Plug bases gameplay necessity?

RMK

I think the concern for removable pieces is that you have to design the base scenery to take it into consideration.  I think there's a Kings of War style "You can do elaborate fixed dioramas" vs. WHFB "each model is a wound counter" argument.

But if you don't have the removable models, you'd pretty much need an equally visible way of marking damage, at least highly visible (and consistent) "There's a dead model" markers.  It doesn't seem like marking damage on the cards would be good enough.

Are there any cases where it's going to matter which of the plugs on a fireteam have died?

6 hours ago, RMK said:

As far as scenic basing with plugs: it's possible just looks worse. 

I can't agree, it only possible requires a more creative thinking process. Like hiding seems in model/miniature design you can simply do the same in diorama design if you really want to.
My plans as such are a lot of rubble stacked upon each other, which easily lends itself to be cut in three parts so this way you can also easily remove pieces from the Fireteam. 

The only reason for me to continue with plugs on fireteams is that it allows me to mix up the diorama aswell. As soon as I have the product I'll try to share something without an issue. Here an example of something I've done in the past and I guess I should just open up a topic for my crew stuff aswell...

15645420_1211577558949483_1292453873_n.j 
(30mm base)

So as always, the only creative limitation your working with is a limitation you put there yourself. 

I actually like the large bases to be for display and storage of the units. Not sure how it aesthetically look when playing on a game mat/board. Since it does not seem important the position of the models within the larger bases, I am thinking of using 80, 100, 120 mm "rings" for actual gaming.

Edited by Akai
  • Like 1