:

Eh, well reasoned I guess. As the line between Earth and Malifaux blurs into nothing I imagine Earthside will become less and less familiar. 

I'd recommend a Fatemaster's Earthside Guide, full of some spoiler-filled lore for the FM's to build campaigns around, and a Fated "New Arrivals" guide for players who want to build a character around an Earthside Faction or Nationality, offering up just enough lore for the average citizen of that region to feel like part of it. Advanced Pursuits flavored by TOS units, I'd like to see an Abyssinian Magical Theory...

9 hours ago, Parker Barrows said:

I'm curious, have Gremlins crossed the Breach to Earthside? I mean, officially. 

There might have been one or two, but the Guild doesn't let them through on the train, so it would probably have to happen through a temporary portal (or a great deal of trickery).